Carbon Veil (Tissue)

Has anyone here had the opportunity to try, test, use carbon veil/tissue? I received several samples from a company per a request, and seeing it “in hand” I am wondering how you used it?

Looking at it the very fine carbon threads are randomly placed in a matrix (Not sure if it “breathes” of if solid laminate) and if used on some of the lightweight boats like the RG-65 to provide a cover over the balsa without a lot of weight - can it be applied directly? Does it need an epoxy/glass cover? Could several layers be used to lay up an epoxy based hull?

I ran across an ad for it, and now that I’ve seen it, I’m trying to determine best way to incorporate it into a build. It may wind up being a part of a planned solid wing (sail) or perhaps wrap multihull crossbeams for strength and torsion resistance. Would it work as a deck material with traditional fabric patches at below hull access points?

If you have used or tried any of this stuff, I would appreciate your candid observations and opinions - and “HOW” it was used.

Thanks in advance, and I will post additional comments here as I experiment with it.

Good question Dick,

I am interested in this too, I understand Claudio uses carbon tissue as a skin layer. I can see a benefit in reducing print through but would like to know if it has a binder that is compatible with Epoxy?

Also where to get the best deal on it would be good (if I can even get it in NZ??.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary -

got my small samples from APC Composites in California. Here is info printed on their web:

Carbon Fiber Tissue

[FONT=Arial][b]Available in .2 Oz/ Sq.Yd. and .5 Oz/ Sq.Yd. - 35.5" wide[/b]

ACP's Carbon Tissue  is an advanced non-woven carbon fiber veil incorporating 100% carbon  fibers bonded together in a random fiber matrix. Carbon Tissue is  compatible with all epoxy and polyester resin systems. Can be used to  provide a smooth covering for bulk carbon composite structures and to  add stiffness with minimal weight gain. .2 Oz is .002 thick and .5 Oz is  .004 thick.

Product is 35.5 inches wide (less than 1 meter and single yard (also just under 1 meter) goes for $14.50 for the 2 oz. and $15.75 for the 5 oz. If you buy 100 yards the price drops to $4 something a yard. (U.S. pricing and sizes)

Here is their website: [/FONT]http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php?cat=251 A little on the expensive side, but if you don’t need much …
[FONT=Arial]

They do ship international. Here is a portion of their shipping info - but visit their site, click on shipping policies and read info below that have more info on policy.

[/FONT]International Shipping

Currently, we ship via USPS International Priority with Insurance for all International Shipments. This is significantly more economical then UPS Worldwide Expedited. However, you need to be aware of the possible complications such as length restrictions, poor tracking ability and a lengthy wait for reimbursement for lost packages. ACP also offers international shipping through UPS, which offers reliable and fast shipping, but they can be priced significantly higher. We have included a rate calculator to both USPS and UPS so you can get a ballpark figure prior to making your shipping selection. If you chose USPS, please read and understand the USPS Priority International Restrictions below.

UPS Shipping Calculator: https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_us

USPS Shipping Calculator: http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Dick, have used this stuff before and it is, I believe, widely used by aeromodellers for strengthening balsa structures, which is what I used it for. It does provide some strength/stiffness to balsa for little weight. It can be applied directly and doesn’t have to be covered with glass, but bear in mind that you’ll rub through it pretty quickly if you rub down as part of final finishing. For structural items, such as crossbeams I would stick with cloth laminates. I also recommend using a low-viscosity epoxy; when using a medium-viscosity I found that the roller tended to pick up the fibres of the tissue.

Ray

Veil is used to create resin-rich composites to minimize porosity; it works well in tanks and pipes to make that whatever is intended to be contained, stays contained. Typically, lay-ups using veil will result in 85-95% resin content which is great for creating a tight surface or backing up a gelcoat layer… but has almost no structural value. Maybe it has a use as an outer skin on an RC-sized hull, but I can’t really see it being well utilized beyond that.

mtp

Hi Gary
I’m in NZ and can get some , I have some around in my work shop.
contact me
www.ultralite-radioyachting.net

cheers
tony

Thank you Tony, I may take you up on this, what Mtp has said in one post up seems to have some merit. I cannot see how you would get any tensile strength from carbon tissue, much the same as the use of chop strand mat…and if this is the case then why would you bother spending the extra money on carbon tissue when glass tissue would achieve the same result…as I said I like the idea of reducing print thru and see tissue as a viable solution over the lightest cloth I have been able to get in NZ which is 100 gr/3 oz…well please correct me if I have got it wrong.

I am in the market for a rmg winch quite soon and see you have futaba fasst?? radios at a reasonable price …be needing another of these soon too so will drop you a email via your website.

cheers…Gary.

Fibreglass Supplies sometimes have 26gms/sqm glass cloth in hobby packs of 2 or 3 metres.
They also have some 21gm cloth @ $6/m with a $10 surcharge for cutting.
Contact Joel, 3 Civil Pl Albany, Ph4761 377.

Thanks for the heads up Rusty, I have been buying most my glass and bagging supplies from Fibreglass supplies in Albany for near on a year now, and they have a great deal on stuff and very fast service…but about 4 months ago they seemed to just not have the lighter cloths in stock any more, tried quite a few times over a period of 5 months with no luck so went elsewhere…however …as you say…maybe they are back in business now so I will give them another shot… be needing to restock on cloths very soon…just cut up the last of my 3 oz cloth tonite…

Okay Gary,here from you soon.
Do give Joel a call at Fibreglass supplies , he’s an old work mate of mine we both used to work at Sp High modulus.

cheers
tony O

I have dropped you an email Tony, still hoping to find some answers to my question above…I would use carbon tissue if it offered advantages over plain glass tissue, my primary use would be for the first skin to reduce print thru issues.

Cheers

Gary