Carbon IOM?

I am about to begin constructing an MDF plug for a Vanquish IOM a buddy of mine and I are going to make two hulls from (for personal use). He is a very experienced big boat builder, mostly class A cats. He has the ability to make pretty much anything we could ever want and has alot of extra CF lying around that isnt large enough to do any good on a full sized boat but would work for a 1m RC boat perfectly. Is it a waste of time to build a vaccuum bagged CF IOM. Keeping in mind the tools and materials are basically free. We are both engineers that love to dabble in technology and glass just doesnt do it for us. i guess I answered my own question so Ill stop rambling. May end up with USOM’s after I talk to him a bit. Ill let you know the decision.
Andrew Miller

millrtme
sounds like a good project, good luck with it.
and if the price is right i will take a hull if you guys make more than two.
cheers mate .

such is life!

[:-scared]Andrew, You can of course build your IOM class hulls from anything you wish, but I hasten to point out that if you wish to register them as International One Metre Class hulls, they would be ineligible, as Carbon Fibre is prohibited as a hull material.[:-weepn]
I will not bore you with the reasons for this as there are a number of sites where this is discussed. If you are interested I can list some for you.[:-tophat]
I would however like to encourage you and your mate to build these hulls using glass cloth which would then enable you both to experience some great racing and fellowship with your local IOM fleet[:-shades]
This class is the largest and IMHO the most competitive in the world.[:-gnasher]
Don`t let that intimidate you though as fun can be had at all levels of skill and commitment.
In fact if it is no longer fun then give it away.[:o)]

Do it NOW before it`s too late.

You will actually be hard pressed to build a CF IOM hull lighter than a Glass one.
Stiffness is another issue but the light glass hulls are stiff enough.
I generally aim for 200g for an IOM glass shell.

Brett

The problem with registering the boats is as far as I know, we would be one f a few people (if that) in this area with IOM’s and seeing how I dont plan on traveling too much it doesnt seem to be a problem. I realize following the rules and having a light boat are one thing, but to me, and unpainted CF hull just looks to insane to pass up, but as I mentioned with a little talking they could end up as USOM. Thanks for the input.
Andrew Miller

I am a techno freak. My vote goes for the carbon. Beautiful shiny carbon… my precious…[:-hypnotized]

Well, you will probably end up with a lighter hull, for an IOM, by not much but lighter. The problem I see is that you will most likly not have a lighter boat, especially for an USOM, in order to sit on the designed waterline your bulb could be 5.6-5.9 lbs??. The USOM now are 5.5-6 lbs ready to sail??.

Gio

Well if I end up with a USOM, it will be a spec hull, but thats about it. I have some other ideas for it with a different rig and other things. So we will just see what happens.
Andrew

If you want to build an IOM, best idea is to build one to the rule.

If you build out of carbon fiber you will have no base line to judge your boat’s performance and you won’t be able to legally race with others in the class. Going with carbon you have made a decision to go it on your own and turned you back on the largest fleet of r/c racing boats out there.

Further, the problem wth your idea of turning a carbon IOM into a US One Meter is that due to different class rules, what makes a good IOM doesn’t make a good USOM and vice versa. Again, a decision to build out of carbon fiber will put you at a disadvantage in the USOM class.

All in all, seems like the advantage of building with carbon (looks, slighty stiffer for the weight) versus the disadvantages (totally shut out of any possibility of legally racing in the IOM class and not being competitive in the USOM class) make the choice an easy one.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Roy Langbord

All in all, seems like the advantage of building with carbon (looks, slighty stiffer for the weight) versus the disadvantages (totally shut out of any possibility of legally racing in the IOM class and not being competitive in the USOM class) make the choice an easy one.

<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

…unless of course you just WANT a carbon one then go for it

19 out of 7 people have trouble with statistics

If you would to build a carbon one meter look at the F100, its a box rule class.

OAL 1000 mm
Bmax 350 mm
Max Draft 575 mm
WL to masthead 1850 mm

Try www.formula100.org

Roy- If I go with a USOM it will be a USOM design, not just an IOM turned USOM.

JohnB- I have looked at the rules and feel that if I were to build it for F100, that it would be a slower one b/c it wont have a wing rig, and/or canting ballast.

If you are starting with an IOM hull, in all liklihood it will not turn out to be a competitive USOM.

If you want a carbon USOM, look at the fast boats in the class (the Sterne Venom and some of Steve Andre’s later boats come to mind) and start the design process from there.

To the best of my knowledge, outside of a small group in France there is no organzied F100 races anywhere in the world.

Roy- I am either building an IOm Vanquish or a USOM of an unknown design. I m not going to try and make one hull fit into the other class. I have several sets of plans and will be making at least two plugs and then deciding which way I want to go.

Andrew:

From your first post, I think you are not planning to compete with those boats (at least on an sanctioned manner)… Go for it and please post pics of your progress.

Marino

The more I practice, the luckier I get.

No competition planned, for several reasons, 1. I dont know that i will have time, 2 the only group of competitive sailors around here that i know of are, CR-914 guys, and 3. it doesnt interest me all that much, I would rather test new idea and stuff rather than worry about how fast it will actually be.

Then go for it, take what suits you best from whatever source (classes) you find and have fun. AND take pictures and share them with us.

Personally I’v done something similar; I chose a small class (RG-65) because for starters it falls within my price range. I’ve already completed a hull, and I’m in the process of begining a new one (in the same class), to gather all the learning from the first one.

Main purpose of all this is to have fun and some relaxation…

Marino

The more I practice, the luckier I get.