canting keels

skandia’s keel broke cause they scaled down the hydraulics & then when the ram bent, the crew disconnected it, the keel was then free to move & that damaged the pin. but they dont give a rats cause they were already building a new keel because of changes for this years syd hob.

I see said the blind man to the crippled nudist who put his hands in his pockets & promptly walked away.

the reason skandia’s rams broke is because they were too light for what they are. The CBTF MaxZ86’s rams are larger than skandia’s were-and skandia is a much bigger boat than the 86’s.
When you cut costs on a 98 foot boat, its gonna come back to you someday. With all these people in sailing saying about how dangerous the canting keels are, why has nobody mentioned that the boat that won the race-Nicorette- was a canting keel boat that had been on the water less than 2 weeks? Nicorette’s race damage was cracks in the hull, nothing whatsoever to the keel and/or its mechanism. Skandia is the only boat to suffer a major malfunction of the system, and that is because it was underbuilt.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by USA2

, why has nobody mentioned that the boat that won the race-Nicorette- was a canting keel boat that had been on the water less than 2 weeks? <hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

And then there’s alway’s Pete Goss’ 1996 Vendee-Globe solo circumnavigation in “Aqua Quorum”, a very successful canting keel design. His book “Close to the Wind” is a good read & his turning around to rescue Raphael Dinelli in the Southern Ocean raised him to near rock star status in GB & elsewhere.

Too bad his Team Phillips effort didn’t have the same success [:(][:(]

And pretty much all the top open 60’s, 50’s mini 6.5’s…

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by USA2

why has nobody mentioned that the boat that won the race-Nicorette- was a canting keel boat that had been on the water less than 2 weeks? Nicorette’s race damage was cracks in the hull, nothing whatsoever to the keel and/or its mechanism. Skandia is the only boat to suffer a major malfunction of the system, and that is because it was underbuilt.
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
well, well Nicorette also hugged the shore all the way except for across bass strait & didn’t push hard, they have since broken their rig as well. Skandia & Zana were both offshore where the bigger waves were.
I am just pointing out this fact, not saying that canting keels are bad (break down/whatever), infact i believe canting keels are great, otherwise i wouldn’t have built mine.

I see said the blind man to the crippled nudist who put his hands in his pockets & promptly walked away.

I realize there is a slight problem with a canting keel, where, as it s canted it doesnt have the effect on the boat that standard keel would, regarding forward motion and sideways motion. What would everyone think of a simplified canting keel boat, with a high aspect fin with the ballast on it, and a shorter fin with a lower aspect ratio directly in front of the canting keel. The forward of the two fins would still create resistance to “slididng” through the water due to the wind force. This would also allow for a single rudder and less to worry about while sailing, but retain SOME of the benefits of the canting keel. I realize that this idea negates several of the advantages, but it might be a start to a boat that would be easier to sail than a full on CBTF R/C boat. Maybe a beginners version of something. Just my $0.02
Andrew Miller

That is true about Nicorette’s tactics, but what does breaking the mast have do do with canting keels…? There was NO damage to Nicorette’s keel and mechanisms

well, lets see, it isn’t always the canting keel that breaks (& i doubt the wind was as strong/forces as strong as in the hobart). whilst Skandia & Konica Minolta were both pushing hard, forces bigger than expected, both boats damaged. you can’t compare the conditions of the 3 boats fully unless they all sailed in exactly the same conditions which they weren’t, so i can now say that how do we know that Nicorette’s keel wouldn’t have broken off if they were sailing in the same conditions & pushing as hard as the other 2? you can’t prove it, you can’t say that if it had been in the same conditions it would have still been going strong.

good question. They were sailing as hard as the 98 footers until they fell apart. Then, obviously they slowed down. its hard to say whether Nicorette would had suffered damage had she been pressed to the limit. I bet the mast still would have broken before the keel got around to breaking though

mmm, i dont know if they were pushing as hard, the boat was practically brand new, they wouldn’t have known when to push & when not to push because of this, whereas both skandia & km probably both had more of a knowledge of how hard they could push because they have both been around for over a year now, both sailing in very tough conditions a lot of the time.

you think Skandia and KM were pushed too hard, or that their misfortune was freak accidents or design fault?

mmm, a bit of everything there, pushing hard, had some bad waves, & a bit of a design fault, remember i aint trying to get into a argument with anyone, just pointin out the facts & stuff we dont know about.

i wasnt trying to argue anything, i just think its interesting to find out other people’s opinions on this subject. Sorry if you thought i was arguing about it.

i know you weren’t, but other people might think so.
what is your sailing anarchy name?

SA name- US51208- the boat i used to sail on.

ahh, cool, will add you to my friends