Can you identify this boat?

Ok so its Aussie II but does anyone know the people/club who build & sail these? I stubmled across this pic ages ago and have been trying to find the website again but so far no luck. I think its in Queensland somewhere but thats all I remember. Any thoughts???

Thanks

Tranth

<font size=“1”>19 out of 7 people have trouble with statistics</font id=“size1”>

Download Attachment: aussize2.JPG
56.65KB

look’s like it could be popup manufacturing but i dont think they are around any more .you can get them from victor products but not as big!

such is life!

It is indeed a POPUP boat, and there have been some writings on the boards from guys that have bought their molds and are wanting to start producing the boats again here in the USA.

I think we still have two of them here for sale if you are interested… I will have to check and see if they are still around, if so I would be happy to get rid of them.

www.LudwigRCYachts.com

From what I’ve heard (and if memory serves me right), the guys over at Warehouse Hobbies were the ones to acquire the molds. They’re into larger gas monohulls, but I’m not sure where they are in their Pop-Up developement.

Travis
AMYA #13417

Don’t forget to have fun!!!

The latest purchaser of Popup Manufacturing (as of several months ago) is listed below. You can contact him directly.

Don Spielberger
Loyal Hanna Dockyard
LHDockyard@aol.com
(585) 494-0027 (USA)

Thanks guys
I’ll follow the leads!

<font size=“1”>19 out of 7 people have trouble with statistics</font id=“size1”>

Hi Guys, the boat in the picture is indeed a model of Aussie 11. There is a mould currently in existence in Sydney, Australia. This particular boat come from the Willougby mould. He made it from the original drawing of the designer, Ben Lexcon. I might add it has been slightly modified when it was being built by the designer because the designer didn’t quite like the wake it produced as a model!Only the designer and the builder know how it was modified, it was so small.

I knew both the Builder and the Designer.

The rig on this particular model is exactly the dimensions of the full rig of the EC12. This modification was put on , to simplify a given Sail Area for the class. Willougby being the manufacturer of the Australian EC12 Mini Mariner boats. While the boat is similar in size to the EC12s, its power through the water is something else again. Reflectively, the design is about 20 years newer than the EC12. Under this present rig it can carry it well into 15 knots of windand the boat is about twice as fast as a current EC12.
Yes, it has lead in the wings of the keel. The hull comes in one piece with the keel attached and one pours the lead in , down to the keel. Ah La EC12 fashion. Hope this helps.

I might add the picture was taken at Springfield Lake in /near Brisbane , currently the home of Brisbane Radio Yacht Club

Sorry to keep running this out but the current owner of the moulds was looking for a buyer for the moulds some weeks ago.

If you are interested , you can contact me. (No tyre kickers please) and I will furnish the Telephone or Email Address. I though the price was cheap. No I’m not the owner.

I saw these hulls when I was in Sydney for the State champs and was quite impressed a good looking hull and nicely finished.

It looks like a boat made by Popup Mgr, but it not. The kits from Popup Mgr had a smooth deck without a cockpit and whinches. I wish the Popop Mgr had this type of deck detail. So where could I buy a boat like this?

And on the Seventh Day, God awoke and saw that the winds were good, seas were calm, the sun is shinning, and all that he had made was good. And on that day, he rested from all his work, which he had done, and went sailing. ~~~~~~~~~~_/)

The hull of this boat probably holds the record for the most manufacturers. I have no idea who came up with it first, but I have seen at least 4 different “companies” claim it as their own.

I have seen more “POP UP” labels over the years so I guess you give them the authorship by Eminent Domain. [:-baseball]

www.LudwigRCYachts.com

With Steves help I think I may have found it. I’ll post more pics when I get them

Download Attachment: Aussie2a.JPG
76.39KB

Well Wind Warrior, in opne of my previous post , I said if you were interested to give me a Email and I’ll send you details Okay.

This particular Aussie 11, I can vouch for it be ing what itis and where it came from and that it did indeed come from the designer’s own drawing for this boat. What maybe is not known was that there was an even bigger version made aswell , about ‘A class’ size, that the Designer and the Builder were working and experimenting on. These two people had enjoyed doing something together, where they trusted each other’s abilities on. I was told about it as they were doing it but the boat was going to come ouit about 7 foot long and I considered it too big for me. It was envisaged to have multipul winches etc.

One of the feature of the Aussie 11 was the unusual hatch in the form of a “T” which can be just seen in the latter photo. I can tell you it is not practical in practise, for it is difficult to seal. In front of the mast it has a semi -circular track in the deck to take the jib sheet rope.

I saw the first one out of the mould and it was set up with all the gear like the original boat.

Its a pity now but the boats didn’t sell when they first came out because of some problem with maker. I rechecked my latest info on the moulds and there was two moulds made, one has gone to somebody in The national capital Canberra (Aust) and my mate has still got the other. The reason this boat didn’t sell is because nobody associated with it could do marketing and the same problem remains the same today.Again anybody interested in it contact (email ) me.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Tranth

Ok so its Aussie II but does anyone know the people/club who build & sail these? I stubmled across this pic ages ago and have been trying to find the website again but so far no luck. I think its in Queensland somewhere but thats all I remember. Any thoughts???

Thanks

Tranth

Download Attachment: aussize2.JPG
56.65?KB
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

I’m the guy in the Picture who owned the AustII. It’s an exact 10th scale replica and uses full genoa. The pic show a jib used in heavier winds.
Regards Blachdash41

I heard yesterday that the mould for the Aussie 11 had been sold and the new owner was interested in moulding them. I will post more info when I hear. I only hope they come out as a one design class, perhaps , for this boat has power to burn and it does it all right.

If your interested in a bit of America’s cup history , this is for you, and with a top performance to boot.

Alrighty, so heres the story so far.
The boat in the first picture is a 1/10th scale Aussie 2 (thanks blackdash) but the other pictures is an Aussie 2 at the same scale as an EC12. This was actually the boat I was looking for (thanks Steve for the help). So now Ive got some moulds and have built a couple of test hulls to get a handle on laminates, weights, stiffness etc and am pretty close to putting this back into production should anyone be interested.
But heres the thing.
I’m a little bit undecided about the rig setups. When these boats were originally produced they carried the same rig as an EC12 so you could just get a new Aussie 2 hull, stick the rig & radio from an EC12 in it and go sailing. The thing is this boat can use more horsepower and because of its semi scale appearance the EC12rig looks kinda small. Personally, I think I would like to build a boat which could use a genoa or a spinnaker (Hi Doug!) or whatever and free up the design a little (maybe keep EC12 main but allow other sails too) and give the ?class? a more scale like appearance. The problem is of course that this gets more expensive and complicated than just switching over the EC12 rig and may be a bit daunting for people thinking about buying the boat.

What do you guys reckon? EC12 rig or somethingnew?

BTW Ive attached a pic of one of my boats with the genoa… just because its cool[:D]

Download Attachment: [ AC2 genoa.JPG](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/tranth/2005626184849_AC2 genoa.JPG)
19.12?KB

Somehow I was under the impression that the first boat and all the others that followed were going to be the same rig as the then Australian EC12. The manufacturer was making EC12 ast the time so he could use all the same stuff above the deck. As you so richly put it keep with the KISS principle.

Whether the boat is under-powered or over is beside the point, in my thoughts. The boat has to look good what ever weather it sails in.This can give to people wanting to put Genoas up if they want too but can one use a Genoa on ALL points of sailing? Will it look like the washing hanging out there on a run.

I’m beleiver of boats being in -controll eraspective of the weather.

that boat looks awesome. and I am sorry. it looks real fast. any chance of you telling us how you swing it past the mast? then pinning it?
nice job guy . nice job indeed
cougar

long live the cup and cris dickson