Bustle a la Britton Chance's Mariner

Hi!
The scaling possibilities have been dicussed under several posts in the Local Pub. The bustle developed by Britton Chance for the 12-metre Mariner is an interesting case. It was almost looking like an extra transom. In model scale it was found to work properly. However, Ted Turner found it troublesome, to say the least. Thus, Couragous was recharged. However, the designer Hasse Malmsten is now testing it on a 2.4mr. If it worked in scaled 12-metre version, the 2.4mr-bustle probably can work as well. And perhaps on a rc as well? The Malmsten site is (general information):
www.malmstenboats.nu
The progress of the project will be reported on the site:
www.24mr.com
Regards,
Booster

I can remember a Lauie Davidson boat “Shockwave” verison ??? built in NZL in the 80’s??? with a Mariner bustle. I think (beleive-not lieable???) was not the fast boat built.

Hi JohnB!
I am big a fan of Laurie Davidson. With yachts like the Fun?s (quarter and one-tonner, respectively), Pendragon (started as 3/4-tonner and bacame a 1-tonner), and Waverider (halftonner) I could see the bustle grow for each new design of his. At the 1/4-ton Cup in San Remo, Italy 1979 the bustle had grown to proportions that not even Helmer Pedersen could master. Helmer had previously won the 1/2-ton Cup twice with Waverider. Obiously, there is a limit where the bustle will not boost any longer. Regarding the Hasse Malmsten 2.4mr bustle he can easily reshape it to optimum design using micro-balloons. Perhaps this is the first time such an iterative bustle process will take place?
Regards,
Booster

Hi!
Bruce Farr designed an interesting yacht for Crown-Prince Harald of Norway, a FRAM number XVI or something. A one-tonner, I believe. The bustle was there, but instead of flatting the stern out like Laurie Davidson, Ed Dubois et al (approximately parallell with the water surface), he designed it pointing strongly upwards. Almost like the Americas Cup yachts in Auckland (no concavities are allowed in AC). The yacht showed superior speed. I believe it won the 1-ton Cup. Perhaps the design of the region after the bustle is the important thing…
Regards,
Booster

Hi again JohnB!
A strange coincidence of Laurie Davidson an Britt Chance: Britt Chance was the first designer in AC history to changing camp, designing Chanceceer for Baron Bic, France. The second to change camp was NZ Larie Davidson to One World, US.
Regards,
Booster

Actually, there are several I can think of that changed camp, so to speak, before Laurie Davidson and One World.

Johan Valentijn - a Dutch guy who worked for Baron Bich designing France III, and was also heavily involved in the design of Australia I. Australia I looked much more like a Valentijn design then a Lexcen design, although Lexcen got credit for it. He was also involved in one of the 1987 American campaigns (Eagle?)

Doug Peterson - Co-designer with Laurie Davidson of Team New Zealands first Black Magic, the one that absolutely dominated the 95 AC. However, when you look at the hull, it has Peterson written all over it. A lot of his signature design touchs and none of Davidson’s (at least that I could see). He also designed the first Prada in 2000.

So, there are at least two designers that jumped nationality before Davidson.

One last thing, while Chance designed Chancegger for the baron, it was never allowed to compete for France in the AC due to the nationality requirements at the time. It was built strictly as a trial horse, although I am fairly certain that Andre Mauric (I think he designed France I) studied it very carefully when penning his design for France I. So, since the nationality requirement didn’t apply to boats not designed to compete in the AC, the changing camp thing was irrelevant in the case of Chancegger.

So, perhaps Valentijn could be considered the first to change camp with regards to the America’s Cup, although there has never been a Dutch challenge so I don’t know if you could consider his move as changing camp.

So, I would say that the first “true” changing camp in the AC would reside with Doug Peterson.