Building Swing Rigs

Brent, did you panel the sails?

Andy,

Yes the sails are panelled. I use a simplified “Claudio Gadget” to make them.

Looking at your rig I have one thought that may or may not be applicable. All my rigs sail with significant twist in the main and jib. Admittedly they are higher aspect rigs so I would expect them to need more twist than your low aspect rig. Do you think allowing the main to twist in addition to going to the double club jib might help?

Take care,

Brent

Brent,

Please expound on this “Claudio Gadget” method. Inquiring minds want to know.

I understand Claudio gadget, I can’t think what you did to simplify it. It’s a stick fastened to another stick. You bend one stick to create sail shape.

Look here for more info. I usually start on page 33.
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?t=3110&page=33

Have fun.

Brent - for sure!

Here are some pictures of the “Old Campaigner” BC1 sporting my current quiver of swing rigs for comparison. Since I’m not great with the site it will take me two or three posts to fit them it seems.

1st 180"/1160mm A rig
2nd 180"/1160mm slat rig
3rd 180"/1160mm low aspect rig
4th 144"/930mm rig
5th 90"/580mm Legal B rig
4th

Take care,

Brent

Pictures 3, 4 & 5.

Take care,

Brent

thanks Brent

Can you describe this rig a little. Sail area ratio, rig design? It looks relatively easy to build. :slight_smile:

thx

Yes sure ~ I made mine from 4mm carbon tube rotating in an ally tube.
The offsets were also ally and i used 0.8mm stainless wire stays between the top and bottom booms My V12 sails very well with it in light to moderate winds.

I copied this from Gary Hoyt’s website
Hope this helps

The fundamental difference of this patented rig is that both the boom and the horizontal gaff are carried out to the side of the mast by a special offset arm. This provides a totally clean leading edge to the mainsail, free of the windage interference of the mast, which penalizes the performance of conventional mainsails.

This offset arm also allows the forward projection of both boom and gaff ahead of the mast, creating a balanced rig that enables easier trimming in the same way that a balanced rudder enables easier steering. The Offset Rig also delivers an important new safety feature by significantly softening the force of the jibe. The approximate 20% of the sail area that is carried ahead of the mast acts as a brake by slowing the swing of the sail across the boat during the jibe.

A tensioned stay connects the forward end of the horizontal gaff to the forward end of the horizontal boom. A similar tensioned stay connects the aft end of the gaff with the aft end of the boom, which assures that they will both act in concert, avoiding the wasteful twist off that has traditionally afflicted gaff rigs.

For reference, Here is where you can find the information: http://www.garryhoyt.com/id19.html

It looks like I will need some 6mm carbon tube, 3mm tube, and 2mm wire.

I never realized that the rig was off set… that is a nifty concept…

so when you set up the offset rig, do you set the mast on the center line of the boat, or do you set the mast step offset of the center-line of the boat such that the sail would fall on the center line… I looked at he picture on the hoyt website, and it looks like the sail is “leaning” on the mast when its on the port tack…http://www.garryhoyt.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/BR02.jpg that cannot be fast… and how would one compensate??? larger off-set…

You gotta watch the video! (there’s a link above the picture.) It explains much of your questions.

The only thing remaining for us is how to build the rig for a Footy. I think my idea of the offset will work. But how much offset? Maybe enough so the sail won’t touch when the wind pressesit towards the mast- 10-15 mm? Mr Hoyt suggests just making the boom(s) a little longer.

It looks like the top boom ( the gaff) is able to pivot independently of the bottom.

Should we bother with the mast sleeve?

i never though about the offset and basically a catamaran when flying a hull is an off set rig… but I would think. that if you move the mast to windward you’d get a higher resistance to healing when on a given tack. if yout ake it to an extreme. put mast and boom on the windward pontoon of a catamaran and see what happens… and then put it on the leeward side and see what happens. I’d bet it capsizes more readily on when on the leeward side… take a look at my simple cut and paste rather than having the sail offset from the centerline (I still believe that if the sail is offset it would sail better/faster on one tack Vs another) why not keep the step in the center and then offset the mast. the footy isn’t going to put the extreme stress on the joints like a larger boat would…

The video still only showed a brief snippit of the boat on a port tack. and the narrator even mentions that its something they need to overcome. so I think the mast offset would need to be great enough to keep the sail off of the mast…

It’s just simpler that way…

seems like a PITA to build one. there are aluminum tubes that are “airfoil” shaped. but another option is to use a preformed alerion/rudder sectoins of balsa. but thats heavy/weak

I guess the other obstacle is ensure the leading edge (headstay) stays nice and tight… what about…rather than having an offset mast. make the headstay and back stay solid maybe a carbon rod. you’d have to have the boom and step beefy enough to prevent the twist as the wind hits the sails. I attached a crappy pic…of course this eliminated the “Clean leading edge”
black lines are mast booms all attached as one unit. red lines are the “sail”

simple yes, but dealing the scale we are dealing with…1/2" offset could make a huge difference in handling…

This is my V12 with a “hoyt” rig

I’d be interested in how you made your offsets, Andy, They must have some significant stress from both the stays pulling together.

Are your stays a fixed length or adjustable?

Mr. hoyt tells us that the offset sail makes no difference! Can you elaborate on your point?

thx