Build log: Star 45

I have a problem with buying birch plywood for planking bottom hull (I need the plywood with lengthwise growth rings, but I can only buy with crosswise growth rings) :sad:
That’s why I decided to plank bottom hull with wooden strips (side & deck will be plank with plywood) but I don’t know what wood should I use. I want to glass all surfaces after planking. Like this:

This bottom hull is planked with spruce and mahogany, but I want to use only one type of wood.
I heard that wooden strips of spruce, fir & mahogany are very good for planking hull. What do you think? :confused:

i have never planked a hull… that being said, nice think about planks is that they will bend much easier to deal with compound curves than ply… I’m still struggling with using my veneer…

plus, planking will look much better… I’ve always had a thing for wooden albacores…
http://www.spinnaker.com/~waynec/sailing/albacore1297.html love the diagonal…strips…

Hello! :smiley:
I know I haven’t updating my build log, but here I am. I didn’t have much time to build my Star 45, so as writing here.
I finally finished planking the hull ;D

After planking I surfaced the hull

I don’t know if I told you how I was cutting plywood stripes. If not here’s the video :smiley:

//youtu.be/Vm_Jauz2bzI

Sorry about the quality, I don’t have better camera so far.
Unfortunately, I don’t have much time right now to finish my sailboat. ;(