Build from Plans or Kits

I think the Trimaran are great boats, I wish I had a RC version to sail. I rather sail than build. So are there and easy to assemble kits?
If not, Then which trimaran plan would you all recomend?

Nope - no companies making production trimarans that I know of.

Do a search of archives here as there has been a lot of discussion, ideas and info provided.

Also email member Ian Sammis as he is building trimarans (F-48) from hulls only up to complete boats. They are BIG and so is cost! 1.2 meter x 1.2 meter platform (48" x 48") and .89 sq. mter (1400 sq. inches) of sail area.

Also, search will indicate a couple of plans avialable from the net for free - and also some from Traplet Publications.

Good luck.

<font color=“green”><u>EDIT/ADDED:</u></font id=“green”> <font color=“green”>I know Ian has built and supplied several boats. I have no problem suggesting him to build for you if price is acceptable. Others who indicate they will build for you - my advice is to ask for references and check them out before sending money. Ask for photos of actual completed boats and ask how long it took for the boat to arrive from the builder. We have had several people post they were building boats and none ever appeared. Like all internet purchases - proceed with caution when sending money - as others can attest. I understand issues happen to stall building if it is a private builder, but the builder MUST keep you posted, and no money should change hands until the boat is done and ready to ship. At least I wouldn’t do it! If legitimate builder, a down-payment will be OK for materials if they have good references. If questions - PM me off-line and I will share my views in private.</font id=“green”>

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Dick Lemke

Nope - no companies making production trimarans that I know of.

Do a search of archives here as there has been a lot of discussion, ideas and info provided.

<font color=“green”><u>EDIT/ADDED:</u></font id=“green”> <font color=“green”>I know Ian has built and supplied several boats. I have no problem suggesting him to build for you if price is acceptable. Others who indicate they will build for you - my advice is to ask for references and check them out before sending money. Ask for photos of actual completed boats and ask how long it took for the boat to arrive from the builder. We have had several people post they were building boats and none ever appeared. Like all internet purchases - proceed with caution when sending money - as others can attest. I understand issues happen to stall building if it is a private builder, but the builder MUST keep you posted, and no money should change hands until the boat is done and ready to ship. At least I wouldn’t do it! If legitimate builder, a down-payment will be OK for materials if they have good references. If questions - PM me off-line and I will share my views in private.</font id=“green”>
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

I won’t say ANYTHING before April 15t…

that said, maybe Anthony from the UK:
http://www.apolloboatservices.co.uk/
but the shipping almost killed me! so I had to give up atm
Anthony is building a cat and a tri at different stages! Email him if you are intersted…or as Dick said, Ian Sammis.

And I still believe in the multis [:)]

Cheers

-Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm

lol this should be good
you want my advice. your first boat. build from a kit. and dont get too complicated. then go to plans.
i am not too sure , what is out there for plans. but i am getting KITE.
cougar

long live the cup and cris dickson

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Idealist

Unfortunately Ian Sammis cannot be found currently -…- he still owes me a set of F48 cat-hulls
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Ho [:D] Ho [:D] Ho [:D] - this is truly ironic… the guy who wouldn’t send the boats to people who had paid for them is now in the same predicament.

<font color=“red”><center>[:-devil] Ain’t “paybacks” hell? [:-devil] </center></font id=“red”>

<center>[:-angel]</center>

Came across this link, a UK retailer for a small German trimaran built by Jamara.

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/trimaran_three_stars_5200.html

Robbe is evidently on the point of offering a new trimaran as well.

Dumas offers a tiny Hobie cat kit. A guy at our pond radio controlled one. Very ingenious and admirable work, but not a reliable Saturday sailing machine.

I suspect the problem with the manufactured model multis is basically that they are too small to sail very well. Maybe there is some sort of scale effect that works against them. Perhaps Dick could comment.

Withal and nevertheless, this Jamara trimaran looks like an attractive package to me.

Same boat as presented on Jamara’s site.

http://shop.jamara-produkte.de/product_info.php?cPath=78&products_id=213

Suggested retail is about $221. I notice they also offer a small catamaran.