Booms

Is it a bad idea to make booms out of pine reinforced with fiber? The aluminum I was able to get is 3/8" (plans called for 1/4" diam.).

I think 3/8 is way to big for a boom.

The booms I will make are 8.26" and 7.08" long. Ideas?

Marino

The more I practice, the luckier I get.

marino
this will cause some concer. but have you check out kite stores? they have carbon firbe rod. for some of my IOM i just use 1/2 pine dowel. the dowel is strong. and robust, this is a good thing it you are transporting the boat. i dont know what you are building . but the bigger the size. the more stregnth you will need. just remember nzl 82 in the first race. that finger tip boom just shatterd
cougar

long live the cup and cris dickson

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>just remember nzl 82 in the first race. that finger tip boom just shatterd<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

now now, please dont remind us, it still hurts to think about it!

lol sorry steve
but i could not help myself. i did not mention the water that was being shipped did I
cougar

long live the cup and cris dickson

I just found a new (at least for me) RC store here in Dominican Rep. They don’t have anything for sailing,but there are some support tubing for choppers that are alum. 1/8" diam. and are long enough. But at RD$ 800 (US $ 26) they are quite expensive…

My sails are going to have some 345sq. in. of area…

Marino

Sporting goods store = arrow shafts. Probably a bit overkill for your sial area - but has to be less expensive than $26 (USD)!

Looks promising! Thanks!!!

Marino

Found’em

[:D]

Marino

The arrows I found are a lot lighter and the right diameter I was looking. By joining two of them (by a screw) I get exactly the height I’m needing, 20.5 inches…

Should I put a sreader in the joint? If so, how can I do them?

What are the general dimensions were spreaders are used?

Marino