Boat Retriever

Well, Normally I use a weighted line or a fishing rod and getting tired of that, I bought this boat to use as a boat retreiver just in case and now I’m thinking about how to outfit the boat. What do you guys suggest? Bumpers, grappelling hooks, outriggers or what?

if you bought THAT boat. you have to be nuts to alter it?
that boats looks great. dont change a thing. what some us os use for a rescue boat is a stupid boat. that we made/ we took a 1/8 peice of lecen and cut into a half moon shape. then using twist ties we tied a pool noodle. this allowed the boat to float. then using a electric motor to swing a prop we mounted it like a swamp boat. this could then me used to run out and push the boats apart. it looks stupid but it works for boats on the surface. i am sorry for the boat that hits the bottom. but if that is the case you boat above will not have the power to bring it up. you will have to walk out
great looking boat thou
cougar
long live the cup and cris dickson

Have to agree with Cougar

DO NOT MODIFIE THE BOAT!!!

Lots of clubs have the Vac u Tug as a rescue boat that they do minor modifcations to.

Go this route or build Cougars “stupid boat”

By the way cougar post a picture of this monster for us to see

Jeff
Alberta

So what kind of modifications do they do to the Vac u Tug?

as I do have a Vac-U-Tug…

I use the upgrade motor wit a 7 cell battery…it can handle my SW without any problem!

Wis

_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

EDIT: I know that the VAC can aslo handle an ODOM

Rcher,

I would think outriggers would be your best option. You could hang fishing nets from them and it would remain somewhat scale in appearance while adding some ectra functionality for retrieving broken boats.

There is an RC trawler out there that I was looking at for just this purpose: http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/images/ROBBE/Kormoron.jpg

We figured we could add a channel for a winch to deploy the outrigger booms and a channel for line with a grappling hook on it. so you could motor over to a disabled yacht and deploy the outrigger to snag the boat and then motor back to shore…

• Will

Will Gorgen

I was thinking the same thing, Will. Add outriggers to the rear mast with grappelling hooks attached. I think you can do it with just one channel raising and lowering the outrigger. You have to drop the outrigger anyway, so you don’t pull the boat over while towing.

I like th out-rigger idea. Or maybe you could attatch a giant robot arm to the roof of the deck-house with a video camera so you can un-tangle snarled boats with the greatest of ease.

If I had that boat I’d get rid of the prop and put propper sails and a keel on it.

I have a little thirteen inch plastic tug-boat model that I’m thinking of putting a sail and keel on. The shape is closely related to sailing vessels of the time.

Have fun-

Hmmm, I do have a wireless video camera.[8D]

But I don’t about robot arms. Linecutters sounds like a pretty good idea.[:-devil][}}:-|>>][:-alien]

Our club uses a Vac-U-Tug ( http://www.vac-u-boat.com/ ) with the drive upgrade for Soling 1 meter recovery (10 pounds.)

The boat itself is great for pushing the Solings around when there is no wind and the rig is still standing.

Unfortunately, many of our recoveries don’t meet the above criteria. Two situations usually:

1. two boats become entangled, as a line on one gets caught on a cleat or boom of another. (Yeah, we’ve gotten better at mounting cleats on the bottoms of booms.)
    or 2. A boat is dismasted, due to wind, failure, and/or a collision.

For either of those two situations, we use the tug to tow a line from land out around the boat(s) to be rescued, and then we pull in everything by hand. Hand power is a lot stronger than most any RC boat will be able to generate.

Also, this came in handy when a boat went into the weeds. We used the tug with a hook on the bow, ran it into the weeds along side the sailboat, hooked a shroud and pulled everything back.

On our last emergency recovery, our usual 250 foot line ran out, so we’ve moved up to a longer line. The nylon braided Mason’s twine from Home Depot does the trick, although it sinks.

The Vac-u-boat site has some helpful hints about determining where to attach a tow point so that you don’t lose maneauverability, as well. The further back you put the tow point, the harder the tug will be to turn when it’s pulling anything substantial.

Hope that helps…