Bill Korsgard RIP

I am very sorry to hear via USA Footy of the death of Bill Korsgard. I never met him, although I did speak to him on the phone, but he always struck me as a man of great intelligence, decency and dedication. I, for one, will greatly miss his sometimes acerbic comments.

And, of course if anyone is able to pass them on, my condolences to his family and immediate friends.

Nice sentiments Angus

I talked to a neighbor who stated that a memorial service will be held on Sunday. I also conveyed a message to his wife (Dena) that he will be missed by his many sailing friends at RCSailing.net.

If you want a symphathy card delivered to his widow, mail it to his neighbor:

Tim Heath
6031 Old Middleton Rd
Madison, WI 53705

Atten: Mrs, Dena Korsgard

Here is link to a youtube video taken by Bill’s 17 year old daughter

www.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D68F5BGaKeXU&v=68F5BGaKeXU&warned=1&client=mv-google&gl=US&hl=en

Bill was 59.

The 10/08/08 issue of the Wisconsin State Journal contains the following obiturary:

Korsgard, William “Bill”
MADISON
William “Bill” Korsgard passed away Monday, Oct. 6, 2008. He was born Sept. 17, 1949, to Fern (Webster) and Harold Korsgard. He is survived by his wife, Dena; and daughter, Ingrid. Memorial service is Sunday, Oct. 12, 2008, at 11 a.m. at the pond located just east of Pasqual’s, 100 Cross Country Road, Verona. In lieu of flowers, donations to NPR.
Cress Funeral and Cremation Service 6021 University Ave. (608) 238-8406 www.cressfuneralservice.com

A sad day…
Sympathy and condolences to his family and friends.

Thank you for posting the information.

Bills Posts:
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/search.php?searchid=102359

That is so sad hear. We lost one of the good guys! My condolences to his family
Bob

This has been one of those things that shock us back to reality. For Bill – it will allow him plenty of time now, to devote to his sailing passions, and keep watch on the rest of us.

I appreciate your kindness in letting me know, and will pass the word among fellow Twin City radio control sailors. As I recall – his last email was an outline of a r/c iceboat regatta he was pulling together.

I met Bill here In Minneapolis during the One Meter One Design sailing championships in 2004. I had corresponded via forum and email with Bill prior tot he event, as he was also (as many know) interested in “FAST” sailing - multihulls, ice boats and land yachts. I just had a mild stroke at the time, and on the first day of our meeting at the Nationals, Bill proceeded to remind me that I was there with my son and grandson to watch what all three of us enjoyed, and that my minor stroke complications could easily have been worse. Since then our emails and views often overlapped and personal family details traded.

I will long remember his friendship and sharing of landyacht ideas and wish him well in his next journey. My thanks once again for the kindness of your notification. I have extend my sympathies to Bill’s family. I’m wasn’t sure if Dena read his email, but she does – and even in this time of grief, she took the time to acknowledge my note. She, like Bill are “class” people!

Fair winds Bill, my friend. Keep your batteries charged, your runners sharp, watch for the wind shifts and keep watch on the rest of us until we can get together for that “Big Regatta you will have already planned.

Richard (Dick) Lemke
Hastings, Minnesota

I came home yesterday to this sad news on a number of different forums. Bill will be sadly missed by many people. We were lucky enough to meet Bill for the first Sheboygan regatta last year and to have him stay in our home for the event this year too. He was a great guy and true gentleman, I’m glad that Jan and I had the chance to know him a little and spend some time with him. Our future regattas will always have a space missing where Bill should be. Our thoughts are with you Dena and Ingrid.

Rest in peace Sir,

Graham and Jan McAllister