Balmain Bugs

<center></center>

<center>A close up of a “Bug” - courtesy and on behalf of Steven Crewes
close up is a 12"er </center>

<center></center>

<center>On behalf of Steven Crewes
Titled:
"Chasing the model skiff in Sidney Harbor ? circa 1930?s … note freeboard !?</center>

<font color=“red”>Edited, pciture size, Wis Mod</font id=“red”>

While we are going to look at these sort of photos for there a lots. You might like to look at www.themodelyacht.com

While I’m endeavouring to learn to "load " a web page. I haven’t got anywhere yet shipmates but I’m trying. Just bear with me . All the stories are there and a new series book to go on but this is going to take time for an old dog to learn some new tricks

Well guys , I don’t know about you lot but I’ve been busy as all heck. I’ve been busy writing the next book about “Building the Balmain Bug”. This book will also include a chapter on how to sail these craft.

There have been a few things of late that have come up about these beaut little boats. I’ve recieved a couple of pictures from a few people, that I want to share with you and I will get my mate on these pages to post them again, because he made such a good job last time.

I have been off the airwaves for a while , been having computer troubles but , with a new set and stuff , I’m rearing to go again.

Its with regret I have to tell you that Bill Bowry died the other day, his name cropped up in the first book, “Sydney’s Model Racing Skiffs” he was 87YO. Its like watching another era passing. I spoke to Georgie Mc Googan yesterday and he is building two new model racing skiffs, he’s about 85 and going strong.

There are a couple more Bugs being built , both 12"ers. I saw one the other day when I was in Tasmania that was built out of Huon Pine and it smelt magnificent and looked good too.

To the people who bought that second book “Australian Model Racing skiffs” there was a chapter about the Derwent River 50. Well I had word the other day that the people who collect them in Hobart, that they had actually found the one, shown in the book, onced owned by Percy Batt. It is going to be restored. They have started a register of these boats and have 21 on the list.

Well - my old buddy Steve finally caught up with me, and on his behalf, here are a few more photos of a couple of “Bugs”.

I opened the 26 incher and thought - “Cool”. Then I opened the 6 incher and was really impressed by it’s compact size. Finally, when I saw his 8 inch “Bug” it completely blew me away. Never saw that much sail area on such a small hull !

Thanks for sharing Steve - glad to help posting photos to share with others.

<center>

</center>

<u><center>All photos courtesy of Steve Crewes</center></u>

Dick Lemke
F-48 #US-06
MultiONE #US-06
Class 3 Landyacht #US-196
Minnesota, USA

I just got the June issue of “Wooden Boat” magazine…there’s a nice article on the 18 footers that appear to have inspired these Bugs.

Bill [:-thumbu]

You hit the nail on the head , Well done. The model skiffs are a type of the real thing and not a model. And all about these little boats , the competitive ones that is, matched the full-size practice from the colour patches on their sails(in place of Numbers) Cash prizes. Sailing courses and also the betting that went with all these types of boats. They all attracted the Gamblers especially on a Sunday afternoon in Sydney’s winter in the 1930/40s.