Balmain Bugs

Thanks for the help, Stephen…I’ll contact Earl today. [^]

Bill

Steve, you mentioned the importance of a thin hull, so I’m wondering what your thinking is about carving versus planking the hull. Are there pros and cons?

Thanks…Bill

[:-pirate] Steve, I have a couple of questions please.
What is the length of the keel fin typical for a 12inch skiff?
Also the weight of the bulb?
I hope these types of dimensions will be revealed in your <font color=“orange”><font size=“3”>“How to build a BUG” </font id=“size3”></font id=“orange”>book
Thanks Mate.[:-paperbag]

Do it NOW before it`s too late.

g’day , Sorry I haven’t been home for some days . Been doing some research.

The first question about planking a hull. Yes you can plank a hull. This is also a time honoured way of doing a hull. And Yes shipmate it will come out as light as a properly carved hull. Some can’t do this method and some (like me) like the ‘feel’ of wood as the shavings peel off.

Most of these boats were as I mentioned built by shipwrights and they all had their own versions on what or how their little creation should look. I saw Dennis McGoogan quite recently launch a 12incher that had a 2ft keel on it, with an unusually large wide fin on it. of about 3" or more wide. The standard (if there was a standard) should be about 2inches wide.

Now as for the weight . You tell me how much wood you got out and I will tell you what the weight is type of thing. I had a letter(not an Email) from someone in Auckland that built a 12"er that he said he had 13ozs on the bulb. His freeboard on his craft with everything on was 3/4 ". He was doing real well.

Also Bill, if your planking, remember there are some pretty complex curves in one of these hulls. Some of my mates have learnt some new swear words doing these cute little boats.

Hello anybody, is there someway of posting a photo on the forum to explain a point, say for instance about a keel? I’m new to these forums and I haven’t quit got the drill. Steve

Bill if it is any help . The frame for planking is set in a frame like a picture frame, with the frames of the hull sticking out both sides. I can send you a photo if that would help. It is done like that so the hull can be worked on in any position in a vyce.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Steve Crewes

Hello anybody, is there someway of posting a photo on the forum to explain a point, say for instance about a keel? I’m new to these forums and I haven’t quit got the drill. Steve
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Hi Steve

You can use the “INSERT A FILE” feature (paperclip icon) directly below the message reply box. Make sure photo is under 100KB size (usually 3x5 or 4x6)at 72 dpi resolution. It will show up as a clickable link that others can click on and photo opens in a new browser pane.

or

To imbed photo into text message is a bit more difficult, as it has to be located somewhere on the web (your own private web pages) instead of your personal PC’s hard drive, or you can save in your album here (See top of forum page in “RESOURCES”). If no album there - email Chad and he will set one up for you. I keep many of my photos on a free image server site. There are quite a few good ones out there. I happen to use “IMAGE SHACK” for mine. Once you upload a photo there, you have a variety of ways to show it - from a clickable link, to a thumbnail, to a thumbnail that gets bigger when you click on it, to the full image. The site is at: http://www.imageshack.us/index.php but they don’t offer a photo album of all your pics to see at a glance - a personal list of your images is available however.

<u>Common courtesy </u>- reduce photo size/resolution to allow fast upload/view for dial-up modems, and also to prevent the forum pages from expanding in width to accomodate the big photo size. When they (pages) expand, viewers have to use the horizontal scroll to read text posts or view big photos. Normally, image resolution of 72 dpi and a size of 4x6 (max 5x7) inches is easily viewed and of resonable size.

Finally - email me photos and I will be happy to post on your behalf like I did for Rich Matt regarding his spinnaker sheeting photo in that thread.

Thanks, Stephen…I’ve seen the picture of the planking frame. Don’t know if I’ll go that route or not. Based on your point earlier, carving might be more practical. Haven’t heard back from Earl yet re availablity of your book, so it’ll be a while before I get a plan anyhow. As usual, I have more projects going right now than I can finish, so no rush…Bill

I posted on feb 9 aqbout some measurements for free board on a 12"er it should have been 3/8th " not 3/4". Sorry a senior moment.

Just to let you all know is that I will be doing a new web page for Balmain bugs(Model Racing Skiffs) soon. Similar to my www.themodelyacht.com and one of the features will be the serialization of the book I’m just finishing on “Building the Balmain Bug” with the relevant photos.

There will be other top writers doing stuff in their own kindred fields. Stephen

Thank you Dick, I read every word but I must tell you while I do several web pages etc, I don’t do the actual loading bit. your offer sounds great, thank you. And thank you for explaining it all, your a shipmate. Regards

MUDHENK send me an email and I will make sure your needs are satisfied.

Thanks, Stephen, but I just got a reply from Earl today. He thinks he has a copy - in John Snows snowed-in garage. If they can’t find one after digging John out, I’ll let you know. No rush for now…Bill

Well Cougar I think we are trying to compete with Footy but as we can all see it is going like a speeding trains.

I reckon we’ve got a good bunch of blokes in Balmain Bugs and I hope they stay , for I think the ride is going to be good. There is a lot of pictures to share with them, the one that didn’t make it to the books of fit into the story and these will be on the new web page. I hope they continue to tell of their experiences for BBs are starting to happen or pop up all over the World. Someone from Switzerland bought both books recently . Now what would someone there want Balmain Bug books only they know but , What the hell its a lot of fun , Just like Footy.

I really don’t see Balmain Bugs as competition with Footys, myself. As some of you know, I’m trying to establish Footys as a recognized class in the USA this year, so I’m pretty involved with them. But I’m here too, not to spy, but because of my interest in these little boats with the big sailplans! The way I see it, the relationship between the two is more like Footys are the modern derivation of their “vintage” Balmain Bug ancestors. Footys are specifically designed for remote control racing, while BBs are more suitable for free sailing. I see no reason why the two can’t happily co-exist, just as we have high-tech Marbleheads and VMs here now.

Bill

I’m chuckling at myself because I just realized you guys weren’t talking about “Footys,” you were talking about “Footy!” How embarrassing! [:I] Please excuse my inappropriate reply - we don’t have footy here, so I was slow to catch on. [:-cry]

Bill

Well I like a chuckle I try to do it every day, somehow the world looks better.

You know Buggers that the most asked question of all the questions I get asked is about rudders. this amazes me for the least important part of this boat is these big rudders. These rudders are only to put ‘weight’ on the sails or to keep the sail pushing with the wind. So mates don’t worry to much about rudders only worry about how they look in profile.

What I thought I might share with you today was a letter from a Bugger in NZ.

And I will parraphraze it, to save space. He will know whom I talking about.

He says "after reading your two books and your web site I rebuilt my 6"er. What I ended up with was: A sliding keel and a large Round rudder. No R/C. Rigging and deck fittings like the photos.

Performance: On the wind, with the keel just slightly astern of the mast it sail well for a 6"er. Sails ‘Flat out’ with the main and the spinnaker on the same side.

Weight: all up weight is 645 grams. Weight of lead is 360 grams.

With the keel forward in the ‘on the wind’ mode and the boat level in water , the freeboard is about 3/8th".

all you who are concenplating a boat I thought I would use somebody elses experiences, to give you all a bit of confidence, that it can be done.

Dick I would like to take up your offer of putting photos up for me butI can’t contact you S

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Steve Crewes

Dick I would like to take up your offer of putting photos up for me butI can’t contact you S
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
Steve - check your email - I sent you my work email address for the photos.

Dick