Average weight of home built IOM

Hello all,
I was wondering what the average weight of a home built IOM would be, what do people see at the regatta’s for weight. I know that we want them as light as possible, but for the home builder using balsa, bass would or pine they must be coming in over the minimum. So how heavy has people seen. Maybe some measures would have that information? It will be a while till I build my next boat and I do know I can cut a lot of weight out but untill then, how much is two much?

Andrew

My balsa cored, glass inside and out, Vanquish came out about 50gms over minimum weight when complete. There is no reason that it could not have met minimum. I used more epoxy and overbuilt in several places that didn’t really need it. I would rather not be way under and have to add lead. I would rather add epoxy/glass to the hull/deck to reach weight minimum, but have a stronger boat.

You can work out a target weight for the IOM hull.

Weigh the A rig, the Rx, servos, battery, rudder, ie everything except the fin and ballast). Subtract that from 1500 gms, and that is your target.

As Hew said, it can be done, and I too would rather have the weight in the hull giving strength and durability than in corrector weights.

thank you hew and John,

I understand how to get to minimum weight. What I am actually asking (maybe no one will admitt it) is what are the heaviest boats people seen sailing? How much over weight?

Andrew

@ A.B.
if your boat weights 4200g then your shell is bullet proof as well. Due to the class rules minimum weight of 4000g it is very easy to build the boat near or at minimum weight.

Happy sailing
Phanchita

As Siri suggests, the class rules were framed to allow the amateur builder enough leeway to build without having to worry too much about weight saving.
Because of this most builders have not published their weights because it is not important.:confused:
The best and most competitive IOMs are all down to the minimum allowed weight of 4000 grams with the maximum keel weight of 2500 grams. Just a tip here from an official measurer "always allow a few grams for non calibrated scales" :rolleyes: The most competitive owners will ballast their B & C rigs up to the same as the A to ensure they dont go under the minimum with the rig change, since they are so close to tolerance. :scared:

Hi,Well the information that you have given is really very good. But i don’t have any idea about this to share with you. But i will try to get it for you.

Istanbul