Australia II class

nautic12

Rusty it went fine on www.nautic12.org

Liked the web page except that a warning came up on the “down load” but your probably fixed that now.

All the people who I’ve shown My boat to, are enthusiatic about it, I told you it will sell itself. There should be a market for ‘statics’ as well. With a bit of nostalgia for sailing history.

Your on a winner.

Steve

I read on the website http://www.radiosailing.ourhobby.com/ about the history of the EC-12… and it says quote:

“Unlike some boats, this one in particular has a real problem as the winds get up in strength. “Up in strength” are the key words here, for in most cases R/C yachts can handle at least 10 to 15 knots of wind. No so with this 12 metre, for anything over about 4 to 5 knots, it starts its gyrations to an alarming degree”

If the boat is suffering from gyrations to an alarming degree in 6+ kts… don’t blame the boat… look to the guy holding the transmitter for the reason why.

My anemometer cannot even accurately measure below 5 kts because it stops spinning… otherwise known as a flat calm. The EC-12 has performed well with an “A” rig up to 15 kts from the very beginning.

Since we are talking about LONG ago, how do you like my boat? This was created in 1984, and is approximately 60" LOA and uses a wing keel. WOW! WHAT A COINCIDENCE!

Nice Boat Larry and I might add nice workshop, too.

Larry , your a sailor, you can estimate 5 knots and 12 knots when the little waves roll.

Well Larry, your hull on the bench is really nice but it is not an Aussie 11, thats for sure but what the hell , it should sail alright for a bit of fun.

Steve

What differences do you see between them?

larry
I think the main difference is the bow, and keel placement. if i am correct ( and i could be wrong) a2 had the an almost straight line from the front to the leading edge of the keel. and the keel was place behing the 1/2 way point. I am thinking you did star and stripes. from 87?. but that is just a guess
cougar

Hi Coug.

Larry, the differences I see basically are these and this is only from your beaut photos. (May I say here that it is a good Web page.)

The bow is not right, it should at the top come almost vertical to the waterline.

The hull line from the bow to the keel has this sort of knuckle in it to lessen the LWL, about third of distance down from bow.

The underwater of the aft hull from the keel to the rudder in not even close. In , this area the hull is totally wrong. The hull where you go down to meet the flat aft sections is not right, for it in actual fact steps down at the rudder, as a bustle and the balanced rudder is off the end of this bustle. So consequently all that aft section are not good.

Coug. The keel on A11 is in about the centre of the hull. Transposed between sections 6 & 5.

I should say here that Ben Lexcen was a really good R/C designer at this time ,as well designing some really competitive 10 raters and A class’. So he knew of the advantages of our R/C balanced rudders.

Steve

I think the website address you are after is http://www.victor-model.com/australia.html

They are quite cheap. I understand a class in New Zealand is getting underway and the kitsets will be available for christmas. They sail well and it is my understading a website will be up for the class shortly.

cheers