Aussie II class video

http://media.putfile.com/scene-6web71

Its a bit rough but gives an idea of how the boat goes.

Hope to post some better ones next week

Troy

Execellent video.
There is some work to do on all models with overlapping genoa headsails.
They look great when hard on but not good when eased.
What can we do to help this?
Any ideas anyone? Would this model look any good with a self tacking jib or does it then become just another model yacht instead of AUSTRALIA II.

Ian,

Thats exactly the point! I dont really know what is faster (still trying to figure it out though!) but I just think the genoas look good. They look like a twelve metre.

I’ll post some pics of a similar boat but with a self tacking jib for comparison.

Troy

Troy
Could you post a drawing or link of your jib sheeting arrangement?
Thanks
Don

that is a great video. of love the fact that the boat can turn quickly. and that genoa looks real nice. would not mind trying that out. keep us infromed
cougar

Here you go
http://www.12metreyacht.com/images/stories/boat/genoa%20winch%20setup.pdf

Thanks, many questions may follow.
Don

fire away…

I went out to the shop and built a mock-up of this. It appears to me that unless you’re lucky the first time that this could take a lot of adjustment and re-adjustment to make it work right. Am I right? Did you arrive at any rules of thumb that might make it easier to set up for different sizes of boats? It would seem to me that there would be some relationship between jib foot length and the amount of travel of the moving blocks. What make or model block did you use for the travelling blocks? Where should the mast be in relationship to the front block of the continuous loop. How’s that for a start.
Thanks
Don

anyone seen Larry lately??

I feel like he could have answerS

I would suggest it does not matter which is the “faster” setup, whatever you decree as the standard for your new class is what will be used by all.
Certainly the self tacking jib is easier to manage but the overlapper looks so cool.
I have seen an arrangement where a jib boom is used which telescopes inside itself to tack and is then extended with pull from the sheet.
This seems to make the genoa easier to manage.
I will try to find some drawings.
Any thoughts on spinnakers?

I think Yachtie is wiling to make a “new” class with spinnakers…
Sure it looks cool, genoas or spins!! both are great…

Okay here goes!

Yes the amount of travel needed has to be calculated first. I measure the distance from one block (say stbd genoa car) then its up to the stbd shroud, across past the mast to the port shroud, then back to the port block. On this boat that equates to roughly 600mm.

So we need the genoa clew to move at least 600mm. If you want the sheets to be slack mid tack (so the sail can be eased right off downwind) then we need more than 600mm travel, I opted for about 850mm on this boat. The RMG winch has the ability to limit its maximum travel and I set this to about 425mm. (the 2:1 purchase on the sheets takes this out to the required 850mm)

This works really well and is pretty simple and reliable. Interestingly (and a bit annoyingly!) on this boat Ive had a dodgy rudder servo and the hitec sail winch for the mainsail gave me a few problems but the genoa system is the one thing that that hasn’t caused any dramas!

Hope this makes sense!

Troy

Yes, that helps. How about blocks and mast position.(the last questions in my first post)
Don

It soesnt matter too much where the closed loop part of the system is placed at all. Just so long as there is enough room to get full travel out of the system in exactly the same way as a conventional closed lood setup. It can be under the deck or on deck.

The block which the sheet passes thru to connect to the clew is positioned as per a full size boat. Adjusting this fore & aft controls the shape of the genoa again as per full size.

Troy

Thanks
Don

Which “Aussie II” are you guys talking about? Mine is the 19" L.O.A. model. No Genoa, just main and jib, like a 1M has. Is there a web page for it?
thx

Tomo
Its the one in this video
http://media.putfile.com/scene-6web71
Its Australia II the same size as en EC12.
Web page is still under construction.

Troy

I know of an AUS II ( not eleven-11) that is a 1meter hull, with the standard balanced rudder.

Aussie II from MRP photos: