Arm winch under skiff back deck

So can an arm winch fit under a skiff back deck, between the fin box and mast post? My other thought was to have an arch over instead of post? What is the Hitec arm winch of choice now? 7950 or 7955?

Hi Andrew
Yes, if I’m reading your question right. If you had asked a couple of weeks ago I could have posted pictures but the deck is on now and not much shows. The arm that I use is 3" from center to center, add half the width of the block and a little for clearance and the effective length it 3 1/2". Ahh, I changed my mind and I’ll post a picture. It doesn’t show as well as it would with the deck off but it’s better than my explanation. The sheets are not there because I’m painting. The winch is in the close-hauled position. The winch is positioned so the arm just clears the keel trunk. I’m using a Hitec hs-815 so with full travel on the Spectrum radio I get just shy of 180 degrees which keeps it clear of the sheeting post(which is not yet in the hole). My hull is 8" wide where the winch is which makes it pretty easy to figure. When the hull gets narrower things start to get tight. I’m using a 4" jar lid as a hatch. I don’t trust patches. I know I don’t explain things well so fire away with questions.
Don

Thanks Don,
I had not thought of right in the middle as your picture shows, but I will try it there. I have a widget hull, so I will check width. Did you make the block on the arm your self? I think I have seen a diagram of how you run your sheets, but cannot remember? Could you post or describe again. I am sure I will have more questions once i think this over!
thank you again

Andrew

Here you go. I’m kind of embarrassed to post such a crummy drawing but it may help.
Don

Here you go. I’m kind of embarrassed to post such a crummy picture but it may help.
Don

Don, great diagram.

When the sheets exit back of boat does it just come out a tube, similar to the exit tube for the rudder control?

Yes and I use shrink tube to neck it down so that the line just goes through. It doesn’t seem to leak. I use a large(1") shieve on the deck to reduce friction and I put the shink tube as close as I can to the shieve. I’ll post a picture in a day or so. I’m just finishing the paint and will take pictures when I’m doing the final assembly.
Don

thanks Don,

Good luck painting!

Sorry it took so long, here’s the pictures.
Don

Hey Don -

I recognize what looks to be a patio door track “roller” - but what did you use to cover the pulley ? Can’t quite tell from the photo.

Thanks, Dick

Hi Dick
I turned the sheave on my lath with a nice deep groove to help keep the sheet in place. I made the cover. I vacuum bagged a scrap of CF over a mold. I’m not that pleased with it-the edges are kind of crinkled. I think I will use a small jar lid next time.
Don

Looks great Don, I just tried turning a new wheel on my drill press, I found a old plastic cutting board that should work. First I cut a 1 1/4 piece using my hole saw, then I attached it to my drill press with a bolt and nut. Used a dovetail saw to cut in a grove then used sand paper to make smooth. I think it turned out real good.

Dick I have used a plastic roller for a screen door, and it works okay, but I thing a thinner grove might work better.

Don, would you be able to take a picture of your whole set up, I am a visual person so a picture would be great.

Andrew

Thanks for the info - I had forgotten you did some machine-shop work at home. Just looked like a replacement roller I saw at Home Depot. I saw it when looking for some small diameter nylon rollers.

I like the idea of a cover, but would want to make it removable in case of a sheet jumping out of groove.

On the original RG-65 built for my grandson, I used some Teflon HVAC tubing to do a thru-deck with 180 degree turn. It worked out OK, but since then I bought a set of those small brass/aluminum/copper tubing benders and have been using them to make my 1/8 diameter, thru-deck and directional changes.

On the current RG (my own - finally) I am using a GWS Drum winch and was looking at something for a turning block like you made. Seems lately a lot of the hobby shops have let their PeKaBe inventory drop and the single deck mounted turning blocks are hard to find.

Am thinking of using the drum on the winch much like an arm - one side of drum for jib, the other side for mainsheet since it is a single turn winch, I would have plenty of sheet travel. Picture a drum moving instead of an arm to better understand. If I use it that way, there is no need for turning block - I can run each side directly to the sheet posts and do a direct connect. With a full turn, 2 inch diameter drum, I will have a total of almost 6 inches of sheet travel if my math is correct.

Thanks again for info - sorry about the mini-thread hijack.

I tried making blocks using HD Poly for the sheave, maybe the same stuff cutting boards are made of. Is it kind of soft and bendyish? Anyway it didn’t seem to turn as freely as aluminum. There are a million or so different kinds of plastic out there so you might be alright. The stuff I used you could mark or dent a little with your thumbnail. If it’s hard like the door rollers you’ll be fine. I used brass tubing for the axle so I could feed the attachment through the hole. That way you’re not depending on the cheeks for strength. As for a picture of the whole thing it’s buried inside the boat now. You’ve seen everthing that would show but here’s a picture of the deck.
Don

Don,
That picture helps, i will make a mock up then use your picture to make sure all looks good thank you again.

Andrew

Does anyone have any experience with Hobbieco 2.4g

Does it have end point adjustment? You might be stuck with 140 degrees on your 815 if it doesn’t and that might not be enough travel. If a radio doesn’t have EPA I won’t even look at it now, it complicates so many things. For example if you want to try a little less rudder throw so you’re not over correcting so much you can spend a while messing with linkage or you can do a quick software change without taking your boat out of the water. It’s well worth the extra money(to me) and if you get it for Christmas it’s free!!!
Don