AMYA Model Yachting Publication

In early August, AMYA would like a few articles and photos for use in the Model Yachting publication that deals with the Open Class within which we fall.

I would greatly like to provide some current information, and also a bit of background for those members who many not be aware of our multihull efforts.

I would welcome your contributions, notes, and especially photos. You don’t have to write the article, just provide me with the detail. I will write with attribute/acknowledgements to you. While they (Yachting publication) would prefer high resolution photos, I can both accept hi-res photos here - or you can mail me your 35mm photos and I can scan and return your photos unharmed. Also you are welcome to send some lower resolution digital photos, as I believe I can “doctor” them up into a higher quality.

email them to me with your building/sailing/impressions of your boat, technical specs, winch, sail maker, weight, etc. and together we can again “kick-start” the multihull effort here in the US.

email to: Dick.Lemke(AT)co.dakota.mn.us

or mail to:

Dick Lemke
1460 W. 17th. Street
Hastings MN 55033

by the end or July or early part of August if you can. Thanks ahead of time for your contribution considerations.

Sail Fast

Dick

<u>EDIT: ADDED</u> - I would also welcome info from outside the U.S. as it would serve to help show the broader appeal for the boats if established in other countries - UK, Aussies, Kiwis, Europe, etc.

Dick Lemke
F-48 #US-06
MultiONE #US-06
Class 3 Landyacht #US-196
Minnesota, USA

hey dick do you still have the pics of my boat? i can burn them on a disk if you need, we are moving to hawaii tomorow
when i get there i can send it any ways email me and let me know what you want me to do

such is life!

there you go:

http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/josh.htm

-Wis (aka Laurent)

<font size=“1”>_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _</font id=“size1”>

Seawind
MicroMagic #JPN 01
<font color=“red”>-------------------------------------------
http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm
-------------------------------------------</font id=“red”>

Josh -

just sent you a PM. [:-bulb]

Wis - are those hi-res? Rich Matt has some pretty high standards to assure good quality reproductions for the magazine. Email the hi-res ones to me at work on the highspeed lines. They will kill my old, home dialup. Too bad yours didn’t materialize.

Dick

Dick Lemke
F-48 #US-06
MultiONE #US-06
Minnesota, USA

Dick,
The one posted on my web are the one I received, not altered, no photoshop at all…

Yes, too bad…

-Wis (aka Laurent)

<font size=“1”>_/ if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! _</font id=“size1”>

Seawind
MicroMagic #JPN 01
<font color=“red”>-------------------------------------------
http://www.geocities.jp/schocklm/index.htm
-------------------------------------------</font id=“red”>

Dick, how many dpi do the want the photos to be?

<hr noshade size=“1”><font size=“1”>Moderator
-Dan
Sherman Yachts
3R Forum</font id=“size1”>

As I recall - will need to check with Rich Matt - but I believe he wanted minimum of 300 dpi - more if possible. Most of mine have all been reduced to 72 - 150 for web viewing.

[i]<u>EDIT - ADDED:</u>
Dick,

Please send me a sample photo file as an email JPEG attachment. We are learning ways of making a low-res photo into something suitable for print. At last resort we can print out any photo at 300 dpi, scan the resulting ?postage stamp?, open it in PhotoShop, file it at an expanded pixel-count, print it out again bigger-sized and repeat the process. The result is a crummy photo, but at least it?s not all pixilated.

Model Yachting #138, which goes in the mail next week, has over ninety photos. Near as I could tell every one of them was taken with a digital camera. All came in on CD-R or as email attachments having a pixel count between one and three megapixels. The cover photo was taken at four megapixels and then filed to an expanded 24 megapixels. Nowadays, folks are thinking that they might just as well set the camera at a high pixel count so as to be able to have photos that can be printed out at least 4? x 6? ? Evidently, taping to the refrigerator door a hard copy photo of the grandkid is much more satisfying than taping a CD on the door.

You have contributed some fine writing for the magazine. It?s good to hear that you might submit more of your ?stuff?. Us fellow multi-hull aficionados need be heard.

Rich Matt,
MY Photo Editor
email: RichMatt@comcast.net[/i]

Dick Lemke
F-48 #US-06
MultiONE #US-06
Minnesota, USA

Most every digital camera sold the past few years have the ability to capture photos up to three megapixels.

Most everybody who buys a digital camera also opts for a storage card with at least a sixty-four megapixel storage capacity. This allows for taking the equivalent of two thirty-six exposure rolls of 35mm film between downloads at the one-megaxel setting.

Most everybody, knowing that with all this pixel-power on hand, will set the camera to take photos at the one-megapixel setting so as to be able to print out a good looking 4" x 6" photo that can be put into the family photo album. This one-megapixel camera setting provides the 300 dpi needed for a print that size. This one-megapixel setting represents most of the photos taken for inclusion in recent issues of Model Yachting. Then too, if you want a 5" x 7" print, the camera should be set to take pictures at the two-megapixel setting. If you want an 8" x 10" print, set it for three-megapixels.

If you want to use a one-megapixel photo file for use on a website, it needs to be reduced in file size. This can be done very easily in most any photo processing software by “resizing” it and then “saving” it. When doing the “Save as” use a diffent title for the photo, you will want to keep the original large-file photo rather than replace it. The typical website photo is saved at 72 dpi for whatever screen-size photo desired.

Note: Any photos anybody wants to send Dick Lemke for his planned article about multi-hulls need be sent in during the month of July. Model Yachting is staying on its “Get caught up” schedule. Send your photos to both Dick and to me. My email: Rich Matt@comcast.net

Rich Matt,
MY Photo Editor