Alternative materials?

I’m wondering if anyone is using any of the more modern, exotic materials in building their footys? I used carbon tubes for the mast and rigging, and am planning to retrofit the keels with carbon plate (after a basswood failure during a recent trip).

Travis
AMYA #13417
Victoria #599

Don’t forget to have fun!!!

I recently got an email from Niel Goodrich in NY who has built a beautiful Footy using carbon for the hull, spars, fin, rudder…

He does beautiful work, based on his experiences building 36/600’s. I assume he had the materials laying around for that reason.

I remember another carbon boat on the original Footy thread in the New Classes discussion. Try searching that for inspiration.

Personally, I think it’s probably overkill. Of course it can’t hurt. So go for it if you want, but these little boats seem plenty stiff to me with lightweight glass hulls and basswood foils. I don’t think they have nearly the amount of stress on them that larger boats do…big difference between a 6 inch fin with 6 ounce bulb and an 18 inch fin with a 4 pound bulb.

Bill

Travis, here’s a pic of Niel’s boat.

How did the basswood fail on yours? Closing the car door on it doesn’t count as a failure on the part of the materials! [:D]

Download Attachment: Profile.jpg
28.45KB

Thanks Bill.

Niel had sent me an email discussing this also. That’s a sharp boat, I wonder how it sails.

Travis
AMYA #13417
Victoria #599

Don’t forget to have fun!!!

I saw a mention of ‘2mm corrugated plastic board’ on a UK Footy website. Can you get that stuff in the U.S.? I have some 4mm corrugated plastic board for signs. I’m headed to the DIY store tomorrow to buy a (for sale sign) or whatever stuff I can find there. Like thick (flexible) plastic or foam board, etc. Maybe the craft store too (Pat Catan’s).

thx

Balsa from the scrap box is my chosen material.:nuts:
Not even glassed. Clear dope on the inside. Paint from a spray can on the outside. Works for me.:skull:

How about that polystyrene foam that is made into the burger boxes? Can you get that in sheets? It’s light, waterproof and boyant, kinda stiff and yet bends (some), you can cut it with scissors, tape it, glue and wood to it. You’d probably need to glass it before painting tho.

thx

I was realizing the other day that one of my clients has a model airplane kit making business. He has a large vacumn forming machine. I think that after I try my current ones, that I will try that route. Might have to depend on you guys for better knowledge of hull design, tho.
Bob

I am actually designing a hull for vac forming right now…

There’s a guy near me that used to vacuum-form r/c boats (danvomodels) but he quit. I think he still has the stuff, but he makes his plugs from a resin block. I thought you could just fill a finished hull with resin & form from that…

BTW, where do you find 2mm corrugated plastic? A search leads me to “Print sleeves” which you might find att he office supply. sign store maybe?

thx