Almost a Class in AMYA!!

Exciting news re USA progress toward becoming a recognized class in AMYA!! Bill Young just informed me that he now has 19 registered Footy owners. Only one more and we get class recognition!

So if you know a Footy owner in the USA who is not an AMYA member, convince him/her to join. If you know a US Footy owner who IS an AMYA member but hasn’t registered that Footy, loan him/her 7 bucks and get that boat registered with Bill Young.

We are so close…:spin:

Bill H

Hi Bil H., I am number 19 so I thought I would check in and say hi. Yesterday I registered my ‘Kittiwake’.

With a little more work I am expecting to offer this new Footy as a kit, hopefully having more boats and parts available to buy will speed the growth of this great little class. I am trying to do my part in spreading the word at www.scalesailing.com come and take a look if you have a minute.

Thanks for your efforts Bill,

Graham

Just to let everybody know, we are there. I am #20 with sail number 12. Yes, I was draggin’ my foot on registering:crazy:
Bob

Truth is Bob you were hanging back to get that illustrious #20 :hammer:
I didn’t get a sail number yet… how did you manage that so fast Bob?

Argh… footy jokes, what a heel!

Graham

Thanks, Bob…it looks like you’ve done it for us. I have some inside intelligence that Bob got his sail number so fast by calling Bill Young on the phone to register. Bill Young and I are going to verify our lists to make sure it’s official, but it looks like we have made it. I’d like to see a couple more real soon (anybody dragging their Footy out there?) just to make sure.

Thanks to all of you who made this possible. I’m gratified by how quickly it happened, compared to some other start-up classes I’ve seen. The hard work starts now, though, and I’ll need all of you to help! The main thing is for each of you to be ambassadors for the class. Please take your Footy with you wherever you sail. Put it in the water at break time at your regattas and give someone else the transmitter. Demonstrate your Footy in your friends swimming pool…you get the idea. The more people who see these irresistable little boats, the more will build them, and the more fun for all of us.

I’m also desperately needing people to write articles about Footys…building, sailing, why Footys are cool, etc. Your article could end up in the AMYA magazine. Rough stuff is fine…we can edit for you.

I’d also like to collect a bunch of plans that I could make available to prospective Footy builders, so if you designed one that sails well, your contribution would be appreciated.

I’m also looking for regattta ideas…racing, yes, but fun stuff, too. The course concept initiated by Ian is one we will use to overcome geography, but other ideas are welcome.

Graham, your boats look great. The foam-core thing is very interesting. If it wouldn’t give away trade secrets, maybe you could show us how you get from a plan to a foam cut-out. I wish you all the best in your kit endeavors. Nice website, too…very nice photos and overall high-quality appearance.

BTW, it might have been naughty of me, but I had asked Bill Young to reserve sail number 20 for me. Hope you all don’t mind.

And I hope this Footy joke thing doesn’t get out of hand…

Bill H

Bill,
You are more than welcome! Mind? Wellllllllllllll, OK…I don’t:spin:
Just kidding I really don’t mind!
Don’t worry I take my Footy with me every day I can. Just the other day; a guy was watching me sail at the golf course pond and he said that he was taking sailing lessons, he had the transmitter in his hands in a New York minute.:sly: Today, I head to the Queen Mary in Long Beach for a four day train show where I set up my live steam g scale track, but Footy goes with me. After all I will be on a dock! Who knows maybe I can sail around the QM. Those of you in the LA area, come on down and visit! I will be out in the parking lot and there will be a lot of live steam trains running and bring your Footy too.
Ok, no more Footy puns:bag:
Bob

Thankyou for the comments Bill H., I have been making electric model aircraft kits since 1997 and cut many hundreds of foam wings so it was second nature to me to see the potential of this construction method I am using. I will be happy to explain the basics although it does take a certain amount of equipment to cut the cores. Which is why I will sell basic pre-cut cores for the scratch buildier to use.

You can count on my support Bill…

Graham

I’ve send my registration on Saturday, so I guess I’m number 21… I was actually holding up to be #20

Anyway, the Footy is a Razor, plans and design from Bill H (tahnk you).

Gio

Congrats all round on reaching the magic number of 20 boats.
I am sure the Footy class will grow and prosper within the AMYA.
But why can’t I find any info on the class on the AMYA website? :frowning:
there is info on other new or proposed classes.
Here in NZ I have 7 registered boats with at least that again to come in from a new fleet up north.I am confident that at some time a reggatta will be held for these boats here in NZ.
Brett

From the multihull point of view - even though we are not a recognized class, we are “part” of the Open Class and thus are allowed to provide some information for potential members/owners. “I” as organizer of the F-48 group had to write and submit the info that is provided by AMYA - there are no “secret” - behind the scenes - people doing this. If Bill H. is taking on the volunteer role of FOOTY class secretary until such time as the class is formal and elections held, it will really be up to Bill H. to write and submit info to the Open Class Secretary. He, in turn, submits to the webmaster (Phil Sarelis - sp?) who posts. Still ahead and yet to do are class rules; constitution and bylaws; a decision whether to be an AMYA class or a “Class Owners Association” (COA), and of course formal election of any officers. Be sure to read the AMYA info on classes versus COA’s - and then email Bill Mullica of the ODOM class to find out “why” they went with the ODOM route.

I am almost positive that Bill H. would be happy to receive articles for inclusion in the AMYA quarterly publication too. Hard for one person to keep up on all the different people and boats out there. He would appreciate any help in the form of articles, etc.

Once formally recognized, the class secretary is also expected to write an information article on the class for each quarterly publication - and also for AMYA website. Lot’s of work to do - but it sounds like you FOOTY guys are off to a good start. Congratulations to Bill H. and the builder/owners for a great start to the class.

The latest issue of AMYA Model Yachting is close to press (too late to add anything now) so you have about a month and a half to get any articles together for next publication. I am sure that AMYA directors - and Bill Young (Open Class Secretary) will have a blurb in Issue 145 about the class formally having the numbers needed.

I would like to interject that Issue 144 - soon to be printed - gets the publication back on track. This issue will feature a lot of older articles of great interest and if you have considered becoming a member of AMYA ($25) this would be a great time to do it - so you can get your copy of this magazine. It also will include the AMYA rules and by-laws. Join today!

Well Done Bill and all the FOOTY members !

Dick Lemke

EDIT: Added link. For those looking for a kit FOOTY but who may not be aware of this forum - here is a planned kit that will run $50 and should be available soon. Click here -> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529768

Thanks, Dick…you saved me the trouble of a reply and said it all better than I could.

And yes, I sure need articles…they don’t have to be fancy, I can edit them. Things I’d like to have include: An article from an experienced sailor on why he bothered to build a Footy when he already had an IOM, US1m, M, or whatever… an article on building a Footy… an article on building and setting up the Ian-style race course… an article on how it felt to race the course against the clock and perhaps suggested racing tactics… an article on the sailing characteristics of Footys and suggested tuning tips… one on the evolution of Footys… or anything else you’d like to do! Please email any submissions to me at billhagerup@hotmail.com. I want to collect as much material as possible, as soon as possible. Remember, at some point we will be the featured class in an entire issue of the mag!!

I’m obviously pleased that we reached our goal of recognition by AMYA, but as Dick points out…and I’ve said elsewhere…that’s just the start of the hard work. So please be patient. Bill Young is transferring the records over to me, but it will take him a few weeks because of other commitments, and then I’ll have to get up to speed on all the Class Sec stuff, too. But don’t worry…we will become a presence on the site and in the mag. We have some AMYA “bigshots” in our original 20 skippers, and I know they will help, too.

Bill H

Thanks, Dick…you saved me the trouble of a reply and said it all better than I could.

And yes, I sure need articles…they don’t have to be fancy, I can edit them. Things I’d like to have include: An article from an experienced sailor on why he bothered to build a Footy when he already had an IOM, US1m, M, or whatever… an article on building a Footy… an article on building and setting up the Ian-style race course… an article on how it felt to race the course against the clock and perhaps suggested racing tactics… an article on the sailing characteristics of Footys and suggested tuning tips… or anything else you’d like to do! Please email any submissions to me at billhagerup@hotmail.com.

I’m obviously pleased that we reached our goal of recognition by AMYA, but as Dick points out…and I’ve said elsewhere…that’s just the start of the hard work. So please be patient. Bill Young is transferring the records over to me, but it will take him a few weeks because of other commitments, and then I’ll have to get up to speed on all the Class Sec stuff, too. But don’t worry…we will become a presence on the site and in the mag. We have some AMYA “bigshots” in our original 20 skippers, and I know they will help, too.

Bill H

Hello Bil… I will be happy to furnish an article based on my foam core method of building. Do the AMYA have word count suggestions or other guidelines do you know?

Graham

That would be great, Graham. Please include pics of the process, too. No word-count worries. Also let me know if you’d be interested in running an ad for your new business in the issue that runs the article. A business-card size ad is $40 per issue.

Let’s continue our discussion via email…no need to bore everybody else with details.

Thanks a ton!!

Bill H

Just ordered my Hang-Ten Footy! Mebee we can float a few Footy’s at Raceweek in San Diego this August and generate some more interest and awareness.

I have just sent in my registration and will be number ?? sometime in the near future. I know that paperwork is changing hands at the moment. Looking forward to watching and seeing this class grow.

Sorry Bill I just saw this (didnt get an email notification for some reason), yes please email me direct to discuss further. info(at)scalesailing(dot)com

Graham