AC100 Hybrid

Hi, Attached photos of first stage of my pet project. It is a Thunder Tiger Voyager II hull with AC100 Keel, Rudder and bulb. I
also plan to use AC100 spars. Awaiting the 3 lb. 14 oz. bulb and Aluminum Grooved mast. Will post photos as progress is made.
Regards,
Norman2

Hi, Some progress made. Attached 3 lbs. 14 oz. bulb. Primered and painted silver as the graphics will be the Prada Italian boat.
As soon as it dries will do the graphics, then mast,spars and rigging. Will post more photos as progress is made. Regards
Norman2

Hi, Made some more progress today, Installed Sails, Mast, and Booms. Now waiting for the graphics which should be ready
Friday and will test her some time next week if weather permits. I think the mast may not be stiff enough but will know for
sure next week. I definitely do not want to spend more time on her. Is a bendy mast OK? Regards
Norman2
PS Completed boat weighs 5 lbs 13 oz. It is 3 oz over Claudio’s target but I am happy with that.

Hi, Some more photos down in the basement. Regards
Norman

Hi Norman,
it look in good progress, except some doubts about the sail shapes, better wait once in the water !
One good idea, seen very rarely, is the red band supporting the bulb and avoiding hull deformations.
Thanks for sharing your images.
Cheers
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio, Thanks for your kind comments. I will know about the sails next week when I sail her. Will post some photos. Regards
Norman2

Hi Norman,

Isn’t this more a hybrid Voyager II than a hybrid AC 100 ? …waiting with interest to see how she sails too, got my fingers crossed for ya !

btw: Temperatures got to where can freeze the nuts off a tractor here when humiity jumped over 70% with early winter coming on, which means laying up our AC 100 project hull is delayed until humity does not play with my epoxies :rolleyes: (hmm gotta be careful with words here) but all the latex is ready to go (keep your minds above the belts guys ok ) anyway the offer of that hull is there as a back up…in the following months

Cheers Alan

Hi K1 , thanks for the comments. You are right so I will call it a TT Voyager II Hybrid. the name is not important. Just wanted to let you know that my approach to
Sailing R/C boats is much simpler than yours. I build more from the looks I like than with my brain. I am an engineer so I know that techniques that work in a real
AC boat will not work when scaling down to a 39" boat. I build a boat so it can sail efficiently in all conditions. When I sail it and I like the performance I leave it alone
and spend a lot of time in practice runs and tuning it. If it doesn’t work then back to the drawing board. I hope you finish your AC100 soon as I am sure with you expertise
it will turn out super. I imagine Matthias spends a lot of time sailing and tuning his boat. I bet he knows what his advantages are and that is why he wins. If you ever sail again
with him, let him sail your boat and you sail his. I am sure he will come out ahead. I will let you know how mine sails and will post photos. Keep up the good work. Maybe I
will again take you up on the AC100 hull offer. Kind regards
Norman2

Hi Norman, Can’t argue with that “one mans poison is another mans passion” as they say …

Been there got that tee-shirt when it comes to going back to the drawing board, believe another engineer … A Ferrari is a lot more exciting to drive than a Hyundi:wink: but I know you won’t believe me until you have one in your hands.

I had the opportunity to sail RSA 09 (Last year’s Italian Cup winner) in Italy for 1 race and finished 4th having only 10 mins with the boat RC in my hands, I knew instantly then my very good handling boat was now where near to the same standard of the highly tuned Italian boats, but I learnt volumes (never stop learning) and hopefully my new120 hulls to be at a better standard for next years event, then I can really enjoy the most fun part … racing against sailing & tuning skills only.

Reckon the AC 100 project will be in hibernation until Feb/March depending on when the winter thaw-out begins here.

In the mean time looking for to seeing that your Hybrid lives up to your expectations tomorrow … fingers crossed for you mate.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan, Yes you are right because I drive a BMW (can’t afford a Ferrari just yet). But when I want excitement this is what I sail. LOL Regards
Norman
PS Sorry for the off topic

Hi, Finally sailed her today although there were light winds. The but performs super. It exceeds all my expectations in speed
both reaching and down wind. I am really surprised at her speed. I will sail her again when the winds come up. I am a very
happy man. Regards
Norman
PS. Could not get more photos as battery in camera went kaput. For K1, I never thought this would happen but
as you always point out “You can only create what you can imagine”. Thanks to Claudio for his plans.

Hi, Some photos of the boat with hatch on.

Look’s great Norman, am curious to see some more pictures of it sailing…

Brian

Hi Brian, Was able to take some more photos but need to get a buddy to help me as it is very hard to sail and take photos
at the same time. Need to install a jib topping lift which I had forgotten to do. Will take better photos next time. Regards
Norman

Very happy Norman to read all about, your boat is the second to get to the water after mine. Congratulations ! Just a dreaming place as Michel showed months ago about the Swiss lake.
Cheers
ClaudioD

While you are adding a jib topping lift, consider installing a main sheeting post. It will give you much better control over the main at close hauled.

John

Hi John, Thanks for the advice. At the risk of being stupid, can you post a photo or drawing of how to do the main
sheeting post? Would really appreciate it. Thanks and regards
Norman

Hi Norman,

Here is a link to several sheeting posts. I make my own out of two sections of arrow shaft that slide inside each other. A pin and some holes allow vertical adjustment. A loop glued into the top guides the line.

https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com/categories/FITTINGS%2d-HULL{47}DECK{47}-MAST{47}BOOM{47}RIGGING/Hull-%26-Deck-Fittings/Mainsheet-posts/

John

Hi John, Thanks for you illustrations. I will make one like yours. Again Thanks
Norman

Hi, Thanks Claudio. If it weren’t for your plans and K1’s help I would still be sailing a very bad boat. Now I will enjoy. Thanks
Norman