AC 120 build in Poland

Hello everyone,

At last I have started to build my AC 120 boat. Too bad it is late and I didn’t get a chance to go to any regatta’s but hopefully the boat will be ready for next year :slight_smile:
The boat I put on my workshop is ETNZ - 92. I am using Claudio D’s plans that are free to download, so I hope he doesn’t mind :slight_smile:
Now that I put the shadows on the construction board, it looks like the top edges of the last three shadows do not make the smooth line. The line is “broken”. The middle shadow is about 2 mm lower. Is it the mistake, or is the way it supposed to be?
with the help of the knowledge that is to be found on this forum and the advice of more experience colleagues I hope for succesful project.
regards,
Lukasz

Maybe the gunwale line is part of the rear “step” as shown in this photo from another forum thread/post?

Just guessing !

Hi Lukasz,

The shadow lines should follow the hull plan line (nice & smooth) here is the building board set-up for that ETNZ plan. Wishing you a good build, it is a great boat !! :smiley:

Cheers Alan

Hi Lukasz,
Sorry about that, let me check the shadows drawings again. I will come back soon
Cheers
ClaudioD

Hello,

Thank you for the advice Alan and Dick, and Claudio there is nothing to be sorry about. Not everyone can make detailed plans like yours and the small mistake like this can happen to everyone. And first of all I suspect myself of misreading the drawings anyway. The alterations are underway and I am preparing for filling the plug with the foam (I do not like the idea of planking). Claudio let me know please once you check that shadow #11, I would like to double check I am going the right way.

Cheers,
Lukasz

Lukasz
I did not find the error, nevertheless I cross check the basic frames with lateral and top views and retraced each single shadows.
Please see attachment .zip file with PDF at scale 1:1
It can be printed directly on A4 format . Check PDF printing scale factor for 100%
Hope is OK now !
Cheers
ClaudioD

lateral and top views:

Hi Lukazs,
watching closely the fist picture on the first post, I see that you have not removed the 3mm contour that is replaced by the wooden stripes.
Cheers
ClaudioD
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/attachment.php?attachmentid=13803&d=1378321015

Hi Claudio,

I assumed that this contour is to be replaced in order to install 3 mm balsa planking. Isn’t it? Since I plan to do foam and tissue plug I simply left it be. Correct me if I am wrong.
About the stern issue, it turned out that I misread the drawings. Simply the gap between the shadow 11 and the stern shadow is 14 mm too big.

Thanks for the help,
Lukasz K

Hi Lukasz,
Your assumption is correct.
The outer contour of 3mm represent the ‘final’ dimension of the hull in case you wish to use wood stripes of 3mm thick.
In this case the contour shall be cut away.
Instead if you intend to insert blocs of foam, the outer dimension remain valid.
Cheers
CD

Hello friends,

I hope everyone is well in this New Year :)! past few months I have been lazy and didn’t do nothing about my boat :slight_smile:

But lately I have finally prepared the plug for lamination :slight_smile:

I applied a polyurethane floor laquer over the automotive putty, and 6 layer wax barrier, so I am hoping for smooth separation. wish me luck.

best wishes to all
Lukasz

Hi Lukasz,
very often polyurethane paint are not compatible with waxes. You may risk sticking problems !
Better check before on sample or read Wax Manufacturer data.
Cheers
Claudio

Thank you Claudio for the concern.
Fortunatelly I did check this configuration on the sample, but since I do not have much experience, the separation concerns always cause me anxiety:)

regards,
Lukasz

hello,

and the lamination is done. I used two layers of 80g and a layer of 150g. now is the time to prepare the deck

regards,
Lukasz

hello,

in the meantime I have managed to pull the hull out of the plug :slight_smile: It went rather easy so I am very happy about it. Untill today I have always had major problems at this stage of construction. I did make some mistakes along lamination process so I think another hull will be necessary. Also, I think it is little overweight. I got 320 g. What do you think??

cheers,
Lukasz

Hello friends,

My thread died past couple of months because I had to relocate with my living. I moved to Southampton UK, and since I haven’t managed to set up a proper workshop, for time being I decided to finish the boat as a 3D model. Here are few pictures of where I am going. I somebody is familiar with SketchUp please let me know of mistakes I could be making

Cheers
Lukasz

Welcome back.
Your last lamination is rather heavy compared to the material you employed.
I suppose that you mix up pigments to get it red colored. Probably to much resin too.
In principle the lamination is compose of 50¨% tissue and 50% resin.
Tissue panels are cut around the mould with some 3-5cm margin. The tissue are the weighted on a balance. Record the weight.
Prepare same amount of resin including hardener.
This work can be made by steps, one tissue layer with 50% amount of resin, second tissue layer with his amount of 50% resin, and so long. This is what is called “wet on wet” lamination.

Expected final weight : 0.8g/dm² + 1.5g/dm² x 2 because of resin x hull surface i.e. 38dm²* = 4.6g x 38dm² = 174.8g total hull expected Hull weight

It is tollerated with +5-6 %.

• I do not remember the exact hull surface

Cheers
Claudio

Cheers Claudio,

Thanx for the advice, the hull I will be redoing once set up a new workshop, and I will manage to achieve the numbers you providing :slight_smile:

Lukasz