A question about the class rules

Hello.
just a quick question about the class rules.

Rule C.1 say: “Radio control is restricted to the use of no more than 2 channels.”

But what about using 2 servos on the same channel ? An example can be to control each sail with a different servo.

Thanks

bye
Gianluca

Provided that both servos are contolled by one channel, that would be legal. There is no restriction on the number of servos. I’d be interested in why you might want to do that, though…both servos would react the same to the single channel control signal, and the second servo would add weight.

Bill

I have never had two servos that reacted exactly the same on a single channel. the centre point was always a little different on each.

Don’t forget the extra weight and complexity of the Y-splitter to operate the two servos.

He never said that they would act the same, there are ways of making them acting differently:
Programmable servos, a mirco controller in line.
It’s an interesting line of thought, wonder where it’s going.

AFAIK, the usual purpose for having two servos on a channel is to have them operate with the same amount of throw- either in the same direction ( like elevators or flaps,) or opposite directions (for ailerons.) I understand you can have extra circuitry to independently adjust the throw, but that’s beyond the scope of the Footy, and more appropriate to a large airplane or ship.

Some more information for what the dual servos will do would help. With good geometry or the correct servo, only one is needed for both sails on a Footy. All 6 of my Footies will have a sngle servo for sail control as does my 1m.

Hello to all.

Just back from holidays, sorry for the delay.

A simple thing to do with two servo on one channel is to control two sails independently. This give minor workload for each servo, with the bonus that you have one arm for each servo so you can have a better setup-up for the sails.
I don’t see the additional weight (30 gr ?) a big problem, as long the two servos add a significant advantage in the sail control and overall boat performance, which of course is to be proven.

bye
Gianluca