A possible 65M class multihull?

hi nick,
looks good mate.
how long will the boat be please ??
will it be made out of fibreglass or carbon??
cheers
glen

Offensive post removed by originator.

Hi Glen,
Going by the title of the thread, 65cm long:p, width to be played with, nothing so advanced in construction, balsa covered with tissue and dope then painted I guess. I may end up changing the floats as they are quite wide so no point in spending too much. I would think 1/64 ply would work as well. The whole construction is only 140 grams so far (no covering yet) and I could loose some weight in a couple of places.

Ian,
Ill take that on board, My main beam will be at the center of the boat so another near the stern perhaps? how much twist could a boat this small generate?

I’m a noob at multi construction so the advice is appreciated.

If the multi doesn’t work Ive got an ultra narrow RG65 to play with:p

Regards
Nick

Nick, you will be surprised by the amount of twist that is generated.
Remember that your mast will be around one metre tall and the float length will be 65 cm and there will be times when the only thing in the water will be the bow section of the leeward float. So the whole weight of pressure of the sail will be on your leeward float joint. Hmmmmm. :devil3:

Your idea of a rear crossbeam sounds the go. :graduate:
Looking good mate, keep up the good work. :zbeer:

Havnt been able to do any work on her, but I tried to get some tissue and dope to seal the balsa, it has proved a little difficult:mad: something about dangerous goods:confused: have to wait until I get back to the big smoke;) and home
Nick

yeah really!!!
offence is taken,what do you think i am…
what ever you reackon.
just cause im new and sail dumb doesnt mean you have to be a … about it ok.
if you treat all newbies like a fool,this site wont have any growth,as newbies will leave and never return,so think about it…
good bye
:devil3:

Hi Glen,

No sides taken but your reply was uncalled for.
Back to boat building:zbeer:

Nick

hey,
so called dude you say,cant you see the guy is and was being sarcastic towards me.
no,i wont take a chill pill ok…thank you
any clues do you think,i mean the a stupid comment.
what ever,side with him.

Hey Glen, I must apologize if I have offended you.
That was not my intention and I can see now that I was perhaps being silly.
If you will forgive me that would be good.
I have removed the post which has caused the ill feeling.
Sorry again. :zbeer:

[moderator’s response]

Whoa Guys -

As a moderator, I did modify Glen’s response to remove/clean up language. Ian removed his own post, so I also removed the quote from Glen’s response - since it is Ian’s clear intention to apologize.

Not trying to be heavy handed here, but will work to keep this stuff from becoming too personal - or blowing up the site. If I have over reacted, my apologies to both of you (and administrator Chad) as well.

Thanks for your understandings.

yeah,well im finsihed with this site.
had enough crap.
delete my account ok…
good bye.:mad:

I can’t delete accounts.

But sincerely hope you find what itis you are looking for. Best wishes.

Dick

Hey guy’s,
I was on spring break, had my 4 yr old, working on his footy, so didn’t get time to check up on this.
I must say, that having seen and been flamed before, it is often times an over reaction on both parties. I didn’t see the “offensive” post, it was removed before I checked in on this thread. But, consider that it is very easy to accidentaly insult someone on the web, as there is no face to face contact. I, for one, would be very glad if both parties apologized, and we got on with the purpose of these threads, the building of a new class. I see that one apology was administered, so can we just not cry over spilt milk? I personally welcome all who have an interest in multihulls to join in, and have no wishes for anyone interested in model sailing to become alienated from this site. Bad things happen, lets move on please.
Back to topic, I suggest that we start our build threads, rather than clutter up this thread. If we want to hash out ideas, post here, If your showing progress on your multi, start your own thread. I suppose that we are going to need a class secretary to handle the initial numbers, I’ll volunteer for that. The criteria that I expect for a sail number is a photo or video of the vessel in operation, and a photo showing compliance with the rule.
The race for number 001 is on. Lets see who gets it. Everyone is invited, just be warned that I can build fast!

Before issuing the first number, can we agree that each “owner” only gets one number to use on his boat - or boats? Will keep down a mass of numbers, and each rig could be used on any of many platforms being built. It is working well for the RG-65 Class - as regardless of hull paint job, everyone knows USA #001 is Earl Bobbert - since the sail number is his, and photos of “any” of his boats will always have the same number, making identification really easy.

Also - may want to consider a “special request” sail numbering - as some may want to use their RG-65 rigs for first effort.

Only suggestions - you guys decide.

Oh ya - (tongue-in-cheek) it isn’t how fast you build -it’s how fast you sail! :wink: :smiley:

I would be in favor of each boat getting a number. That way, an owner of multiple boats could have someone else sailing one in a possible regatta. I’m fine with the special request thing, works for me.
I do almost everything fast. Build, sail, drive, and snappy comebacks. (if I could only think of one!)

I built mine before I found this thread.

There is already a class defined here:
http://65m.rcsails.com/

The numbers are assigned to the owner, just like the RG-65. The new class is called 65-M. The only rule is that the boat be less than 65 cm. It is tacitly understood that the boat will have more than one hull.
I think we should follow this standard.

I built mine from there before I saw this thread.

Mine, # 7, is the highest number registered so far:
http://www.rcsails.com/65m/boats/

I’ve had her out once so far and it was VERY gusty. She went turtle twice, which I don’t think is that bad considering the terrible conditions. The winds were 0 at one moment and instantly 15 or so.

@ Usagi
Very well done!

Please show us more sailing pics!:cool:

Although the only free plans available for this class (as far as I know) have been designed by me -
and Phanchita from Thailand - www.rcsails.com - is the only producer of them so far; -
the original inventor of this smallest multihull boat class is Peter Gernert (nickname WIESEL) from Germany!

He has designed and built the first workable trimaran at this size.
I just picked up his idea and published two different plans to that basic rules.

As the idea for this class is to create a new and cheap starting point for (young) modelbuilders to get into rc-multihull-sailing, these plans should be FREE for all times.

They can be downloaded for free from Phanchitas site www.rcsails.com or are sent on request by myself.
ernst.zemann@gmx.net

Sorry if I didn’t give all the proper credits. I appreciate you updating this.

Hi Usagi,
please don´t worry too much about proper credits or not from your side.

I personally just wouldn´t like the impression as if I had “stolen” the idea for a 65cm multihull-class from
Peter Gernert and then not even mention him as the
original inventor.

I believe I owe my respect to him as a great modelbuilder and by telling his name here I simply demonstrate this respect.

I do like multihulls - that´s the plain truth - the big ones and the rc-models.
That´s all.
The main aspect is still FUN.

So my questions to you can only be this: “Are you having fun with it?”
And:“Do you like, what you got?”

Hi all,
I have uploaded some of the video clips I got to the 65MClass Channel, have a look at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/65MClass?feature=mhum

//youtu.be/nLOf2gaqkiQ

Ooops!

Cheers
Siri