35th America's Cup Gossip

Since Bermuda is a British territory, Mr. Ainsley must have something up his sleeve? Maybe it’s a bit of a prediction o the outcome?

So we will have a Bermudas Cup?

So far Bermuda is only hosting an AC45 event.

It looks like it’s been decided that Bermuda is the venue for the next AC!

I saw a YouTube video of a Oracle foiling AC45 the other day. You had to look at the transomes to realize that they were AC45s, otherwise it looked a lot like the AC72s.

BTW-

Iain Murray was selected to be the 235th AC Regatta Director, again. He hasn’t said what his goals are specifically, but he wants to “fine tune” how things went at the last AC regatta, and make it more attractive to non-sailing spectators.

IMO, the crowds of people you will see in Bermuda will be significantly less, because Bermuda is not on the North American mainland, with a major city and airport nearby, so there just won’t be as many people available to go to the regatta, as there were in San Francisco. It will be like the off-shore regattas of the 1980s and 1990s, where only the well-to-do could see the action, unless you were watching TV (or use a simulator.)

I could see a bunch of a cruise ships lining up to do do AC cruises essentially becoming dockside hotels…

I’d love to go to bermuda, but as you said. not cheap.

news flash…

35 AC to vote on on whether or to to use the small 45’ers for the big event in an effort to cut costs and potentially get more interest. is this the nail in the coffin? has the AC jumped he shark…

I think its a good move as it may generate more teams… and we all know that more boats = more fun…

http://www.americascup.com/en/news/155_Significant-cost-saving-measures-planned-for-2017-Americas-Cup.html

I would like to see boats bigger than the AC45s for the America’s Cup. Using the 45s would be like sailing the AC with dinghies. :frowning:

many other classes of cats are are in the high 30’ range… and hitting pretty good speeds…

I agree that theboats are small…

but if its so expense that no one wants to play… then whats the point

If the newest boats are too expensive, then just just use less expensive boats, like the old monohulls, or re-use “last year’s boat” (but with some improvements.)

going back to mono hulls I don’t think will ever happen. the toothpaste is out of the tube and its not going back in…Speed sells

Yes you could use last years boats with mods. but you’d get some schmo who wants to go deep pockets on it, and buys the new tech, and builds a new boat which instantly obsoletes the older boats…Not saying th eold boats are slow, but thers a reason oracle won… woudl you buy artemis or NZL, or prada… only to go up against oracle…

I would liken it to the current Marblehead issues - old boats aren’t fast enough to keep up with the new boats, and not many new boats being purchased due to lack of racing … As for the AC, I really wouldn’t want to go back to Dennis Conner vs. Michael Fay again. Once was enough.

I got the impression that AC racing has lost interest as the F1.
If sponsors will search for more profitable sources, the end of the story is not far !!
TV retransmission is one of the main sources…last F1 GP was very boring and a lot of newpapers reported as such !!!
ClaudioD

there was talk about the new AC boats to be 65 foot long but god know when they’ll make up their mind. Frank Cammas requested a rule change on the boat but ETNZ and LR rejected it as too late. I found that the qualification in AC45 of the last cup were pretty exciting -would have been better if OR didn’t cheat- whereas the aC72 though pretty spectacular to watch didn’t offer the racing the AC45 did. Part of the reason was the lack of teams who could put together the budget for such boats.

The AC needs to get back to having real LVC cup whith 10-15 teams before racing the defender in the AC. That’s my view so their choice of boat will influence this greatly.

If you receive the Cup Experience newsletter, you had already gotten the announcement for the
America’s Cup Webcast Briefing: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 from 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM Eastern Time

Or go here to sign up

BTW- Oracle is already foiling upwind in the AC45T (45T??) and making foiling tacks and gybes.

According to Italian press of today, Luna Rossa has decided to withdrawn from America Cup competition due to recent unaccepatable changes off Rules.
Day after April 1st !
ClaudioD

Luna rossa has the deep pockets to afford the bigger boat… So the less challengers there are the better their chances.

I think new Zealand was also talking about withdrawing…or at the very least one of he votes against the smaller boat.

So - little did we know back in 2000 - 2002 that our Formula48 class rules would wind up being (basically) a 1 inch = 1 foot scale rule for the new 48 foot AC Cup boats. PLUS - our rules have allowed moveable ballast, wing masts, wing sails, foils, etc. - everything except “kite” sails. So suddenly the Formula 48 and maybe the Mini40 rules become a reasonable way to justify a multihull that large - if you wanted to. !!!

Problem for NZ is that the qualification regatta in Auckland was canceled too (to save money) in the same vote too, and that event was necessary for the team to secure founding from the government (NZ), without that the team does not have sufficient funds to stay alive let alone to build a boat … they may not withdraw but they won’t be able to compete anyway …

That’s not what I’d call friendly competition, huh?