35th America's Cup Gossip

Not read the protocol have we ? Snippets taken straight from the document:

AGREEMENT BETWEEN
(i) The Golden Gate Yacht Club (= Defender)
(ii) Hamilton Island Yacht Club (= Challenger of Record) At this point this is the only challenger :rolleyes:

DEFINITIONS
Competitor means the Defender or a Challenger, as the context requires

RULES
19.3. Nationality rules: In an effort to better maintain the provision in the Deed of Gift for “Friendly competition between foreign countries”, the Regatta Director shall enforce the following nationality rules which Competitors shall comply with:
© for all racing in the America’s Cup Qualifiers, the America’s Cup Challenger Playoffs and the Match, in which AC62 Yachts are to be sailed in each case, at least two (2) of the crew sailing each AC62 Yacht in each race shall be nationals of the country of the yacht club of the Competitor that the AC62 Yacht represents.

PART C COMPETITION STRUCTURE

1. AMERICA’S CUP WORLD SERIES
    25.5. AC45 Yachts to be raced: Competitors shall race in the America’s Cup World Series events in yachts that comply with the AC45 Class Rule. Each Competitor may enter a second yacht in any America’s Cup World Series event.

2. AMERICA’S CUP QUALIFIERS
    27.1. Overview: All Competitors (Competitor means the Defender or a Challenges) shall participate and shall be scored in the America’s Cup Qualifiers, which shall comprise a seeded Double Round Robin format including the following agreed principles:
    (d) Competitors shall race in yachts that comply with the AC62 Class Rule

3. AMERICA’S CUP CHALLENGER PLAYOFFS
    28.1. Overview: The America’s Cup Challenger Playoffs shall comprise a Semi Finals stage and a Final stage,
    28.2. Semi-Finals stage: Only the top four (4) placed Challengers in the America’s Cup Qualifiers shall qualify to compete in the America’s Cup Challenger Playoffs.
    28.3. Final stage: The winner of each Semi-Final shall compete against each other in the Final stage. The Challenger that wins the Final stage shall qualify to compete against the Defender in the Match.

4. MATCH
    29.1.© the winner of the Match will be the first Competitor to score at least seven (7) points after applying any penalties

35.3. Limits on Hulls and Cross Beams:
(a) The Defender shall not Launch more than two (2) pairs of Hulls and two (2) pairs of Cross Beams, provided that:
© A Challenger shall not Launch more than one (1) pair of Hulls and one (1) pair of Cross Beams, provided that:

35.4. Launch of AC62 Yachts:
(a) No Competitor shall Launch any pair of Hulls and Cross Beams before the date that is one hundred and fifty (150) days prior to the first scheduled race of the America’s Cup Qualifiers.
(b) The Defender shall not Launch a second pair of Hulls and Cross Beams before the date that is thirty (30) days prior to the first scheduled race of the America’s Cup Qualifiers.

35.5. Limits on sailing AC62 Yachts:
(b) Competitors shall not sail or test an AC62 Yacht in a coordinated manner with another Competitor,
© The Defender shall not sail its two (2) AC62 Yachts together until the America’s Cup Qualifiers has been completed.

And you call this fair ?

Which document is that?

No, the last part doesn’t seem too fair, but according to Mr, Spithill, there was some discussion among all groups involved. We will soon see if everyone is truly satisfied with the conditions.

Apologies l was not clear, it is the signed AC 35 protocol document agreement between the defender & COR, now attached.

J.S is naturally trying to put a positive spin on it as it is part of his role to sell it …reckon he would be more successful selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door, than this ?

Down-load is available here

Who’d believe it? It’s official…

Sir Ben Ainslie will today officially announce a Great Britain team for the 2017 America’s Cup.

From an interview this morning he said that the team would be commercially sponsored with a budget of £80 million, which at todays’ exchange rate equates to just over $134 million - so much for smaller boats making it more affordable!!. There’s talk of bringing Adrian Newey into the team, the worlds most successful F1 designer - that should produce some interesting comment…

More info to follow, I’m sure!!

Cheers,

Row

Thats interesting …BA had committed to todays press announcement long before the protocol was finally released.

Heard following the release of the document he has said that “the protocol is one sided”

Be very interesting to hear his take on entering AC 35 now with the deck stacked against the challengers …or is it a case where they bolted before the protocol door had been opened …ouch !

Apparrently BA says a formal entry will be made within 2 months, so todays event was not confirmation of entry.

Entries are open from June 9th until August 8th, 2014. Sticky point appears to be that the final AC venue has yet been decided & is a negoitation issue to resolve where propsective team sponsors are concerned.

This aside for a moment, teams comments about the AC 35 protocol so far is … SILENCE ! makes one think there is “gag order” in play ?

What the official status the AC 34 teams for AC 35 ?

Thursday June 12th 2014 at 12:00, Luna Rossa Challenge will present online the team with whom it is preparing its fifth and historical participation in the America’s Cup.

June 4th statement: Emirates Team New Zealand said that the team would comment on the Protocol’s contents when it has had time to digest the implications for the team’s proposed challenge.

Artemis Racing web site says “contemplates challenging for the 35th America’s Cup.”

Why do they need Newey on the design team? I though the important parts, wing and foils where “one design” anyway, what they need is a team of programmers that can code a better foil stability control software …

1+ :wink:

I think I’ll build my own AC62, and maybe I’ll take it for a spin in the bay near San Francisco. Maybe I’ll invite a few friends named Jimmy, Russel, or Jerome.

Ha ha …don’t think your new friends are welcome in SF bay area any more, going by this article

http://www.americascup.com/en/news.html

Rules clarifications answer a few questions.

Now it’s official that SF venue is out, teams seeking sponsor commitment just got racked down another notch …Timing could not have been worse for ETNZ as GD says the light could be switched off at ETNZ in 19 days !

Read here

So Oracle would then be unchallenged? :wink:

Uh ? … Australia is the Challenger of Record & with Britain and Italy having announced they’re preparing teams this week, l’m sure each one them will only enter if they see opportunity to win the AC or … do you think they just like to throw their money out the window for the fun of it ?

What a Drama !!!
all that money for nothing !!!
CD

Yesterday GD clarified issues in regard to the protocol and their teams position for AC 35 with Kiwi “bare bones no B.S” press conference.

//youtu.be/ZiGhuCjueTs

the class rule is out for the AC45s too: http://ac.mueva.eu/media/files/m203_ac45-class-rule-2-0.pdf

I didn’t see any mention of ‘foils’ so it looks like the same kind of boat as the last one.

Sheesh … now the Aussie challenge has pulled out !

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11296083

I think they will be back when things get straightened out. I think more people will get involved if they get the rules set up to meet their goals of affordability and such, plus a favorable venue for the event.

Bermuda?
Defence of the Cup held in foreign territory!?!