22 inch catboat

Greetings- this is my latest project, a catboat to my own design, but very much inspired by traditional catboats with a counter stern.

here’s the link- http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnstorrow/sets/72157633172169604/

Stat tuned for launching pics in a month or so.

Cheers,
John Storrow

And a beauty she is!
could you tell us more about the size, the weight and maybe what the sail plan looks like? (=
Cheers
Erik

The keel is a bulb that I made twenty years ago which has been mounted on at least three other boats. I haven’t weighed it but I’d guess around 3 pounds. I usually kindof do it by trial and error. floating it in the tub till it floats right. The sail plan is your standard catboat single gaff sail with relatively high pointing gaff (high peak) which I think is really pretty. I have the plans in my Rhino program.
thanks
John Storrow

Very pretty lines - love that drawn out counter stern. Any ideas as to displacement figures or sail area ?

Regards

Row

Nope, did the sail plan by eye, if the sail is too big I’ll make a smaller one or put a reef in it. Can even saw the keel off and put another one on it if it comes to that, don’t think it will though. she’s got plenty of volume below the waterline and floated there in the tub. She will have plenty of weather helm but that’s part of the charm of catboats with their long booms.

Regards

John Storrow

I’ve only ever sailed full size cat rigged boats (Nonsuch 30 & a smallish Freedom) and while neither had particularly sparkling windward performance I certainly don’t recall weather helm being a notable issue. Is this a trait you’ve noticed with model boats rigged with cat sails or more of a generalisation?

Cheers

Row

Mostly generalization, Or a trait with catboats with long booms sailing down-wind in a strong breeze. When I was a kid we had a Marshall 18 which we sailed in for ten years up and down fishers Island sound. I remember watching the water rush past the rudder on one side and not the other so much.There was definitely weather helm then.

Used to sail R/C model lasers too, they’ve got weather helm at certain times and conditions too to some degree.

cheerio

JKS

added more pics of paint job.
JKS
added still more photos of maiden voyage too
http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnstorrow/sets/72157633172169604/