12mR scale 1:12

Well, I’m back at it again. Took a couple of weeks off due to boring rainy weather. Started to build a stand for it today. Not my favorite, but it had to be done before I can work on the deck. I’m using scrap plywood for this prototype.

I know its been a while but I was wondering if there been any more progress on this build?

I’m starting to build my own 1/12 metre.

This is KA12 Kookaburra 2

Cool!
Where did you find the drawings?
I’m working on Australia II of and on. I have made a carbon fiber fin, and a fin cassette. This to allow the boat to sail with full height rig and sails.
I just bought Sweden (Sverige S3) in scale 1:10 used from a guy on Craigs list. It is huge… I like the scale 1/12 boats.

I got the drawings years ago from a lady overseas who ran a plan business. No idea how she got them but they seemed pretty authentic.

Sverige looks great by the way!

I like the semi scale appearance of the deck, I’m doing the same with K2.

I’ve finished planking the hull and its ready for glass. I have never built a boat this way before, I usually build a plug and make a female mould but that is so much work. To keep the weight out I used 3mm foam rather than balsa, hence why the frames are so close together. Happy with how it is going it so far. Trying to keep finished hull weight under 2kg (that’s what my A2 class boat was)

Link to my A2 sailing https://youtu.be/W-TIgckqVtY

Troy

Thanks!

The guy that owns the molds for Sverige has a scale deck too. This deck is what he calls the race deck. I will try to get hold of him to borrow/rent the mold for the scale deck.
I managed to find pictures online of Sverige at a dock in Newport. I have a pretty good idea how she looked.

Cool that you are building scale 1:12 too!

//Lars

Inspired to build a scale keel, I poured lead today. The keel is slightly heavy, but I’d rather it’s too heavy than the opposite.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I cut some more lead off the top of my wing keel today. I also rough sanded it and installed two keel bolts.

//Lars

Keel installation has begun. I will dry fit the keel, but do the major finish job on it before I install it to the hull.
Cut the dummy keel today, and started to fit the lead keel to the hull. I need to adjust one of the holes a bit, to have it sit straight. It is not perfectly straight yet.
Feels good to be this far along.

//Lars

I worked on the fit between the keel and the hull today. I also added keel reinforcements inside the hull.
The picture is from my very small, messy but warm shed. I’m glad I have this place, where I can work with fiberglass during the wintertime.
It’s not super cold here in Sweden now, but too cold for Epoxy and Poly resin to harden.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas.

//Lars

I don’t know if anyone is looking in this forum anymore, but I’m posting a couple of pictures from my test float of the boat today.

So beautifull to see her in her element.Good job and wish you good luck with the final result.Gilles B.

Don’t worry Lars, many are silent but with open eyes !
Nice Job - Happy New Year
ClaudioD

Thanks for the kind words!

Happy New Year back!
I’m off to my shed now, to do some sanding on the keel/hull transition. Once done sanding, I will start to work on the deck supports.

//Lars

Did some sanding today. I had hoped to do more, but I’m happy with the alignment of the keel. I’m always nervous when installing the keel.
I used a carbon fiber plate to distribute the pressure from the keel bolts.

Work on Australia II continues. Carbon fiber rudder. Balsa core. I’m now working on the interior structures.

//Lars

how heavy is the keel? I would expect to see a bit more support in the keel mount area. looks like you have it good going fore aft, but I don’t see much going port starboard.

just thinking about when the boat heels the loads on the hull

Hello Marc,

I plan to loosen the keel nuts, and reinforce exactly that. The keel weight is 17.5kg or 35 pounds.

The hull is very strong in that area. Fiberglass on both outside and inside. The keel is on the boat very firm, but I plan to add some carbon to get it even stronger.

//Lars

Wow. 35 lbs…

wow that’s heavy.
I could strap my children onto that as a keel.

It’s pretty cool with a 35 pound keel. My Australia II is actually a bit larger than 1:12 scale. It’s scale 1:10.6
I built it the same lenght as my 12mR Columbia.

I will have a lift handle, mounted on the keel bolts to move the boat around. It’s going to be 40+ pounds before it’s ready to sail…

//Lars