10R & Narrow Deck

It’s not easy Claudio.
I got the transom trimmed, but still have that funny thing at the bow like you.
I just do it for practice. Love your drawings, always gives me something to do when I have spare time.
Craig

Hi Craig,
I do also try time to time to use the 3D just for fun since is not helping me very much for the real design.
The effect at the Bow is due to poor dimensioning of the first small shadow and to lazy to correct it.
Here the same 10R-ND project with reversed stern and the idea to make it with light veneer wood and FBG inside and outside of course !
ClaudioD

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/875/m2A0Lp.jpg

The HOLLIDAY time is arrived for me too to address my best wishes to all modellers.
ClaudioD

…and the same to you too!!

And of course a very special ‘thank you’ for all of your wonderful designs, without which a great many of us would get nowhere very quickly!!

My kindest & best regards to you & yours,

Row

Thanks a lot Row.

Thinking about my past years involment with AC120 designs, I told that perhaps one of the most successful design could be “stretched” and re-arragend to become a 10 Rater.
This was the case of the French AREVA - FRA 69.
Is the low “squared” hull draft be an advantage ?
Here below a preliminary sketch :

ClaudioD

Here the 10Rater Hull, style America Cup 2007, as derived from mine AC120 designs.
ClaudioD

After reading this article found on the Net :

http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://alexquertenmont.com/Coques.html&prev=search

I decided to draw a new 10R.

Due to the low Prismatic, good for low wind condition, I will prepare another one type “All Rounder”

ClaudioD

PS: Mod. Chine 5 added. The PC is increased to 0.56 and expected to be an “All Rounded” .

I think I have finalised the layouts of the 10Rater designs.
Two configurations : the ND (Narrow Deck) and the Chine Hull.
What is left now are the constructional shadows details drawings.
The time will come to start building and check which one will be faster !
Claudio

that last design looks really good claudio. I like your transom shape too. I am not sure what the tendency on other designs particularily french designs have a really flat aft sections. to reduce drag when heeled?

Oh and yes I continue to race in the A class but for now my priority is to finish to build the rigs for my XP before I restore my A class. In the meantime I stripped the hull of all stickers and let the hull breath to dry the deck. I’ll have to sealed the join hull/deck and protect the wooden deck.

Posted some pics of my new IOM a woody built by a good friend of mine.

Thanks, how many A class are around in your area ? Any 10Rater ?

In France difficult to say how many different models since the group appears to be rather hermetic. I have counted 11 models on the water last week but no type identification.
What I know is that I have presented the same drawings and collected zero remarks but with 2186 visitors since December .

Cheers
Claudio

https://picasaweb.google.com/100101996830474853815/10R21032015#slideshow/6128733385998902210

http://www.aix-en-provence.com/vrc/10r/mrs032105/164509_s.htm

Hi Claudio,
long time since I logged in as I simply don’t have as much time as before. But I try to log back in from time to time.
We now have 7 A class boats now in Ireland - the only on in ROI with the others in NI. interesting boat to sail as you don’t sail an A-Class like an IOM you need to anticipate more like a big boat.

through one comment from an earliter thread mine is 14.7Kg and it seems a lot of others are around that mark too. There has not been much change in design over the years with Peter evolving the Sweet design to it’s 9th version which is a really good boat across a wide range of wind conditions. Graham’s design swords seems good too but at an obsene sum of money - full carbon and tapered and profiled carbon mast. there are a few other designs but they seem to be too specific to some wind conditions which makes them either really good or not but not good alrounder it seems. The A-Class rules are interesting and similar to the good old 12m JI of the glory years of the AC.

Over here we have a small fleet of RG and DF 65, I’ve struggled to grow the IOM fleet, managed to grow it to over 30 boats but the recession has done its damage. As for the A-Class I don’t know yet how it pan out as they are big boats but really interesting to sail. And the cost expect for a few is similar or cheaper than IOM so it is good from that end too.

Don’t think we ever had a 10R class - I was actually looking seriously at them until Brian twisted by arm to buy an A-Class so no 10R unless other people setup the class. As for M we had around 15-20 I believe but as it became for a wallet class most changed to the IOM and the class died.

Don’t have much interest in the M class myself but I really like the 10R don’t know if it is their size but I find them more elegant than M.

And though we don’t have a Multi class this is my peche mignon - I simply love multis they are great fun to helm and unlike monohulls you need to sail them on the edge but you pay the price if you push too much or don’t anticipate early enough as they will capzise so they’re fun to sail plus they are unusual to look at on the water. Would love a 2M but they’re expensive so need to design one. I have done the rough plans of one - primarily lines. Not that good at doing frames design and calculate the volume and all the good stuff you do. I like a mix of personal experience and a touch of class. a boat has to look beautiful.

“Would love a 2M but they’re expensive so need to design one.”

Did you know Mike Howell from the UK Multihull contingent? He and I managed to hit it off really well and I was disappointed to learn he had passed away. Prior to his death, he had shared some photos and some template lines with me of a 2 M that he was getting ready to build. I believe he had the plugs done - or close to it. If you are serious about a 2 M I can’t think of anyone else that I would care to share the lines with if you are interested. I will send what I have. A great way to honor the guy who was so deep in multihull racing and willing to share. From what I can tell, he only sent me the lines for the main hull - but if you can make contact with Chris Jackson (Traplett Publications) or Robbie Nevitt (BMMA) - perhaps they know where the line drawings might be. Here are a couple of photos as well as the lines I do have. Also, the drawings of “Midnight Oil” by Andy McCulloch (first two photos) are available at a reasonable cost from Traplett Publications. While not state of the art, it is an impressive build, has nice lines and modification to a wave-piercing bow would give it a modern look.

Stay well, and if you proceed, keep us updated. By the way - if you can make contact with Chris Jackson at Traplett Publications (he’s an editor) tell him you are thinking of building Mike Howell’s 2M trimaran and see if he has any knowledge of the plans.

Good luck - - Dick Lemke

There are some evolutions on my design attempt. Which one should be the faster ?
ClaudioD

PS : someone asked to see the side views, here they are ! Main purpose reduction of weight, etc.

Originally was a Class M with “shoe box” configuration as for the America Cup 2007.
Recently transformed in 10Rater and not only… see water plan as used in the years 1870-1885…Pocahontas, Arrow,… !
Do not ask me the rationale, but I told that similar shape would help the pushing effect of the water against the rear part of the hull …as counter part where the first part of the hull is instead creating a push force against water, etc. etc …
Certainly the LCB is very close to midships and the Prismatic Coefficient very low, while the CF remain constant a O° and 25° .

Any drawback, any comment !
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio,

Just catching on forum and the hull above caught my eye …intertesting canoe shape, looks like a full keel cut off at the max hull draft (cod head or wedge, reversed ?)

First thought was that flat freeboard aft would suck the stern down when heeling and that step COA would create lot of turbulence heeling ? … have you come across any similar examples of this canoe in larger “keel fin” yachts

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan
just a funny interpretation of old hull forms applied to a 10R.
No idea about performances, but it worked at that time
Cheers
Claudio

Here below the last plans about the 10R.
Are not Narrow Deck but rather similar to the old America Cup of 2007. The basis is the Areva AC120 that I developed for my friend Mauro. Often winner of several important races.
The major difference between the two is the hull draft and beam.
The displacement is also different, hope to be able to make it within 5.1kg, if not I will reduce the Sail Area accordingly.
I will try also to make a very simple Jib radial boom as such to be as close as possible to the deck roof. Of course one boom for each Jib and Stay position.
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio -

just saw and wanted to mention that I like your “CD Logo” … nice !

Dick

Hi Dick,
since you liked I put it as the new Avatar !!!
BTW there is much rush at the moment !!
Cheers

Excellent !!!