"10 Miles Garda Lake Regatta" - Italy

Hi Dick,
multies weren’t allowed last year. This year I’m not shure.

Last year I had some time to think about it. The problem is the 7 mile foot path and a +4 h sailing time with variable windstrengths. With drifting windconditions at last years start and a reasonable 3Bft at the turning mark, I would have needed different rigs (and a sherpa who would have carried these rigs and might go for a rescue swim :wink:

While I didn’t spend a lot of time translating, I didn’t see anything that required a monohull - or a restricted beam size hull. Maybe an oversight - take your MultiONE along and see if you can “kick some butt”. Big Grin !

Hi Dick,
you are right.
This is what it is written on the Notice of Race :

"La regata è aperta a tutti i timonieri con imbarcazioni radiocomandate. Essendo una
manifestazione di carattere promozionale sono ammessi anche timonieri non tesserati.
Le preiscrizioni dovranno pervenire entro le ore 23:00 di Mercoledì 2 settembre 2015 tramite e-mail
a segreteria@yachtclubverona.it e dovranno essere perfezionate il giorno 6 settembre sul campo
di regata entro le ore 10:00.
Saranno costituiti due gruppi:

• Gruppo A comprendente le imbarcazioni fino a 99 cm di LOA;
  • Gruppo B comprendente le imbarcazioni oltre i 99 cm di LOA fino ad un massimo di 200 cm."

The translation :
"The Race is open to all skippers with radio controlled models.
Being a promotional event, non registered skippers are accepted.
The registrations shall be presented the September the 2nd 2015 before
23.00 hrs via E-mail to: segreteria@yachtclubverona.it and finalised on September the 6th before 10.00 hrs at the race area.
Two groups are foreseen:
Group A for models up to 99cm LOA
Group B for models above 99cm up to 200cm LOA

By “All” is automatically understood that are accepted all models that are floating without distinction of mono or multi hull type.

ClaudioD

Thanks Claudio,

yes, I thought the multihulls are new as well as there is no limitation in LOA (above 50cm) as last year.
(Would like to see Claudio Vigada with his footy :slight_smile: )

Thanks Dick,
I’ll keep that in mind :smiley:
at least it would be plan B!

Yes, Lake Garda is the place to be, if you are loving inshore-racing in Europe!

[video=youtube_share;pjwiUGVjTI8]http://youtu.be/pjwiUGVjTI8?list=PLp4VOjWfBLTEapfsOmAl30flqRvOdMq4 g[/video]

(BTW: they offer learning lessons how to fly a Moth!)

Last years winner Claudio Vigada has signed in to defend his title next september with his ‘classe 2m del Garda’.

This year it could be closer as Riccardo Bonechi
(last years best IOM, which took the finish line in front of a marblehead boat)
signed in with his ‘classe Maxi ACC 185 cm’

entry list:

http://www.modelvela.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71&sid=b5e4364ac49c9b8c064d54eb4badcb50

classification:

http://www.yachtclubverona.it/images/documents/2015/10M_Classifica.pdf

With the help of google I tried a translation of the organizers report:
http://www.modelvela.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71&sid=01c39f497e948d5855291fd3e4e06046

hope it’s ok.

A beautiful sunny day greeted the sailors who rushed to the Lake Garda for the 2015 edition of the 10 Miles.
In the morning the wind from the north (the “Pelèr”) was blowing pretty strong 15 knots and the square of Torri was crowded by spectators and busy skipper assembling their boats.

At 10:30h, the departure time, Upwind, wind just dropping to 10 knots.
Good starts for Apostoli with his 10R Diamond, Patron and Benetti with their M-class-boats and an excellent start for Lucchetti with his IOM Stealth, trying now to take meters ahead of the pack.

Vigada with his ‘classe 2m del Garda’ had a last minute launch and had to join the field a bit late.
Unfortunately Bonechi with his nice big classe Maxi ACC 185 cm ‘Mascalzone Latino’ got problems with the winch and the circuit immediately after the start and was forced to fix it.

In the first meters Apostoli seems to have a good speed and is able to get rid of Lucchetti. From the back Vigada is threatening with an impressive pace.
After 3 or 4 tacks Vigada passes Apostoli who had constantly set a gap to the following M class of Benetti.
After the first quart of the course Vigada is already 200 meters ahead of Apostoli, and another 200m ahead of the class M boats.Vigada looks impregnable and it is hoped that the change of wind from the north to the south could mess up the cards again.

Unfortunately the north wind ‘Pelèr’ continues, albeit declining, it looks like Vigada is benefiting further more.
At the turning mark in Pai Vigada has about half a kilometer between his boat and Apostoli,
and once the buoy at his stern … the wind still does not change.

When the wind turned south the stretch to Vigada had something of a nightmare.
A stretch characterized by a counter-current, in some points with impressively 1-2 knots.
The fleet of pursuers could not go back to Torri and was caught in Pai.
Fortunately after a while the wind from the south grew strong enough, otherwise only few would have returned to Torri.
Everyone tried to move against the current centimeter by centimeter.
Who was off, was almost on the beach … who sought the best passage. In short, a real ordeal for everyone.

After a while the current was still strong but not strong enough
and slowly the pursuers arrived at the bay near the finishline,
where was another difficult point with a current, where again the skippers
suffered a lot.

Vigada with his ‘classe 2m del Garda’ won line honours in 3 hours and 17 minutes,
followed by Apostoli in 4 hours and 10 minutes,
Third Zuanazzi with his class M Waliky (b-rigged).
Patron’s M-class fourth.
Fifth, not far away from Patron, Lucchetti finished a good race with the first of IOM in an almost five hours race.

Then, after waiting for all boats, there were given delicious refreshments organized by the Yacht Club Verona, where was much joy in telling the different adventures realized during the race.
Thanks to everyone who participated, and a great compliment to all the skippers who tried and finished this enterprise.
We wait for the edition 2016.

//youtu.be/AuFFjfsaY8w

Nice job and thanks for taking the time to post. Where are all the sunbathing ladies? [smile] I have an opportunity to purchase one of Doug Lord’s F3 older Foiling trimarans. Current owner suggest it might need a new voltage regulator. Would be neat to get it back to sailing and maybe form a team to get some financial backing and take a trip to put it up against the 2 meter monohull. I think it would be a good race. Sponsors would be helpful to off-set the costs. Will have to give that thought - although the wife is my main concern. I already purchased a DF65 monohull, and a Force 2-60 catamaran this year. Not sure if the MicroSAIL foiler is in the budget. :wink: :rolleyes:

Stay well

Dick

Photos for those never seeing the foiler.

Hi Dick,

there were a lot of wonderfull nice ladies! And I’ve got new sun glasses (polarized!!! :slight_smile: )
May explain my late finish time :wink:

I often thought about the F3 or the fire arrow, at least it must foil upwind (this year’s winner had 70% upwind time, I had 100%). But I have a serious storage ploblem, at home and in the car.

My wife had a great day, inTorri was a sunday market and after that she went to the neighbourtown and came back with the evening-ferry.

Hope You’ll get the F3-Rocket!

Best wishes
Wolfgang

The problem is size… especially for air travel. Doug notes his beam width for the foils under each ama is CL to CL main foils=60"(158.38cm) Trying to travel with that PLUS a tall mast creates problems. In the good old days of air travel, one could build a nice wooden case (long) and get it on as carry-on to assure no damage. Now I think I’d have to build a double wall and trust that the guys loading the plane would be careful ??? Haa Haa. And it isn’t just the length of the carbon tube beam - it is the wand assembly and foils which are of more concern. Wonder what air freight would run. I must remember to ask Doug sometime if he remembers.

BTW:

new personal record: 7.5h non stopp operation time with 1776mA spend out of one single 5AAeneloop battery pack

with following configuration:
MPX RX-7-DR M-LINK 2,4 GHz: ca. 60 mA/h
MPX FlightRecorder: ca. 36 mA/h
MPX GPS V2 Sensor: ca. 65 mA/h

2 Hitec HS-765HB armwinches
1 Graupner DS8077 rudderservo

makes 237 mA/h

close hauled position (the smaller arm is for the main sail):

Hi to all,

This year very difficult and interesting condition for the 10 Miglia del Garda 2015 edition
Very hi number of participans this year: 23 at the start and 14 arrived to the end and perfect organization with very fast inflatable boat for recovery of the boat and beautiful refreshments at 1/3 and 2/3 of the distance for all competitors.

here any photos: the origin of images is various (Facebook contacts/Riccardo Bonechi/Apostoli and others) and are collected on my Facebook Progetto Urca page on a dedicated album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.738030209634492.1073741860.307924195978431&type=3

The fleet after the start

Paolo Zuanazzi: m class (Valicky)

Muneghina Valerio and Marino Benetti: m class

Umberto Aliasi: 2m del Garda

Federico Aliasi: 2m del Garda

Riccardo Bonechi: ACC 185 cm

continue…

continue…

Tuppesw Boat

Recovery Boat in action

Urca For Record in Pai direction

Urca For Record returning to Torri

Urca for record near the shore of the lake to remove algae

Urca For Record team after the arrival

Urca For Record after the arrival

Urca For Record team inside the yacht club Torri del Benaco

All the participans

And the firsts of each class

Many thanks to all the perfect organization and the presents and also to Tuppesw (Wolfgang) that arrives from Germany with his beautiful boat and made a nice video of the 10 Miglia del Garda 2015. We hope for the next year to have more foreign participants following his example.

Bye.

Grazie, Claudio!

I’m still trying to hook some guys for next year :wink:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/476795-10Miglia-del-Garda-Gardasee-Langstreckenregatta?p=3823349&viewfull=1#post3823349

fino al prossimo anno!

(I think I need a faster boat :wink: )

and another record:

240 tacks !!!

during leg 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_piNzPCZL0b1o5WlBPdTBqRVk/view?pli=1

and leg 2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_piNzPCZL0X25ZQ25LeVJESm8/view?pli=1

plus another estimated 32 tacks at my little odysse at the turning mark at pai
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx_piNzPCZL0SFRld1lJdWs2bFk/view?pli=1
. :wink:

Did I mention at the turning mark there was the change from north wind to south wind (so actually no wind but still the strong currents at the sea from the south).

Woohoo, another upwind leg after the first upwind leg! So lots of fun!!! :wink:

https://youtu.be/VSKyTt7-ryA

Another video: it is the “diario” of 10 miglia del Garda by Giovanni Trigolo who developed a low cost prototipe concepted to participate at the 2016 edition.
A lot of problem during his long trip… but at the end he arrived till to the finish line.
:smiley: