xx

Where on the website does it show the keel? I’m sort of website challenged-I can never find anything.

Thanks
Don
Vancouver Island

Part of the reason “scale” boats may need a longer keel than the original design is the so called “scaling effect”. An object may be scaled down in terms of the lineal dimensions, but ratios of area and volume are no longer proportional. Area dimensions will change exponentially at a square (2nd power) rate and volume scales change at the 3rd power. Since righting moment is dependent on mass (volume of ballast)& distance from the center of buoyancy, the length of the moment arm (fin) must be lengthened to make up for the loss of mass due to the reduced scale. This is why most models need to have disproportionately deep keels (or reduced rigs) in order to sail properly in anything other than light wind.

Hi Bill!
True. This became obvious in the 2.4mr class. The early boats were very weak and fastly got overpowered. A heavier keel, skipped spinnaker, and jib instead of genoa solved some of the problems. Still my Kyusho Fortune behavs very well. By the way, your surname seems Scandinavian, probably Danish or Norwegian.
Regards,
Booster

Hello,