Who's buiding K-2s?

I have not had any problems with the mast rotating. in fact, it can’t because there’s a slight bend in the tube, so it’s sort of jammed in the socket. Otherwise, a small shim could also hold it from turning; even a piece of string would work.

okay…finally getting off my butt.

The bottom panel is now glued on…one side goes on tonight.

Use lots of tape and the extra foam parts, like in the assembly photos, to help you press the panels on while the glue sets up.

Actually used no tape, just the foam parts, a rectangular plastic bin, and a 5 lb weight.

Okay…finally seeing spring has arrived, the K2 now has a bottom, two sides and a stern.

No more sitting in front of the TV until this is done!

Okay, late train home last night, late dinner in front of the TV last night after the kids were in bed.

I did get the edges of the stern sanded, so I’ve got sides, bottom and stern done.

Two thoughts I messed around with last night.

1. I’m thinking about notching the corners of the servo board, and installing some basswood strips in the interior corners to better anchor the board to the foam.

2. Thinking about how to make this a “removable keel” boat. You’d think it should be pretty easy to create a box inside the hull, between the slot and the servo board. The extra weight would be negligible, especially with the new battery rules.

Any thoughts on those mods?

You shouldn’t need extra support for the radio board, because the loads are small.

I did put in a little extra myself tho; a couple strips of very thin ply on the sides, and sanded the edges of the servo board to fit, then epoxy the servo board in per instructions.

I also used the bluebird 380 servo for sail control instead of a standard servo. Just glue the piece that’s there into the servo board instead of punching it out, or make a filler from ply and cut out a hole of the required dimensions for the desired servo. I glued on a ply patch/shelf to the underside so the sail servo would be lower. I don’t see why you couldn’t glue in the servo board so the sail servo is almost touching the bottom (with a little room underneath the servo for water- just in case.)

You can see both mods in the picture below.

On the side-topic of goosenecks:
Does anyone have a simple and effective gooseneck for Footy mainsail booms?
I have used the two-interlocked-split-cotter-pins idea and also found it to lock at the wrong times. While the McCormack rig avouds the problem very neatly, some still like conventional rigs.
Has anybody tried using a solid connection between the mast and the boom, and then letting the mast itself rotate? This might be an effective way to dispense with vangs (kicking straps) and also allow the deck-to-boom gap to be reduced.

Like the “brushed metal” look…that’s kinda cool.

I see what you did around the edges, creating a lip for the board to set on. As far as the servo goes, I will probably use a larger servo than the bluebird.

Gotta get this thing built!

for the gooseneck/vang assembly. dubro ball links…
.http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFPW8

I’ll take some pics of mine when I get home later tonight…