where to buy balsa

hey anyone know where to get the 48" pieces of balsa for planking. the only thing i’ve been able to find are 36" long. so anyone in the detroit area know of a place?

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

Depends on what you are building. If it isn’t going to be finished clear, and will be a plug, you can use the 3 foot long pieces and just butt end glue them over the top of one of your cross section shadow templates. Stagger your joints over a variety of the stations.

If you are going to finish clear, you can scarf two pieces together to get the length needed, although the scarf area will not bend with same characteristics as the rest of the strip/plank.

Finally, here are a couple of places that offer 48 inch long blasa - but are mail order.

http://www.richmondrc.com/vma/storecusavma/productpages/productpage%20cusa%20vma%20balsa.htm
RICHMONDS RC

www.specializedbalsawood.com
Specialized Balsa - Colorado

http://www.nationalbalsa.com/product1.htm
National Balsa - Springfield MA

<font color=“green”><u>ADDED BY EDIT:</u>
For EXPRESS and all,… I refer you to the US 1 Meter Construction Guide and Tips on the AMYA web site, as there is a section on how to “stretch” your balsa (i.e. scarf).</font id=“green”>

I don’t have a model aircraft magazine handy, but if you get one, find the ad for the balsa supplier located in Lancaster Texas. Great source of all balsa, spruce, and ply.

Scarfing - yeccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. But that’s just me. This comes from building a Dumbass Star 45 kit mast… like 9 pieces of wood…never again.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

Um…check the traditional model airplane mags - like Model Aviation or Model Airplane News. I forget the place - it might be onme of the linkds bove, but it’s nothing but wood, very good quality and cheap. I think it’s the Lone Star place. I got my J-boat decking ply from them…1/32x12x48 birch for something like $11.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

hey would 1/2" planks work for the hull instead of 5/8" planks?

i love tinkering with these boats it takes up time i’m sure my girfreind is going to hate it soon

The best hobby store in the Detroit area is The Prop Shop on 9 mile and Van Dyke. www.prop-shop.com Doesn’t look like much from the outside but has the best selection of any store I’ve been to and best prices. They have a much bigger balsa/building supplies section then any of the Rider’s have and better prices. It’s the only hobby store in the Detroit area I’ve found worth going to. For online www.balsausa.com