What the hell is going on with this forum?

What the hell is going on with this forum? It seems like a pitched battle here, there has been practicaly no useful discussions in days, can we all just chill out a bit and get back to talking about R/C sailing, not ppls characters please! Dick i take it has just left, i dont know exactly why but im thinking of saying sod it too. Chad- I think we need some sensible moderators in some of the discussion areas if this forum isnt to become a total joke.

If its not blowing it sucks!

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Matthew Lingley

Dick i take it has just left, i dont know exactly why <hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

A fair question to ask, Matthew - please allow me to respond.

I have, for the most part, tried to respect others. I expected the same respect in turn. Some did - some didn’t and that is life - I had no hard feelings toward them. During the past several weeks (months) the number of repetitive posts on this forum increased, and duplicate posts with a few word changes appeared in multiple topics. Soon it became an effort to keep track of the topic and the thread, since so much was repeated. As the volume increased, so did the time needed to wade through all the posts to skip over the ones which were repeats, duplicates or where the contents were posted before.

In an effort to ask for common courtesy, respect for myself as well as other readers, my suggestions to eliminate the multiple posts, and reduce repetitive posts, made in a courteous manner were met with condescending comments as though I was a child. As more and more claims of technological performances were made regarding new products or ideas, I too began to wonder if/when we would ever see them. If the poster was asked - it was considered a “personal attack”. If I (politely) suggested the postings be reduced in volume, a response that basically indicated no one could (or would) tell him how to post was made. We were told we could just ignore the posts and not read them. Unfortunately, if a similar post appears in nearly every topic it becomes extremely difficult to dodge them while reading posts from other readers. I liken it to trying to avoid a hooker on Main Street on a Friday night! Impossible to do. And the ultimate question - “Why Do <u>WE</u> Have To Ignore HIM?”

I honestly gave it a try to convince him that volume and repetitive posts were not good Internet Etiquette!

First I joked with him on-line, and nothing happened.
Then I emailed him suggesting a reduction in similar posts in multiple topics and nothing happened.
Then I hinted on-line so as not to create an issue and the hints were ignored and nothing happened.
Then I actually “ASKED” that he voluntarily refrain from multiple posts in multiple topics and about the same thing, I was rebuffed by him in public.
After trying to be polite, I then tried a more direct and “hostile” approach and even that didn’t work. It is interesting to note, that if he makes 25 posts about “his ideas” - it was unacceptable to ask the same 25 questions for each of his posts ?. “When will we see it?”

I gave it my best effort to convince him that it was in everyone’s best interests to consider my initial polite and courteous suggestion, but it was to no avail. Instead, I even received an email - suggesting I’m running, acting like a child and being “pissy” about the whole thing.

Well - I’m not running, and if leaving instead of having to put up with this kind of inconsiderate actions on a public forum is being a child, then so be it. Yes - I’m being “pissy”. In fact I am down-right “pissed off” that this site can be bullied into accepting this kind of behavior from an individual. You can leave as well - or you can stay and condone this boorish behavior. That becomes your choice now.

I’m sure there will be a follow up post with a twist to it to put the blame on me. Of course I caused him to post so any times. Of course it isn’t his behavior or his problem?.. I just didn’t understand, ??. I didn’t read it ???.. I’m completely wrong ???. I’m uneducated?? Or any of his other numerous retorts about why he is always right and why I (we) are always wrong.

Regardless, I will still respond with appropriate and “official” posts on behalf of the F-48 Class, and may return if there are changes. But, I guess I don’t hold out hope that someone who is so inconsiderate of others will ever change.

Warmest Holiday Wishes to All and may 2004 be an even better sailing year for you!

i would like to respond to this question. first thing first I am sorry about double postined my question about marbleheads. it was unintenional( sorry for the spelling) . i take reponseablitlty for my actions. second I agree somewhat with matthew , there are some threads that have goone from the orginal idea , is this bad, i dont think so. a exchange of ideas is good, but there should be a section where people can spitball and idea and let it snowball into something completly differnent. we should all look at policing the board, and not leave it up to just a couple of people
merry xmas to all ( and just think. it is only 3 months untill the ice is gone

Dick, it’s one thing to be upset with me ; it is entirely another to deliberately sabotage the forum by removing the titles to all your posts under the Technology and multiONE sections . A lot of others contributed to topics YOU started and you’ve left it so that no one knows what the topic is.
You have made criticisms of me that I felt were largely unfounded and when I didn’t take your “suggestions” or disputed your claims you decided, apparently, to leave and to try to hurt the forum in the process and that is really unfortunate.

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

Some nerve Doug. You are one heck of a train wreck! The new comers here will learn in time, as Dick and I did, along with countless others. You have hijacked this site and were certainly the first to go around rewriting post and topics.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by lorsail

…You have made criticisms of me that I felt were largely unfounded and when I didn’t take your “suggestions” or disputed your claims you decided, apparently, to leave and to try to hurt the forum in the process and that is really unfortunate.

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

I truly hope that people here will see through you on this Doug. What Dick posted was good for all here to know and as the F48 class organizer within the AMYA, he did absolutely the right thing! I just wish he had NOT removed those posts. But he did, feeling he was doing this discussion board a favor in doing so, but you still attack anyway.

Nobody has ever ,to my knowledge on any forum (except Dick to a lesser degree on windpower), gone back to topics he started and removed the title and the introductory post. I understand Dick is upset with me -so be it. But this is a slap in the faces to the hundreds of people that have read the 5 topics he started in his own name and the 5 he started in the F48 Class name and then last night removed the titles and intro post.
One of the posts removed in the Saturday Night Massacre was “Introduction to Small Multihulls(or words to that effect)” that I wrote and Dick posted to help beginners understand rc multihull considerations. Now Dick has made it impossible for the original readers or new readers of those posts to know what the subject matter was without going back and reading all of the posts. How does this “get at” or punish me? It hurts the vast majority of forum users who could give a rats ass about the latest battle and are simply interested in rc sailing.

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com

Dick; thank you for explaining your actions, I dont think deleting all your posts was such a great idea, but if you feel that may help thats your dicision.

Doug; I respect you totaly for your designs and your wilingness to help others. However i do see Dicks’s points in that you do repeat yourself alot in your posts, and that when you discribe your ideas you do talk them up a bit, which may seem to others like an advert for as yet un-tested boat/rig/system or whatever.
If you wish to refer to somthing youve posted already can you not just put a link in your post and say where the information is on the page?; it just means that those who already know about what you are refering to dont have to read it all over again, its just a little less tedious. Also do please do not attack criticism of your ideas as an attack on you, the forum is for the dicussing of ideas not the defending of them. I do understand your frustration at the all out blocks that some ppl put out as soon as somthing other than somthing with two sails an some immoveable lead is mentioned, but thats up to them.

Greg; Thank you for your great additon to this thread, you made my intial point exactly, put the knife down please.

If its not blowing it sucks!

Hmm… What to say?

For anybody who isn’t aware I put this nice button called <font face=“Arial”><font color=“red”>Alert Moderator</font id=“red”></font id=“Arial”>at the bottom of every post in order to help things from getting out of hand. But I dont think anybody realizes it or they dont care to use it ???

<font size=“4”>Please try to stay on Topic…(and limit reposting of information “linking works too”)</font id=“size4”>

Dick- your information to this site is very important to me and would encourage you to stay and leave the topics that you created for others who are in need of help.

Doug- relax on the hype bit.(Your also being added to the “watch list” for the next 15 days which will still allow you to post just it tracks them due to complaints brought to my attention.) Like what Matthew pointed out. <blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>If you wish to refer to somthing youve posted already can you not just put a link in your post and say where the information is on the page?; it just means that those who already know about what you are refering to dont have to read it all over again, its just a little less tedious. Also do please do not attack criticism of your ideas as an attack on you, the forum is for the dicussing of ideas not the defending of them. I do understand your frustration at the all out blocks that some ppl put out as soon as somthing other than somthing with two sails an some immoveable lead is mentioned, but thats up to them.
sorry couldn’t have said it better.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>
Mattew Lingley:
Chad- I think we need some sensible moderators in some of the discussion areas if this forum isnt to become a total joke.

[:-angel] Still searching for somebody who is willing to step forward and mod some sections?
Volunteers anybody?[:-bouncy]

To everybody Else-
Thank you all for your support and sticking here. I m excited for some free time to open up and get developing on some new features comin up. This forum helps so many that I would love to see it continue, so thank you to all who have helped it to get where it is today.

CHAD OUT[:-pirate][:-turtle][:-viking][:-knockout]

Just a reminder… use the darn Admin Alert so that I can find out what is going on sooner and it makes it a ton lot easier to resolve the problem.

well done Chad…thought you were off…you are right, I didnt see the Alert moderator button…anyway its too bad Dick removed his post, but i do understand why…anyway PEACE to all…and lets have fun and more about rc sailing or sailing…is it not about fun???or passion???cmon get your boats and sail!

Wis

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

chad this forum has let me meet new friends. and i like this board. I agree with most of the people here , in saying that doug keeps repaeting himself , but he does know alot about canting keels. and if he can help other , just like you have done. it is a good thing. i just wished i could get more information on nzl 32 ( i guess i sound like doug lol)
cougar

Just bumping this thread again 'cos its regained relevence. I can put up with these arguments in a single thread, but in 4, at the same time???!!! Bugger all of any use has been posted in the past 4 days. This is mad, its got to stop before it rips the site apart. If your gonna flame someone keep it to “The Pub” area and dont take up the whole bloody site.

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

cha di f you need a moderator. I would be willing to do it. but i realy do not have much experience.I like the pub idea , maybe we can have personal attacks , but only there. like at a bar after a reggata… like saying I was on starboard when you hit me?. but not here when we are dicusses ideas. and banning people with new ideas is wrong, what happend to freedom of ideas. if I am wrong , i will be the first to admit it. I dont like people pushing thier products. I am guilty here , I am trying to get people intrested in a new class. a small Iacc boat. but i am not selling anything and if people dont want to hear about it, that is find with me. for all the people here . dont give up on this board , it is a great one , and i have made some good friends. i would like to speak with greg v. . JIm lindville told me some good thing about him. so he cant be that bad. and doug. well he is inovatived. and maybe we could all just get along. any news on drawing for nzl 32?
cougar