What has happened to the traffic?

Since the new forum has officially launched, it seems to me that the number of posts here have dropped dramatically.[:-shake]

Is it just me? Are people not transferring over to the new system?

This used to be like the Sailing Anarchy of Model Boating. Now it’s very similar to www.rcsailtalk.com. It was better as just a list with random postings.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Ryan

This used to be like the Sailing Anarchy of Model Boating. Now it’s very similar to www.rcsailtalk.com. It was better as just a list with random postings.
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Hmmm… Well, There used to be a lot more postings. But a lot of those postings weren’t (umm well “productive”). I dont understand what you mean when you say random posts? do you mean the fact that you could see the replies? (cause I can do that if you wanted.) The old style form was also taking up quite a bit of space and was very hard to moderate. I was hoping that the new forum would allow for more expression and the ability to communicate better and faster. I’m currently working on converting all of the old forum posting into a database form which should allow it to be searched easier. Plus, It has a ton of VERy useful information. 1997 was a good year [:D]
There are other great projects going on too.

To me it was a little easier to browse the discussions under the old format. It was kind of “one stop shopping” while this format requires a little digging. Just my 2cents.

Kristopher

Could it be, folks are actually out SAILING more…[^]

Fair Winds,
David Goebel

I know that I could not create an account here for one. I had to send a note to the webmaster and ask him to make me one. I can’t do it on either browser (IE or Netscape). I can’t make one on rcsailtalk either which appears to use the same software. I don’t know who else has that problem.

If the forum is going to be moderated it should moderate the seld promotion/advertisement/spam posts should be moderated as well. These posts still aren’t “productive”. It was easier to look through the messages and tell what was new. Right now it’s difficult to tell when anything new is posted and it would be nice to see who the post is by. The old forum was different.

This has turned into a copy of another already existing forum. What advantage is their to this one over that one?

So you would like to see the replys and actual posts? is that what would help?

[-crzwom] I think this forum set up is excellent if you want to have a discussion but the other system allowed a sort of unregulated free for all that was sort of like sailing anarchy and mostly unproductive in the sense that people would not often"discuss" they would
shout and run in many cases.
I think that maybe its a matter of people getting used to this site but it also may be that there is no interest in discussion; maybe people really liked the old flame war crap(while saying they didn’t) but it seems to me that the new setup is much more conducive to having real discussions if people wanted to take advantage of it.
On the previous incarnation of the forum some people felt completely unconstrained in what they said or how they said it and that led to bursts of activity that while accomplishing little provided a certain “entertainment”; I hope we don’t go back to that…

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

I think that Chad has done great work here and I dont want to discount that what so ever. HOWEVER I was one of the people that voted that they liked the old format better than the new. I like the one completely open forum where you can see very easily ALL the conversations going on. My use of this forum has been less because I dont like having to actually go into each of the different forums to follow any given topic. In the old format, you could follow all conversations from one page. Sure, it probably wasted more hot air than this new format, but I believe you go more crosspollenation of ideas in the old forum. This forum does now feel alot like rcsailtalk.com. I used to like their distinct differences. Rcsailtalk being very structured and moderated with everything grouped, like you were going to a formal meeting. Rcsailing.net, for the conversations that you would have a round a bar, with only a bartender to cut you off if he ever did. I dont know about you guys, but I would rather sit in the bar and watch people (roy and doug) argue over pointless (or incredibly important) things then sit in a formal meeting for any length of time.

Once again, chad, you have done GREAT work on both forums, please only take this only as a piece of constructive criticism.

~tb

So I ll take it as you people want to see the replies on the Frontpage so you can follow the conversations easier… OK… Then I ll work on getting that set-up. The only problem with that setup is when there are a ton of posts the page gets really long. But its worth a try…

Chad,

I wouldn’t change a thing. I love the new format. It is much easier, at least in my mind to have topic areas, pull it up, and scroll the entire topic than the old format. Perhaps the number of post is done as Dave said, wee sailing. I’ve noticed the same at RC sailtalk, and my Northwind group.

Chris

Chris
EC#1582
NW1582

Great format. Change nothing m8. Just click on the Active Topics to see the new posts, not that hard. I have cable so loading long pages won’t worry me but think of the people on dial-up.

Darryl

I have dialup and I prefer the long page with listings.

Chad-
Would it be possible to create a new Forum that was just that days topics? It could link back to the original threads?

Kristopher

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by rcsoar4fun

Chad-
Would it be possible to create a new Forum that was just that days topics? It could link back to the original threads?

Kristopher
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

I ll see what I can do… The Active Topics you can select if you want to see the days topics… (I do kinda miss the old format sometimes)

I don’t know if you people are aware of this but if you want to follow a specific thread or topic you can also hit the “subscribe” button that will alert you through email if anybody has posted… (just thought I would mention it)

People are certainly out sailing…

But, interesting fact about the traffic on the new site (now that the board keeps track of total posts)-- almost half of all postings here come from just two people…

Maybe a bit of Gresham’s Law at work…

Gee Roy-and your point is? I like this forum and I think there is a lot going on in the world of technology that is worth discussing intelligently.

<font color=“red”>edit by chad</font id=“red”>

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

Wow! I was just about to comment on how much more civilized this board has become! Some things cannot change I guess.

Bruce Andersen
Precision Park West
Highest Technology Racing Sailboats
“Beyond Hyperbole”

Clearly Bruce, it has. The “text” you were commneting on has been “moderated” out of existence by Chad. A new day! Thanks, Chad.

Thanks Chad! Hopefully you won’t have to exercise that authority often.

Rob