The Orlando NCR Fleet

It is great that many of you are building boats or dialing in your current ones for the NCR. I think it would be a good idea if everyone coming make sure you let us know what boat you are sailing at the regatta. It will be interesting to keep track of what specs work out best at the event and then let everyone know how it turned out.

I’m looking at ways of keeping track of models, build materials and rigs that are used so we can all learn from the experience. That aside, many of us agree it’s the thumbs that count most.

Good sailing and get your enties in in the next week so we can finalize the headcount.

Thanks

I heartily agree with that. My legs mean I’m not coming (:grumpy:) but I would love to.

I think it is very important that major events like yours have someone appointed as a journalist/reporter to give a decent account of what happened asap - think of the schedules of a daily paper, not a monthly (and remember Europe is 5 hours ahead of Florida). You also need a have a follow up - within a week - wiyj a considered view of the design scene by someone who knows what they are talking about. If they are a comperting designer (and can resist blowing their own trumpets TOO much), so much the better.

To get people to come long distances to these events (National/Sub-National events in North America, European events here), they have to be seen to be important. Part of putting that imporance across means good communications (in the sense of what used to be called PR).

End of rant!

On a slighly difficult topic, it would be super if your regatta became a basis for more than one American entry in the Copa d’Italia, the International team prize being presented by Flavio Faloci, run within Euro Footy GP. Because both Flavio and I have been busy, we haven’t quite got our act together on the formal challenge, but essentially we are talking about 2 boats per nation, points within the general racing - like the Admiral’s Cup, etc.

We are prepared to stretch the definition of nations as neceaasy. If there were 4 boats from the USA I am sure we coul accept entries from North and South, East and West coast or whatever suited. The name of the game is thumbs on sticks.

We can definitely assure you of a superb welcome - and the current plight of the pound means that things like car hire, accommodation, food etc. are at (hopefully :devil3:) unrepeatablebargain prices.

Sorry to put this little spam in your thread. I’ll go way now!

:zbeer::zbeer::zbeer:

The Pond Sprite ‘Orlando Twins’ are nearly done, radio is going into my #2 now. #3 is awaiting instructions you might say. Now I have to go through my rigs and see what I have, need to make a B-rig just in case too.

getting excited and nervous now :scared:

nice looking boats graham. if I may, who does your keel bulbs?

FWIW I’m bringing a bunch of my torpedo/cigar shaped keel bulbs to the NCR (6,7, 8 ozs) for anyone who wants them FREE… Doing my part to recycle the lead… and keep us in harms way…:slight_smile:

Hi Darrell,

f there were to be a database of typical Footy stats, I think it would be of great use in designing and building our next contenders. The Yahoo groups site has a database folder we could use for this info. Things like actual hull length & width, displacement, keel depth (& area), bulb weight, rudder size, mast height, type of rig, and accurate sail area would all be good to know. Of course, many builders may consider this “secret” information, while many others may not actually know some of the things like keel or rudder area, accurate sail area, etc., because their models were built using the “looks about right” method. Still, while any of that info would be interesting and useful to have, collecting it might be a task worse than measuring is in some of the other classes!

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park (Ft. Lauderdale), FL USA
AMYA #0835
Footy #835

Darrell and Bill, for some of us access to the Yahoo Footy group is an ongoing struggle. Joining the group from my wife’s Mac is frustrating and so far unsuccessful. I know that other folks have had trouble with Yahoo groups so posting of data should find its way onto the Footy website. Isn’t that what it is for? Posting the info on this forum would be a good idea as well.

Hi Niel,
Posting data on this group would be fine with me, I merely mentioned Yahoo because that site has an easy to use database folder built-in as part of it’s services. Sorry to hear you are having problems with Yahoo on your wife’s Mac. I also use a Mac (actually, two of 'em), and my 10+ year old 7300 w/G4 upgrade is almost impossible to log onto Yahoo, because it is so old, there is no longer browser support for it, and the ancient MS Internet Exploder browser that will still work on it is no longer compatible with much of the software at the other end of the internet. My “new” Mac is actually over 5 years old, and I found that the browser that came with it (Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6) was a PITA, so I switched to Mozilla’s Firefox (v2.0.0.2-it’s free) and things work pretty well. Firefox has just recently announced it will no longer develop this browser (and their newer browsers will only work with the newer Intel Dual-core processor equipped Macs), so when this one stops working like my old MS browser on the other computer, I’ll need to buy a new computer. If you’re used to Netscape browsers, you’ll like Firefox - it was done by the same developers. Newer computers & software that obsoletes the equipment you are now using, and manufacturers that stop supporting older models so that you are forced to buy new ones are an unfortunate reality of computers, but we see a similar thing with model sailboats, too, don’t we?

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Oakland Park, FL USA
AMYA #0835
Footy #835

Hi Marc, the bulbs I cast myself in half moulds. They are the ones which go in the Kittiwake kits with a ply core on the fin for easy alignment. Here I have epoxied them ‘lead to lead’ and mounted them differently. Add a bit of filler and they make a nice slender body shape. I’ll be most interested to see yours.

Graham

Hi Mark

Looking forward to meeting you at the NCR. I would like to try one of each of your 7 and 8 oz ballasts if you bring them.

I currently am using a 6 oz that I made by cutting the fat ends off of two 4 oz fishing weights and threading them together with a short rod and epoxy and final shaping.

A local fishing store molds various sinkers quite cheaply. I will get weights, photos & prices and share if anyone is interested.

No problem. I’ll probably head to a tire store tomorrow or sunday to get some new lead… I may even bring some ingots down to share for the those who pour their own…