the 3r class?

Hi Cougar

The same idea behind the Phigit class (use an IOM rig on a hull), but it has not met with too much success except in Italy. And Dan said earlier that he didn’t want to go this way with the 3R.

“Yacht Rating” by Peter Johnson is a must read for all would be rule makers.
It is my most read book this year.

Dan, while you are reviewing the rule… One of the major problems for me is that there is no prohibition on hollows in the surface of the hull near the waterline. Hence a hull can have hollows, and this gives a number of issues. (a) This can make a hull rather ugly; (b) It means you cannot design a nice looking hull that will be competitive; and © It means there is no effective control over the ‘true’ sailing length. The 10R class rules have some words which address this issue quite comprehensively. Hope this helps.

Another thread on this forum is begun by a newbie. His question is; What boat should I build/buy? The replies, including my own, urged him to find a club and buy or build into the class that was popular within the group.

This thread has some very scholarly and well written advice on getting a semi new class out of the woods. That does not square with the advice given to the newbie gentleman. There is a finite number of prospective RC sailors out there. If we give them too many choices they will be put off by indecision. They may take up underwater basket weaving instead of RCsailing.

The 3R is an interesting concept for experimenters and psuedo genius types like me. Well isn’t the IOM, US1, M, 10R and even the Footy enough to agonize over? They are established classes that let our creative juices flow. Why in the name of common sense do we need to promote another class that might accomplish the same purpose?

An excellent question! Before I trundle out an opinion, who is asking, please?

messabout
i think you missed a point here
you are talking about 2 different things here. you get a first boat. say like a seawind. and you sail it for 2 years. then what? the people that are into the hobby. will want to try other boats? do they try another seawind? of course not. they going to go into a us 1 meter or a IOM. then after that. who knows.
well after sitting pond side during a lunch break. we all talk boat stuff. and poeple think they know what they are talking about. this is what this class is sort of about. and the next step. after a IOM. where do you go? you can stay all your life in the IOM class and be happy.
all we are doing here. is making a choice to a sailor WHO has experience. the 3r class IS NOT FOR A BEGINNER. there are just way too many decisions to make.
lets see what dan and lester come up with

Cougar;
I defer to your reasoning. I was thinking in the broader term wherin we are interested in attracting new RC sailors. There are infinitely more prospective sailors than there are established ones. I am near the front of the line among those who tinker with new, even semi radical stuff, but I am not the most likely prospect for a new class because no one in my area has a 3R or is likely to build one…

Florida, where I live, has dozens of RC sailing clubs. The most overwhelmingly popular boats are the easy ones like Seawinds, Soling1M, Victorias, etc. Yes we have a large contingent of EC12 sailors, a bunch of IOM and US1 sailors. Those guys are in love with their class and they ain’t about to mess with a boat that they must design for themselves. A few of them could do so but they won’t. These days everyone seems to want instant gratification. That’s why seawinds and such are popular. Take it out of the box and go sailing.

The 3R class came to my attention two or three years back. My impression at the time was that it was the brain child of a person with a laser cutter whose main business was making jigsaw puzzles. I am not making that up. I think he is somewhere in Massachusetts. He was in the process of promoting the class through AMYA. The rules were in the formative stage and one of them was that no concave surfaces were to be allowed. That preliminary rule fractured the design notions that I was having. Resigned to failure, I went back to the lake to sail my other boats.

A rating rule class, that has LWL in part of the formula, will have complications. The real LWL can only be measured while the boat is in the water. That means that regatta committees will need a test tank. EC12 people have such things, but the 12 sailors can make very good eyeball estimates of legality. The 12 is a one design and they are all essentially the same. The 3R being a developement class will have no such uniformity. O.K. we can get past that detail. After LWL we can go through the tedium of measuring SA.

I respectfully submit my comments and apologize for being a naysayer. I prefer to think of my position as an exercise in realism rather than an exercise in curmudgeonry.

Messabout

I, for one, welcome discourse, discussion and dissention. If we all were quiet, there would be a lot less classes of boats from which to choose. It is also really easy to get one’s head “Inside” of a class and miss the focus of things and issues important to other people.

I think we all know of one boat, one class, one design that would be outrageous, fast, exciting to drive, and a real challenge. If that boat was priced at $300 with radio, and didn’t have to be home-built, there would still be one or more folks standing around saying … “ya but”

You make an excellent point and I have long endorsed the philosophy of Instant Gratification sailing, as you metioned. The 3R class is really a builder’s boat and it requires decsions to be made about design, weight, draft, sail area. A few will enjoy that challenge and will build to see if they guessed right. But, as you said, many more will only want to make only one decision - “Is the wind blowing?” (sometime difficult even to make that decision)

I like the idea of the class, but prefer a more modern design. I just am not into long overhangs as I noted to Dan in private email - and when a plumb bow becomes a handicap that impacts other ideas or the looks of the boat, I feel I must pass.

In the long run, I believe it isn’t a question of which boat is next for someone, but more of a question “how do we get folks to try building it?” I’m not even sure off-the-shelf availability would provide an impact.

then again … maybe it would ? :stuck_out_tongue:

lol :stuck_out_tongue: maybe we need to get one guy involved? i know he had alot of great idea. some even proven.
do you think we need to talk too.
wait for it…
doug lord?
:devil3:
cougar

Aiiiieeeeeyaaaaa ! :nuts: :censored: :trouble: :mes:

Dick; You make valid points in a commendably articulate manner.

Is that last post, with the loud exclamation, to be taken as approval or as “run for the hills the dam is broken”? Kidding aside, Doug has done some remarkable work. He is just so immovably dedicated to foils that he can’t seem to get outside the concept.

I may build a 3R foiler one day when I have ingested tee many martoonies.

Just be a strong swimmer - or have a good PFD ! :wink: :rolleyes: