Tales of Harpies and Pond Sprites...

Sorry Allan I missed answering this before. Yes this is the great Pringle lid trial :p. This was a decent test in a good blow and happily it did stay dry inside the hull. I had some condensation on the inside of the lid which collected into a drop by the end of the morning. Or it’s possible that moisture was attracted under the edge of the lid by the sailcloth pull tab I have had to use because the snap ring design is not right yet. As mentioned on the cover thread I need to change the rings to allow me to lift the lid a little to get a grip under it’s edge. One drop after 2 1/2 hours sailing quite boisterous sailing isn’t bad though. It was very convenient to be able to just snap the lid off when I was finished… I definitely like it.

The forward patch is from sticky back plastic and will only need to be lifted to get to the receiver and sail servo. I cut a few spare patches with a template so they can be easily replaced.

Graham

Graham - Try drilling a tiny hole high in the transom. This may help the condensation situation. Condensation inside the hull is caused by moist air in the hull and the difference in temperature between the immersed part of the hull (cold) and the deck (heated by the sun). The hole will allow some air exchange that may reduce dampness inside the hull, as well as equalization of interior air pressure build up that has been observed “popping the top” of a well sealed plastic hatch cover.

Or you could build a mini dorade box.

Not that hard. There are more than one design, but the idea is a box on the deck that allows air to pass, but is baffled so that water will find it easier to run back out.

My buddy built two for his 28 footer in a week of spare time work in the evening. Worked very nicely.

Pete

Thanks Neil, I suppose have that already through the exit tube I am using for the main sheet. The inside diameter is about 2mm allowing air and the thread to pass. I have been collecting small packets of silica-gel which I intend to try when I remember.

Sounds fascinating Pete, I have not heard of such a device. I am not actually getting water in the hull though, just a condensation drop on the inside of the lid. I saw the same on the clear taped down covers I use too.

A sunny day while the water is still cold is part of the problem too. Our small lake warms up nicely later in the summer and an evening sail will produce no condensation… as per Neil’s explanation. In fact I sailed an hour or so yesterday evening without condensation so I suspect direct sun is the main component at work here.

Graham

It does look good Nigel… s’good nuff reason in it’self. I am finding that in the material I use this shape main gives a good amount of roach without needing any battens. I like to be rid of battens if I can.

Pond Sprite/Harpy is carrying a big jib too, 60% of the main. I want to find out how big I can go without losing balance. This rig gives me a nice easy weatherhelm. Tacking needs to be a little more deliberate than with a Kittiwake for instance but is not difficult. Just a little rudder trim to soften the luffs and it beats hands free. My approach is that a large jib will give me better balance on the run down wind. This appears to be working as it sails downwind pretty straight and steering remains effective.

On a large ‘A’ rig (actually the Kittiwake ‘A2’ rig as published) I am using a little less jib at the moment with a larger one to test.

Lots more sailing to be done… I’m not complaining though :slight_smile:

Graham

We held our first club Footy regatta this last Sunday which gave me a good chance to see how Pond Sprite/Harpy compares to my other boats. The wind was light and reasonably steady, we sailed a triangular course with a long beat to the windward bouy.

I rigged Pond Sprite with sails of very similar area to my previous design, Siren to get a closer comparison. All four of us are pretty capable sailors. The results can best be seen at this link, formatting here isn’t the easiest. http://www.scalesailing.com/samyccal.htm

If it’s of interest I’ll keep you up to date with our club races through the summer.

Graham

The Sheboygan event was a good test for Pond Sprite, taking second place. It was an interesting fleet with a variety of boat designs and some experienced skippers up front. Trying to stand back and see where she did well (rather hard when you’re her daddy) I would say that she was very good downwind and as quick as any on the beat.

In the early races I suffered from some ill thought out starts and a small lack of sail for the conditions. Later as the wind came back Pond Sprite looked impressive overall and started winning.

Downwind she tracks almost straight hands off, due I believe to her large 60% jib balancing well with the main. Despite the small rudder compared to some she maintains the powerful steering of the Kittiwake. To the point where on the few occasions I have had the bow under water Pond Sprite can still be steered with authority. I think this boat is worth persuing.

At the event was a Razor with a Pringle™ lid hatch, the Pringle Virus has started to spread.

Graham