SiREN, a boat for Wood Lake '07

Anyone for multiple masts?:graduate:

uh oh… sounds like we have a “british schooner vs an american sloop” coming up… how will it end?:graduate:;):devil3:

Then it could look awful twice…!

I consider SiREN an English schooner built on American soil Barret :rolleyes: and without doubt the schooner will prevail.

Graham

But Graham, there’s always room for a Footy:devil3:

Let’s hope that Chicago security agree!

Since you took up being an enemy alien, they should be the easy lot.

My status always seems to confuse you Angus… British Citizen, USA Permanent Resident. Best of both worlds for easy entries so far, last time I arrived back here I got a very nice ‘welcome home’ from a guy who had just turned the couple in the queue ahead of me an ashen shade :scared:

Long may it continue, having two countries to call home is kinda nice. We shall lift a jug to it on saturday night :zbeer:

But despite having said the previous, 420sailor, I do have USA emblazonned on my jib and I will do my best to keep the native Brits at bay… do I have your rousing support?!! I hope so… I may well need it!

Still no RC installed in SiREN but I hope to have my hands on a new set in a day or two.

Graham

I’m cheering for you Graham! Kick Angus’ butt.

Butt was kicked John, butt was kicked:devil3:… including mine a little :rolleyes:

oh dear, was there some humble pie served at “Slithy Tove” this year?

serves self a large slice i shoulda been there!!!:devil3:

It was rather good pie really :). A good skipper (Alan W.) and his standard ScaleSailing Kittiwake beat me and SiREN into second place… I can live with that :D.

The facinating thing to watch was how the varying wind, although always strong, did shift from favouring Siren’s larger area A rig to Kittiwake’s smaller standard A rig. I did have a Kittiwake A rig for Siren and that is the choice I should have made. Siren’s best two races were when the wind lessened just a few mph I would guess, then she pulled away strongly and won one. The second Siren led until the downwind leg of the second lap when the wind rose dramatically and she was totally uncontrollable on the run. Kittiwake squirelled her way past me from a leg back to win!

Before racing started the wind was very strong and I was sailing Siren on her B rig. This is about as large an area B as I could design without going to a gaff rig. She balanced very well on the B and looked fast hands free, ran easily under full control and quite frankly I thought I had it in the bag. So I started the first two races on the B rig… the wind dropped just a little and I was left standing by Kittiwake on the beat and reach legs. This is a lesson I needed to learn only once (ok twice). I switched to the A and although the run was ugly it was controllable most of the time and I had my speed back on the important legs. The last race which was abandonned before it started because we actually had white caps on this little pond and standing was getting difficult would have been a B rig race. I had changed rig in preperation for it. From which I have to come to the conclusion that the B is practically impractical and my focus will be on choosing the right A for the day and making the best of it in future.

The day was great fun though and very educational. What will I do? Well I will work on an A rig a little smaller than the Kittiwake rig for very windy days like this. On the B rig I had used an assymetric pivit on the gooseneck so as to add twist as the main let out, this worked well I think. So I will apply that and try to come up with a windy weather A which will balance areas when on the run in an attempt to reduce broaching. This may take some time :rolleyes:.

Graham

Graham, not sure if you are back over this side yet. If you’re going to be able to make it to the Daytona pond on Oct 7th, and if you need directions from Ormond Beach let me know, I’ll provide. We plan to sail from 10am, south end of the pond (off Nova Rd) It’s the first weekend of our Fall Footy Points series, so we should get a few races in. cheers, Paul