Seawind or CR 914???

I currently own a laser. This was my entry into rc sailing due to simplicity. I am very pleased with the boat and am definitely hooked on this hobby. However I am feeling the need to add to the fleet and am ready to attempt some building/assembly. I have spoken to several people regarding both the seawind and the cr914. I must say that I have never met a more enthusiastic willing to help group of people. I have heard great things about both boats and the cost seems to be a wash. Support from the Cr914 seems outstanding. Seawind also has a great website. I more than likely will not be racing, just daysailing by myself. Obviously I am torn and would appreciate any insight you can all provide. Thanks in advance for your time.

The CR will out sail the Seawind in most every condition. It’s just a real good boat with a very well run class.
BUT, if you are considering boats like these then I would like to suggest another, The ODOM is within the price range here and is a better sailing boat then either of these two. Even the Soling 1M is a better sailing boat that will give you tons of fun.

I have no knowledge of the ODOM, but will definitely do some research. Does it come in a kit form comparable to the cr and seawind? How would you rate the buliding process relative to the others? thanks

I have had the chance to sail both a Seawind (which I own) and a CR914–though it was in fairly light air.

First, the CR914… (36" long) it has an awesome class association with a fine newsletter that I find very interesting, even though I don’t own a CR. The boat sails very well, and it is a strict one design class, in that very few modifications are allowed to the boat. The idea behind this is that it’s the best skipper, and not the person with the most trick equipment and expensive add ons that decides the outcome of races (much like the RC Laser) The boat (so I’ve heard) is relatively easy to build, so that’s a plus. It’s available through two distributors that I am aware of–Chesapeake Model Yachts in Maryland and th RC Sailing Center out of Colorado. The price is around $450 if I’m not mistaken.

The Seawind–(39" approximately) This was the first RC boat I ever bought, and it is similar in price to the CR914. A boat with radio and servos can be bought for around $430 from Tower Hobbies. The boat is made by Kyosho, which makes many RC vehicles, and the advantage here is that the Seawind can be bought or ordered from almost any hobby shop. It is very easy to build, and can be finished in a weekend if you don’t paint it, or in a week if you do. It has great scale looks–similar to a 95ish IACC boat. One of the trade offs for having the great looks is a very narrow bow entry, which can sometimes cause the boat to submarine a little in heavier air. As long as you have a decent waterproof hatch design this isn’t an issue. Parts for this boat are extremely easy to come by through Tower Hobbies–a fact that I’ve been very happy about when I’ve lost this or damaged that since I’ve had it.

Like the CR, the Seawind class rules at the moment revolve around a strict one design approach. Very little modifications are allowed to the kit, for the same reasons that were stated earlier.

I have not raced these boats side by side, so I am unaware of their performance differences specifically, but I can say they are VERY similar in many respects. I think the Seawind is an EXCELLENT performer (for a commercially available kit) in light-medium air. That’s not to say that it can’t be sailed in heavier air, because it performs adequately there too.

Neither boat can compete with the ODOMS or US One Meters because of their taller masts, deeper keels and lighter weights. However, both are easier to build (more prefabricated parts) than a Soling or an ODOM, and in the case of the ODOM, they are also lower priced.

For an even better introduction to the growing Seawind Class, the definative place to visit is the Seawind Resource Center at www.seawindrc.com . This web site is in my opinion one of the best sites created for promoting a boat. There have been several new Seawind sailors that were convinced to buy their boats based in large part to that web site and the helpful skippers that use the forum section. Before you make your decision you should definately visit the site and have a look around.

Finally, the Seawind Class Owners Association is much newer than the CR 914 class. However, it is one of the fastest growing in the AMYA, going from 23 members to 46 in just a few months. Of course, the CR914 class has many more members, but they have also been around a long time. Either boat is a good choice in my opinion.

Both boats are great. I would look to see which boat is more actively sailed in your area, or at least your region–it’s not as fun sailing alone as it is with others.

Good luck in your decision, and happy holidays.

Andy Rust
Seawind #149
Victoria #556
Victor Cup Class America3