sailkote

The team I used to race with (40 foot offshore racer) would hire a diver to come once a week and clean the bottom of our boat. I knew of many teams that would do this. We also paid to have our bottom repainted each year after haul out. Bottom scum is a big problem for boats that stay in the water all year.

This is where Sailkote seems to excel - as a replacement or even an improvement over antifouling paint. If we could have avoided scum build-up without hiring that diver each week, and repainting each season, that would be a big benefit. It sounds like that is what a lot of the teams are doing.

To the extent that if you eliminate scum you will go faster, sailkote can be thought of as a go-fast item. However, for RC boats, bottom scum is not generally a problem. So I doubt this stuff has much to offer…

Will Gorgen

An application note: Ron Rosenberg of Team McLube says Sailkote is applied to hulls after wetsanding NOT instead of.
Until doing the research I had no idea that Sailkote would keep pond scum off of hulls. There are several lakes around this area that have a fine green slime that gets on hulls around waterlines particularly.
Seems to me that you coudn’t lose using this stuff on models or fullsize boats…

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing

Doug,
well i ordered one and will test next year…my sailing time is over…SNOW!!! nxt time i ll go sailing in March…so i got plenty of time to study and try things

thx for everything on this subject

Wis (unhappy 'cause of SNOW[:(]

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

Received an e-mail today from Ron Rosenberg of Team McLube he added these sailors tothe list of full size sailors who use Sailkote on their hulls:Vince Brun, Ken Read,Terry Hutchinson,John Kostecki,Mark Reynolds, Ed Baird …
He also said they have a “University in Holland” doing research on Sailkote.

Doug Lord
microsail.com
monofoiler.com
High Technology Sailing/Racing