Rig Nomenclature

Just the obvious…

A rig rule doesn’t change the boats, doesn’t favor anyone except the guy with multiple rigs, and only hurts the guy that doesn’t have multiple rigs. Should he be forced to have a quiver of rigs to sail against the serious racer? Or should they both be limited to one rig other than the storm rig? That way the serious racer can still have all his rigs, just has to choose wisely for the day of the regatta. I think more boats will stay competetive with the existing rule, and that’s good for the class. So I guess I’m against a rule change.

A battery rule…fundamentally changes the game. Existing boats were designed with the extra weight in mind. The performance difference between new and old boats would be much wider than is possible now. So I’m even more against this one.

Just my $0.03 (adjusted for devaluation of dollar)

That may be the way it will go Allan. Moving to a ‘2-rig’ rule is a way of keeping the rules international in my opinion. Without it the regional nature of the current rule may encourage regional decisions to be made. We have just seen it happen at on open regatta here in the USA.

Overall the change would appear to be in the spirit of the development class ideal. We currently can carry a quiver of ‘A’ rigs and a quiver of ‘B’ rigs if we wish so the change under discussion would not change that for those who wish to make lots of sails. In reality a ‘broad band’ sail is still going to be more useful that a group of ‘narrow band’ sails in the real conditions we find at the average inland pond.

I guess that sums up my thoughts on the matter, feel free (as I’m sure we will) to agree or disagree :slight_smile:

Graham

This whole rig argument appears to be regional in nature. I suppose that my next poll might ask :- who has actually raced their Footy in an organised event, ;- who has ever raced with a class legal ‘B’ rig if so what rig did the boat that won the event use :- what part of the world do you sail in. There aren’t many of us in the US (that I know of) who have ever seen or used a ‘B’ rig, let alone raced with one. If the worry of multiple rigs is cost, what does a Footy rig really cost. A complete rig whether low tech UK style supermarket bag,or high tech mylar film/carbon comes out at a lot less than US $10, even if you don’t recycle. So:- ‘Methinks some do protest to much’. {apologies to the Bard}