RG65 sail servo

got it in… doesn’t quite go 360*…

Hey Marc,

Read from another thread that you are using a Spektrum radio…can’t you increase your travel adjustment on your radio???

Brian

yeah thats with my end points maxed out…I wonder if maybe I got a 1/2 turn by accident???

and what about HiTec HS-55 ? good bad ?
ps. only 10 euro :slight_smile:

well, lost another GWS servo thats 2… I know the reason is the fact that I using full lipo unregulated…i’m getting about 6 months out of each GWS

so I guess I should put in a voltage regulator…o r make my servo’s easy to repalce…:slight_smile:

I recommend to use LiFePos instead of LiPos. Most servos are working with a 2s LiFePo quite well. LiFePos have only 6.6 V and cannot burn when treated wrong.
However, GWSs can also burn with 4 NiMHs …

I would never use a GWS sail servo with more than 6V. Make a cable with 2 diodes. The diodes will cut down the voltage by about .3 V each. In combination with a 2s LiFePo you will end up with 5.9 V at very low cost. Unfortunately, I have no access in the moment to the right diode types. I have to check it later …

Hi,
here are the promised types

BYV 79-200
BY 550-50
BYW 20E

Voltage drop at low currents (only receiver) about 0.35 V, increasing with load to about 0.85 V per diode @ 2A

just pick any two of the diodes you have listed and then wire them in series or parallel?

I have committed to the lipos and so far the GWS is the only servo thats giving me grief about the extra volts… which is not a surprise. I am not upset about the gws being unable to not handle the volts. you get what you pay for…:slight_smile:

Hi,Marc,
in series, otherwise you have only the voltage drop of one diode.

For LiPos, even the two diodes are not sufficient.You have to go for a BEC. Maximum current should be not below 3A for a RG65, possible power dissipation should be not less than 7,5W peak @ 5V (3A * 2,5V voltage drop) or 4.5 W @ 6V output voltage. The power dissipation may be higher as long as the battery is fully charged. You can have input voltages up to 8.4 V (which will result in another 3W)…

I have been using a gws winch servo on 2s lipo and two diodes. It has been over a year now with no issues. I did kill a hitec servo with the same setup. Btw voltage drop of a diode is .7 volts under load.

only as a rule of thumb for a silicon diode. The exact value depends on material, type, and current(!)

Has anyone tried the (GWS Micro D MG) servo? 81 oz/in Torque @ 4.8V, 93 oz/in @ 6.0V.

Kurt