open source yacht design soft

1. I went back, downloaded and within about 30 minutes had a design. Not sure if it’s good or bad, but it’s there. I went to the “Linesplan” and turned off the color, also selected the black/white and the side view provides me with an 18 foot long hull… (no problem - I can scale it at photocopier). - BUT - I am seeing only 7 buttocks in side view. Where do I go to increase/decrease the number, and where do I see how “thick” they actually are? I suppose, I can also scale the beam of the hull and then divide by 7 which would give me the thickness - but if that doesn’t match my material stock thickness - I need to be able to work it backwards… [example: using 1/2 inch stock material for a “bread/butter” plug build, and having a 3 inch half-width hull, I need 6 buttocks, not 7 - so this is where I am trying to find where the control point is for number of buttocks - or - number of station templates if working on a strip build station method since I don’t need/want 30 plus stations.]

2. Us “multihull guys” don’t care about heeled hydrostatics - as long as it has enough sail to lift the windward hull - we’re kool ! :smile3:

dick,

what you looking for is on page 46 of the user guide.

you can reach the dialog box by going to calculations -> intersections, or the last button on the right of the toolbar.

I’m just the reverse of Dan. I use both Hullform and Freeship, but I’m more comfortable with Hullform. Maybe it’s because I learned Hullform first and have more experience with it.

Buttocks are easy to define and print with Hullform, and can be specified at any thickness you wish. I use 1/4." To define the size, first convert the default metric measures to feet/pounds with the “units conversion” command, then use the “view” command to specify the buttock display and size. You have to specify thickness in decimals of a foot, so 1/4" is .02. In metric, it’s about .006, but I think it’s more accurate to convert to English when using materials manufactured in the USA.

I really like Hullform’s ability to show heeled hydrostatics, but I really like Freeship’s ablility to develop plates for chine hulls. Both programs are pretty amazing.

Bill Hagerup

Thanks to you both, Bill & Dan …

I will give it a try and see what shows up on the screen. As I recall, I think I also have a version of Hullforms somewhere on the PC. Will see if I have anything to try quickly, or will use one of their demo boats.

OK - using Dan’s suggestion, it looks like it might have worked out 98% accurate. I got my 6 buttocks - but it seems to have dropped the center plane (profile) of the hull, so a bit more practice may be required. None-the-less, I was surprised at how easy and well I was able to manipulate the lines to get what I wanted to see, design wise. What I may try, is to print to full size and transfer to foam that I have resawn to 1/2 inch thick. A quick glue-up and some ulttra-coarse grit paper and there should be a pile of blue foam sawdust on the garage floor - except temps are being suggested tonite for a 5 degrees. Maaybe will have to wait for warmer weather.

Anyway - here is the view DXF converted to JPG of buttocks that I grabbed from Freeship data. :jester:

Another shot of my next 3R. Cougar is going to be jealous, because after each design iteration, she looks more like an Americas Cup boat.

The scientific calculator has been getting a workout converting the units I think in (inches), to the units currently excepted by Freeship (feet). I hope the next release includes more units.

ok smart ass
its now on. i was going to wait for a bit. to see how my 3r worked. but now. YOU have a 3r sailor in canada. you listen to me. this new desing looks great. i will do a new one. and someday i will come to chicago and we get it on. lol
the new design dan. how did you get the waterline to show a different colour?
never seen that before. it is usefull to see what the underwater shape looks like. intellicad does not do it.
great looking boat btw. how do you steer the thing? i dont see a rudder or keel? strange? must be a new yankee technology
Cougar
hey you guys. anybody up for the challenege of designing your own boat. dan and I have been talking all the time about this class. I am on msn. you could add me. and we could chat. dan is also a ( i cant beleive i am saying this) good guy( uggggggggggg) he can chat too . about designing. we could help
cougar

You’ll need more than just the zoom function to work on something small- measured in inches. But since you’ve got 1/100 foot precision, it’ll be fine. That translates into 0.1 inch increments on the screen.
:cat:

Tom the software has resolution of 1/10000 of whatever units you are using. Thus resolution is 12/10000=.0012 inches.

On screen size has no bearing, Because you have infinite zoom ability. :banghead:

To me, what yuou can get on the screen has a lot of bearing. I want to see the whole design on the screen so I can see how the curves and such look. It is important to see the entire hull when creating the shape. The limits the definition some, and the computer hardware isn’t precise enough to place the control points with that 0.0012 foot ccuracy. Unless you do it old way like with AutoCad 3/4 by typing in the points.

You can manipulate the points in 3 ways.

1. Drag drop with mouse
  2. Manually enter like cad
  3. Set a tolerance and move them a set tol. Using the arrow keys (I use .001)

Before you comment on software, you should down load it and look at the user?s manual. It seems pretty obvious that you have not done this.:banghead:

I have the software, and I did read the help stuff. With the whole boat on the screen, even the fine movements don’t help much.

Your head must hurt a lot.

:scared: … :censored: … :trouble: … :watching:

Amazing how you can communicate with “smilies” !

IT and scientist…so I have read:banghead::bravo:

And I did read the manual. It is lengthy and isn’t easy to understand.

Lengthy? You have got to be joking.

Do you understand hull design terminology?

How come you went back and deleted all you posts on this thread?

not that it ever happend around here:halloween

I recently downloaded the latest version - Awesome . Really great graphics.
I still like Hullform for all of the Data it can give and luckily it isn’t too hard to convert HF offsets to a format Freeship can handle. Seems to be able to accept VRML exports from Hull form also. Just have to rotate things around to line up properly.

Exported some designs to Michlet, also very interesting.

I just finished something that I didn?t think was possible with Freeship. It took me a few tries, but I can now say with authority that it is possible to make a skiff style deck within Freeship. The hardest part was figuring out how to fillet all the edges.

Hi,
has anybody an idea how to convert a FreeShip file into a Hullform compatible one? I just tried to convert the “coordinates” textfile by hand, but as I understood, Hullform needs the coordinates in a form which represents stations and lines simultaneously.

Is there a tool available?