Open footy

How about a ring rule? The boat can be anything as long as it can pass through a 30cm ring in sailing trim. You can call it the tavern puzzle class.

I think the box rule it open enough as it is. We have only begun to scratch the surface of what a Footy can be. Have you seen the Footy cat?

the pics are crap quality, but here they are. i just quikly primed the plug and scribbled a window with marker, to give some looks. i’m still in the process of fairing the wee hull, to make it perfect for casting.

some more pics

some more again

yet more pics

here’s more again

yeah! … getting sexier … can you post hydrostatics?

how do you get a cat in that box … there are f48’s that are wider than they are long

It’s a 12x6" cat. He’ll need ballast, maybe even bulb keels. He’s going to put it in the water this weekend. It’s on the FootyUSA yahoo group. It was suggested that he try the 6x12" wide stance but he’s trying this first. Footys are great because you can quickly try an idea.

i know nothing in Fluid Mechanics i make shapes, test them, then see what needs to be done. my friends are the naval architects, i am the composite builder.

freeship could do the job in about 1/2 hour … if you’re not too concerned about sharing hullshape (simple plan, profile and body plan drawings would suffice) the following co-ords can be generated …

… i’ll give it a go if you wish … it may help others visual and comment on the project

trevor paetkau

ps … ignore the actual measurements … they come from a different project … they will, however give you an idea

Design length : 3.000 [m]
Length over all : 3.130 [m]
Design beam : 1.267 [m]
Beam over all : 1.071 [m]
Design draft : 0.073 [m]
Midship location : 1.500 [m]
Water density : 1.000 [t/m3]
Appendage coefficient : 1.0000
Volume properties:
Displaced volume : 0.065 [m3]
Displacement : 0.065 [tonnes]
Total length of submerged body : 3.015 [m]
Total beam of submerged body : 0.831 [m]
Block coefficient : 0.3559
Prismatic coefficient : 0.5680
Vert. prismatic coefficient : 0.5157
Wetted surface area : 1.783 [m2]
Longitudinal center of buoyancy : 1.490 [m]
Longitudinal center of buoyancy : -0.324 [%]
Vertical center of buoyancy : 0.049 [m]
Midship properties:
Midship section area : 0.038 [m2]
Midship coefficient : 0.6266
Waterplane properties:
Length on waterline : 3.015 [m]
Beam on waterline : 0.831 [m]
Waterplane area : 1.730 [m2]
Waterplane coefficient : 0.6902
Waterplane center of floatation : 1.316 [m]
Entrance angle : 17.146 [degr.]
Transverse moment of inertia : 0.071 [m4]
Longitudinal moment of inertia : 0.832 [m4]
Initial stability:
Transverse metacentric height : 1.138 [m]
Longitudinal metacentric height : 12.768 [m]
Lateral plane:
Lateral area : 0.151 [m2]
Longitudinal center of effort : 1.661 [m]
Vertical center of effort : 0.044 [m]

Very nice looking hull. Is there enough room inside for 2 servos, a receiver and a 4 cell AA battery pack? I’d love to try one out

Hew
Footy #28 and working on hull #29

i don’t know yet. gotta get one out of a mold that hasn’t been cast yet. it looks close as far as height goes, but there are many servos out there. i know that the footy class is pretty tight, as far as radio stuff goes, but maybe the vessel, being more open, could use whatever rc stuff works best, maybe not? i origionally made this model to go on my mantle, when i saw there was rc boats this size, (rig size, micro stuff from cars and helis, etc.) i decided to turn the nodel into a plug, and will produce hulls. i have a shape, now just need to adapt the shape to competitive rc use. still have alot of r&d to do. one of the reasons i would like to get a few out there for people to muck with, get some feed back and get a good product out there. as far as modern shapes, top class lamination techniques, and the most advanced materials go, i got that licked (freezer full of sp’s finest prepeg just to name a few.)first step is to get some to my naval engineer buddies. one on the east coast of canada, and one in france. they’ll confirm shapes, stresses and what not. then some for a few of y’all to muck with (one to the angus chap first). when all sorted out, i will start mass producing them.

here is some newer plug pics. plug is almost ready for casting. apendages are almost ready for pics. will upload them when done.

here is some newer plug pics. plug is almost ready for casting. apendages are almost ready for pics. will upload them when done.

some more photos

and some more

yet again, more

once again, another

here is the last