Open Footy Multi?

i totally agree with you dick, hobby horsing is the last thing we are looking for, [and those hobie 16s are the pits, espessially when you pitchpole one!] i think “rocking” may not have been the best term for what i was trying to say, about the perptually forward oriented movement of “fast” boats through a sea. if you look again at, Playstation - to use a cat example - its bows always seemed to be coursing through the waves, but never rising as high as they went down. [because of the reserve bouyancy the bows rarely buried, but the boat constantly seemed to “pitch” forward, not aft.] this happens on monos too, [think vendee boats, or VOR 70s] anyhow, jus’ thoughts!:sly:

Sorry Barrett, don’t understand that. If you can that process on as I rrad you, you end up with the boat standing vertically on its bow - which I am sure is not what you meant.

Happy New Year

my father and i were just talking about this last night. most of the fast boats in the world have a rocking forward motion, i.e. they dive until the reserve bouyance stops them, then they rock back until the flat aft surface stops them. very short, forward-oriented sliding.
just some thoughts!:stuck_out_tongue:

once again, i forget all of what i am trying to say… sorry. these are just thoughts we have been tossing around over dinner, and i may not be representing them as well as i ought… =/

Got you. First 1/4 ton I drew that was built was a disaster because it got that wrong. Fine bow with a fairly V-ed section (don’t always trust fathers _ mine side that the original rather conservative U-section would slam) and a very long flat overhang aft. Pitch up, centre of bouyancy moves aft a bit, centre of flotation goes aft a long way.

Pitch down - down part of cycle starts like a runaay lify and there’s nothing to stop it hydrostatically or dynamically.

Result, total hobby horse. Windward performance ->> 0.

Pitch balance of ends is very important.

got the sponson flash done. in time, i’ll pop a few out to cobble together, and muck with.

Nigel -

here is the current thinking of a fast hull in a beach cat. This from the recently concluded 2007 A-Class Catamaran Worlds (won by Glenn Ashby - Australia)

Note the typical and extreme wave piercing bows, rather rounded and wide mid sections below the waterline, and the extreme rearward location of boards and rig relative to overall boat length.

Photo copyright by Lou Vest

yes, i’m noticing alot of wave-piercing designs lately.

gonna try that too.

One variable not accounted for in Dick’s A cat depiction is the range of movement of the sailor to counterbalance diving. Something that is not available to a Footy (mono or cat) due to the rule prohibiting shifting ballast. My guess is that surface piercing bows will do just that, and the rest of the boat will follow.

With the extremely long and biased forward buoyancy and relatively short distance from mast to stern, I would guess sufficient buoyancy might be there with exception of the most extreme of conditions.

Were I to try this, I would certainly go with a very low aspect ratio rig (short mast) to reduce mast “lever” effect going downwind. The A Class cat is 17 feet long, 7 1/2 feet wide, carries a 30 foot mast and 150 sq. feet of sail. All up sailing weight minimum is around 168 lbs. - with most new boats having corrector weights added. One could use these real dimensions to scale a FOOTY - but keeping the same ratio of mast (full size to FOOTY) one would have a 21 inch tall mast - way too tall for a boat without the movable ballast Neil discusses. I probably would start with a mast no taller than 15 inces or so - and begin my experiments there.

I had started on a “Mulit-Footy” (FEETY ???) before the rules were finalized, and found myself outside the box and looking in. Even considered twin masts - ala Phillips Catamaran sans broken bow section - one on each hull.

If there is ever a true “OPEN” and developmental design for a 12 inch long boat, but without all of the restrictions currently in place, I might get excited enough to go back to the design - or come up with something new. :wink:

Will watch to see how this one develops.

Nigel - just a note the F-48 Class IS looking for a legitimate U.S. builder - hulls and beams - kit or complete boat. Last two people tried to take orders, but a 5-6 month build time (or longer) resulted in no orders. Need to have at least one boat ready to ship “off the shelf” if we are ever to compete against the plastic department store boats. I know it’s a gamble and a cost to have boat on shelf - buy when a buyer gets excited - he wants the boat now - not 6 months into the future. When momma says it’s OK to buy another r/c boat you DO IT before she changes her mind and withdraws funding approval. :smiley:

Dick … a cubic foot rule was discussed, not with the exec mind you … if I’m not mistaken Nigel will build to these dimensions … you may also recall my drawings from awhile back … http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?t=3644for the original bluesky … like much, it will take some early adopters to complete some projects for the thing to codify … as for myself, if I had the time I’d have a go but at the moment paying the bills takes precedence … like you, I am watching with interest

Trevor

i agree with ya Dick. a shorter rig to start with. something that won’t over-power anything. then, add till it blows off the water i guess.

ya man, the box “mono-footy” rule DO NOT apply to this cat.
if the experimenters want to put some sort of sliding, fore/aft ballast device,
more power to’em.

Dick: as for f-48 builds, i’m swamped, and MUST finish my current orders so i don’t become like you mentioned. although, i have good friends now out of “full-size” boat building work, full of tallent, and hungry to concoct all sorts of things. three experts come to mind, and i will contact them immediately, regarding tooling/pruducing for you. we all (the four of us)
also have access to a big autoclave (big enough to do a transat minis, and we might in the future) it’s all about “favours and leverage”:devil3:

eh Trev.

part nearly done. working on the finish to make’em look nice and shiny:D

off topic:
i like this emo: :witch:
goes in theme with Lajabless, Sookooyah, and Mamaglo.
all to do with island witch-craft and such (Obiyah).