Onetwotwo

Hi Sylvain,
indeed for the sharp corners I will use narrower strips by cutting the actual ones (see sketch). Samba is my preferred wood, since easy sand , because is much stronger and less flexible then balsa under pressure. I will use balsa bloc for the bow section.
Cheers
ClaudioD

some progress about cockpit assembly. Balsa sheet is used for the floor after mounting some support sticks.
ClaudioD

Hi Claudio, just catching as I’m on the road again :mad: … fast work & looking very good, sounds like lot of summer testing coming up with so many boats in progress, looking forward to it :wink:

Cheers Alan

Nice to hear from you Alan !!
I suppose still on the other side of the ocean !
Yes I started with the deck mould with the idea to make a female mould later. It is the first time I do something like that. I use samba stripes because providing stronger construction once laminated. It is, nevertheless, fragile and I should manipulate it with care.
Cheers
ClaudioD

Happy Easter !

Cheers
ClaudioD

The deck shadows are removed.
Gross sanding performed.
Next, polyester filler will be used on the top side and then the inner side will be double coated with epoxy resin before external fine sanding.

ClaudioD

some new pics !
ClaudioD

the Hatch master before final sanding and lamination.
ClaudioD

Now that mounting for deck and hatch is completed while waiting for finishing the surfaces,
I started to mount the hull on the board. Shadows alignment check first !
ClaudioD

Looking good Claudio!
Although you’ve mentioned creating female molds, with the 1st hull & deck will you be taking moldings straight from the finished plugs?
She certainly looks a very slippery hull shape so should be pretty quick - as the old saying goes, ‘…if it looks right it is right…’
Looking forward to seeing further progress - it’s still not warm enough here for epoxy work, I’m thinking of getting some WEST as it can be used at much lower temps.

Regards,

Row

Hi Row,
more I progress and more I see how slender the hull is. As you says, it should be a very fast boat, after all it is as I was trying to do.
For the first model I will perform a direct lamination on the plugs. If it is real good as expected, then I will make a female mold for future developments if any.
Some more pics, today or tomorrow the hull will be finished too.
The outside temperature is still around 16°C therefore I will try to laminate inside my messy lab.
Cheers
ClaudioD

Keeping watching AC45 races, I managed to bond more stripes, for sure tomorrow the 123 hull will fully closed !
ClaudioD

PS :
One side fully closed, now the other side is underway !

No AC45 races today cause bad weather and too high waves.
The 123 hull coverage finished earlier then expected !
Here compared with a class M - Studio2 of 2004
ClaudioD

After several days of rain, today after a short sanding to remove major asperities.
This preliminary sanding work will be made easy with counter shadow templates as in the pictures.
I will brush epoxy primer coat to the exterior surface.
This operation will offer sealing of the surface before turning the plug and applying the epoxy resin inside in order to strengthen the hull for subsequent sanding operations up to the final polishing.

ClaudioD

Rough sanding completed, shadows partially removed to facilitate epoxy resin brushing.
Hull ready for external filler.
Start raining again.
Approached the deck not yet finished, just to see what would look later !
Here the new pictures
ClaudioD

PS: While raining I shaped the nose with the typical balsa bloc

Hi Claudio, I’m back home for a few days and really impressed catching up with your progress … great work as usual & looking like a real winner with narrow beam !!!

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,
glad to hear your come back.
Today was a sanding day !
Hull was done yesterday, the deck and hatch this morning.
Non is coming the technique that consist in “coupling” hull and deck with the use of some “spacers”.
This method will allow me to adjust carefully the deck line on both bodies the hull and the deck with fine sanding in order to overcome constructional tolerances.
The spacers are made from 2mm balsa and glued with cyanolite. With a cutter will be easy to detach the deck from the hull for subsequent lamination’s processes.
The pictures below show the process:

Cheers
ClaudioD

additional pictures
ClaudioD

Fairing completed, was almost not really necessary.
Bodies separated and stern repair initiated.

Next hull epoxy filler.

ClaudioD

Yet again, excellent progress Claudio!!
I’m now actually experiencing jealousy (!) just wish I could spend a fraction of your time in the workshop.
Sometimes wish my 2 1/2 year old would hurry up and develop a life of his own… - Not really, but the odd 1/2 hour to myself would be welcome.

Really enjoying this thread,

Regards,

Row