New Footy Kit....The V-12

Just to clarify my own position, and that of ScaleSailing I have quoted myself. Those of you who know me know that I am very competitive and when I put a boat on the water winning is my aim. I am personally not a fan of ‘one designs’.

I could not agree more that the strength of the Footy Class is in it’s development status, there was no suggestion about changing those rules, that was not the point of my asking at all.

The question I did ask has been clearly and passionately answered so thank you. I could not be more happy… designing development boats is far more interesting for me too. Please don’t get me wrong in thinking that I am pushing a one design class forward, my desires are quite different, I was here reacting to ‘rumours’ (which are there for all to see) about such things already in motion. If the answers had been “yes a one design is a great idea” then I would have offered my option into the market.

And no, the idea was never to reign the Kittiwakes into a one design class. The kit itself has changed several times already to ease construction and add ‘tunability’ which I hope illustrates my position in supporting the development class further, if only in a small way. The way those kits have been used for people to try out their own ideas pleases me just as much as those built as per instructions, seeing them is great fun and very satisfying.

Supporting ‘windling’ and ‘racing’…

Graham

Well, much ado resulting from my original post!

I welcomed George’s offering, as I did Graham’s, Dennis’s, Barrett’s…etc. Most of the USA registered Footys are kit built, so another kit could well encourage more Footy participation. I don’t see any of the kit offerings as a one-design threat.

I’m personally not in favor of a one-design spinoff, and there is no USA conspiracy that I’m aware of to do anything of the kind. Hopefully, the class will continue what is currently strong growth. With the number of Footys registered with AMYA 4 times what it was a year ago, we’ll be well-positioned next season for more fleet racing. That, it’s my fervent hope, will result in more Footy innovation…not less!!

Bill H

Tony,
Thanks for the excellent review of the V-12 kit. We will be interested in hearing your thoughts about it’s sailing performance. Your experience in competitive sailing other rc classes at a national level will offer a unique perspective. What other types of Footys are being built in the Twin Cities area?
Bill

In addition to my V12 we have a Pintail and a few Kittiwakes.

I had it out in 10 to 15 mph wind and it handled quite well. Yes, it tended to dive in a run but it could be managed and recovered easily. On a beat it seemed sell balanced and would seek the wind hands off on either tack. After about an hour of sailing it was dry inside.

I might get a chance to match with the pintail tonight.

I saw your results from the Sheboygan regatta. Congrats on the 2nd place overall. If you have another race over there let me know. Always good to have an excuse to drive accross Wisconsin for a race.

Sounds like it performed reasonably well. I like the fact that it was dry after an hour of sailing.

Graham may be coming down to Madison next Saturday for some daysailing on the big boat, assuming the weather is decent. Then I was hoping that on Sunday morning we’d join Fred, Bob & the guys at the pond for some Footy races in between the ODOM races. Why don’t you consider coming down? Maybe we could even set up one of the “Postal Classic” courses:
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?p=41151#post41151
Bill
Ps : Here’s some pix of the “new” toy I just bought. It’s an '85 Honda V45 Sabre, 700 cc. My wife says I must be having a mid life crisis…:wink: :wink:

now, THAT is a toy!:zbeer:

Hey Bill -

with the torch, hacksaw, and welder, we can have that baby ready for next summer’s “MILWAUKEE MILE” flat track racing. Making the conversion is easy - but if you want to race motocross, it will take an extra weekend or two of work ! :smiley: :smiley:

OK - if you don’t want to race, then it needs some leather saddlebags, a “sissy bar”, and some of those leather strips hanging from the handgrips that flap in the wind. Add some leather chaps that show off your “buns” to the women and stick a Harley decal on the side of the tank.

Actually, I didn’t think anything but Harley was allowed to be sold in the great state of Wisconsin.

:stuck_out_tongue:

OK - nice bike ! There, I said it !:cool:

I am just about to email you Bill to say that we can’t make it this Saturday 21st. The 28th is out too I am afraid because the WSBA (Wisconsin Scale Boating Association) come up to Wood Lake for a mixed regatta day. Week after that is clear :slight_smile:

Hi Tony… I think our group would be up for running another Footy Regatta before the ice comes this year. If so then I hope that you can make it across, where are you? Would you come again Bill?

Nice looking bike Bill…
Dick… in Beaver Dam Wisconsin you can buy a good bit of kit from my home country, well sort of :rolleyes: http://www.acemcmotorwerkes.com/showroom.html

Graham, I am on Minnetonka just west of Minneapolis. Its about 4 1/2 hours from Madison. Several of us have been over there to race with the Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago people. Lots of fun.

Bill, Nice bike. I sold an '83 Handa Magna 750 a couple of years ago. Engine very much like yours (V4 750). Now I have a 125 MZ scooter for casual evening rides around the lake. I am fairly tied up for the next several weeks including the Fairwind Natls in Ann Arbor Aug 11 - 12.

Footys are showing up more up here. Another one from Dennis DesProis (CF and all that). Another V12 on the way too. The Footys get a lot of comments on sailing nights from other sailors and the public as well.

I just started sailing my Footy and couldn’t be more pleased. We/ve got a few in the club (PMYC - AMYA 101) and I had kinda ignored them - but was interested. Not being able to build anymore, I bought one of Dennis Desprois’ RTS American Footy’s. Way fun! Leave it developmental - I look forward to sailing against a square-rigged or yawl-rigged or lateen-rigged…Footy… 'Member - it’s a hobby!

I know I shouldn’t escalate an off-topic post…but I can’t resist :wink:

Now THIS is a TOY! :zbeer:

Bill H

Now Bill, you are a VERY NAUGHTY BOY (if indeed you bought this).
Has your wife mentioned the words “mid life crisis” as mine did when I bought the motorcycle??

BTW, what became of the Z-3? I’ll buy it fron you cheap… :wink: :wink:
Bill

Actually, Bill, I’ve had the Cobra for 11 years. Well past the mid-life thing by now. I’m sort of planning to sell my BMW and use the proceeds to put a big block in the Cobra to replace teh 289 and rejuvenate a few things on it…but I won’t be letting the Bimmer go cheap!

In case there’s any Cobra replica fans in the group, mine is an early Superformance Cobra built in 1992. I bought it in 1996. It’s number 23 from their factory, and it was a prototype for their production cars. They’ve since become the premier Cobra replica company and have sold about 1700 cars. Mine was probably the first one that came into the USA.

Bill H

Congratulations Bill, you may have one of the few cars too small to transport a Footy. :lol:

Beautiful Bill… as a regular at the Road America Vintage Meets (Elkhart Lake) I love drooling over such machines :stuck_out_tongue: Lots of lovely english sports cars turn up there too so I can wave my little flag. Being a real ‘saddo’ I usually go wearing my Sheffield & Hallamshire Motor Club 100th anniversary Tshirt :rolleyes:

Graham

Graham, the Cobra was the perfect blend of English craftsmanship and American insanity! AC produced the (IMHO) most beautiful body design ever made, and Shelby stuck in a beast of a motor…the perfect car.

Bill H

i love the Cobra! any chance you want to “donate” it to a newly licensed driver?:lol::lol::lol::wink:

just kidding!