Multiple Jibbed schooners...

Don

Bable fish is great but at times it does screw up and there are “mystery words” I found sometimes I had to read a sentence 4 to 5 times to figure out what it says. But hey it is hte best translator I have found so far.
Now if I could find a latin to english (and reverse) it would be interesting.

Jeff
Alberta

“My three Vorsegel [foresails] are called fock [foresail], kluever [topsail] and flier[prob. “flieger” in original, babelfish guessed wrong; middle sail]. The fock [foresail] as Baumfock [boom foresail] like the grosssegel [mainsail] with a Schot [sheet] to the Baumnock [boom pole] over the main hoist driven that is nothing new.”

If you’re going to do much of this, you need to get a copy of "Paasch’s Illustrated Marine Dictionary’ ISBN 1-55821-650-2. Written in 1885, has all the sailing and steam terms in English, German, and French. Heavily illustrated.

Cheers,

Earl

Hi, Don,

I think you mean this sentence. "Meine drei Vorsegel hei?en Fock, Kl?ver und Flieger. Die Fock wird als Baumfock wie das Gro?segel mit einer Schot an der Baumnock ?ber die Hauptwinde gefahren. Das ist nichts Neues. "

My three hedsails are called inner jib or fore staysail, outer jib and yankee. The the fore staysail is club-footed like the mainsail with the sheet running from the end of the boom to the main winch. That’s nothing new.

I am not sure, wether “club-footed” is a common term for sails with a boom, but my dictionary says so.

regards from Germany
Joachim

For those of you who wonder how “flieger” translates into “yankee,” the latter name for a flying jib topsail came from the J boat “Yankee,” who flew some big ones. (The “rated” sail area was based on the fore triangle formed by mast, deck, and jib stay. Any area you could add by flying topsails, genoas, or the big “quads” was free. The quads were typically named after the percentage of the foretriangle they represented. “Ranger” had a 200% quad.)

Cheers,

Earl

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Don

I think I need a Babelfish translation-

“My three Vorsegel are called fock, kluever and flier. The fock as Baumfock like the grosssegel with a Schot to the Baumnock over the main hoist driven that is nothing new.”

I’ve read this a bunch of times and I’m no wiser. [:D][:D]

Thanks
Don
Vancouver Island
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

Oh MAN!!! I said that out loud and got my mouth washed out with soap!! Bleah!!!

BTW thanks for the translation, that was cool!!

Ahhh…I been out awhile and see Jaydee is MIA…what’s up with that…man I liked his posts!

I also got a email from Dan about some poll to decide the fate of this board? Can’t find the poll!

And…on the up side I got to do some sailing this weekend and took some pics. They are over at my webpage (action photos page 3).

http://princedeneufchatel.freehomepage.com

Here is the one I really like.

Download Attachment: IMAG0008crop2.jpg
34.65KB

Jaydee…come back!

Always choose the lesser of the two weevils!

I agree with your choice of photos. The little one that opens here on the forum doesn’t do it justice, but the larger image on your web site certainly does. Not sure, but for some reason I suspect the “original” schooners didn’t heel as much as your photos - maybe that’s why the one chosen looks so good. Actually, if one were not aware it was a model, the background makes it look like it just sailed up some river port about 100 plus years ago!

What are you using for your sails? Assume some kind of linen or cotton and inked to look like seams. What did you use to get the sail color - dye in tea or similar?

Defintely a nice job and great looking sailing model. Congratuations on a nice build!

Thanks Dick…She looks even more impressive in person.

I got in a very good day at the lake this past Friday. The first chance I’ve had to sail since the storm last June. Winds were out of the NE @ 10-15 gusting to 18-20. The prince sailed on the leeward side of the lake but got into some good wind out in the middle of the lake. She had water pouring out the gun ports as she heeled way over. (Wish I had pics of that!) I thought she was going to lay completely down a couple of times (I almost had a heart attack) but she never did. She sailed for 2 none stop action filled hours, and I was pleasantly surprized that she only had about a teaspoon of water below deck. I have never seen a full scale schooner in heavy winds…so I don’t know what is realistic. I can add to the spacer to lower the detachable ballast and allow for less roll if I want to. Not a real problem. What would the wind be equal to at 1/24 scale? Is 1 MPH really 24 MPH so that 10 MPH at full scale is really 240 MPH at the models scale? You follow that?

I also got to find out how heavy she is (about 50lbs)when I carried her into the water with out the dolly…whew! Man that wind didn’t make it any easier to do, but I don’t have a nice concrete ramp to dolly her down on.

I am thinking about designing a cart to push her around on based on a pair of bicycle wheels with sling or cradle, and the ship postioned between the wheels, bow pointed in the direction of travel. This would also allow me to roll her in and out of the house through the doorways…which the dolly will not allow
and also into the water.

The material is some exotic blend that came with the kit and was stenciled at the manufacturers.I don’t recall the name of the material but can look for it when I get home. It is light weight and melts like nylon with the solder iron and has to be melted on the edges to keep it from fraying.

Have nice day.

Always choose the lesser of the two weevils!