just for info:[:-angel]

http://www.apolloboatservices.co.uk/

worth a check!!!

mini40/F48 catamaran and trimaran

ultra 18 skiff

and some monohull…

i love his trimaran [:-angel]

Wis

PS: Anthony is a great guy…email him for infos!!!

PPS Dick…the Machete will be the ONE…just a matter of time now[:-jump2]

if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it!

http://wismerhell.esmartdesign.com/index.htm

Cool looking boats! Thanks for the site ,Wis!

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing

Hey Matthew …

You were commenting about a Musto skiff…

Check his website and take a look at his skiff. He “actually” builds and sells boats. He lives in the U.K. - so shipping might be less than for us over here. I was on verge of buying one from him (multihull) until I found the freight was more than the boat - due to size.

Wis - be sure you are sitting down when you ask for freight! The boats is light, but the box is “big” (size) so don’t be too disappointed if it becomes impractical. Only good way is to take a delivery on multiple order and share the freight.

Dick
its already hard to find someone to sail with…so for an multiple order…wow how i am going to do that? lol

but i might have found a solution…will ask to ship it to Europe…to my parents home…and next time I am back to Europe…hand package in the airplane…

Wis

I cant quite see how that can be a skiff, looks like a tri. Ive been in contact with the musto skiff guy, might get a test sail sometime depending on where he lives…

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

he lives in Cornwall and his name is Anthony…a very very very nice guy!!!

Wis

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Matthew Lingley

I cant quite see how that can be a skiff, looks like a tri. <hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

[:-bulb]Aaaa - Haaa Matthew - finally comes the dawn ![:-bulb]

Just another case of where a big boat that actually races CANNOT be made into an r/c boat and retain it’s scale appearance. Sort of like the photos of a MicroMoth that were around - needs floats or stabilizers while it is setting still, otherwise it falls over. Same problem with most monohulls - remove the lead keel and they all lay on their side. Same concept as in the Laser r/c class - remove the bulb and it falls over too. Not that it is bad, but in the case of Anthony’s skiff, he has chosen to keep it lightweight and performance oriented, instead of the other route where a bulb is added below the waterline and the stabilizing floats are removed.

Thus the “tendency by some people who post here on this forum to merely <u>suggest</u> that because it works in big boats, it doesn’t necessarily transfer to small boats!”

Now you can see another example of what some have been trying to say.

Some of us have thought about how to use movable ballast to simulate crew and hiking on an RC boat. But clearly that kind of talk is not welcome here anymore, so I will say no more.

Will Gorgen

Hey Dick, simple fact I have to put in here as a fulsize skiff sailor; they dont stand up without input from the crew and a bit of wind! I capsise my boat more in < force 1 than i do in a force 6, Our class wont start a race in under 4 knots for that reason… Seems model skiffs are just the same, what a suprise!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Will: This seems to be my “serious” day so let me be serious again.

Posting every now and then a “brainstom” of an idea on any subject makes for interesting reading.

However, someone inserting their personal ideas and obsessions into virtually ever conversation is boorish.

NOTE: I edited this down a lot, didn’t want to change the focus of the discussion.

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by Matthew Lingley

Hey Dick, simple fact I have to put in here as a fulsize skiff sailor; they dont stand up without input from the crew and a bit of wind!
<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>

So you ARE agreeing with me ----

1. either a crew, a lead keel or a set of small floats is required to keep the thing upright.

2. no moveable crew ballast is yet available on the market to add to the boat.

3. the lead keel would slow your “big” boat or this small one significantly, so it wasn’t used.

4. this leaves the outrigger floats as the only current alternative - so if Doug says they are OK on the Moth (“which sure looks like a trimaran to me”) - as you said, then it seems we are coming to an (assumed) agreement.

The big boat doesn’t (at this time) translate down to an r/c boat - and won’t until the moving crew that Doug was so hot on a couple of months back makes it mainstream. But of course, there is that darned “patent” thing to consider. If the “wings” were patented and only available from a single person - how popular would the class be - and how many choices would you have? One to none - as the patent holder could simply not build his idea - so the idea vanishes. (Hmmmm - boy, that statement sounded eerily familiar.)

Dick, That isnt the skiff I was refering to. The guy I e-mailed- Pat Clear is building a model based around this boat:

Download Attachment: [ 2003-8.jpg](http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/data/Matthew Lingley/200411619031_2003-8.jpg)
26.26?KB

From what Pat has said the model has no lead in the daggerboard, and relys totally on movable ballast. A prototype has been built and apparently tested, and it will be going into production sometime soon…

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

Sounds like he is from your side of the pond? Please do keep us updated on any improvements, prototype reviews or when the actual retail version hits the streets.

hmmm… look what i found on my hardrive.

[:-bonc01]

Download Attachment: musto1.jpg
42.67KB

Download Attachment: musto2.jpg
51.9KB

NICE nice nice!!!

where is it coming from??

Wis

<blockquote id=“quote”><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Arial, Helvetica” id=“quote”>quote:<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”>Originally posted by wismerhell

NICE nice nice!!!

where is it coming from??

Wis

<hr height=“1” noshade id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”></font id=“quote”>
Wis, That?s kinda what I said over a year ago. This was a boat that Doug was promoting back on Windpower about a year (or was it two??) ago as the latest and greatest. I inquired with him back then and he said that he had no info on price, that it was not available for sale yet, and that he would let me know as soon as it was. I really wanted one! The boat was designed and built by someone over in Europe I believe. It really had nothing to do with micoSAIL other then Doug trying to ?control? the US distribution.
I’m sure he will help clear this up.

[:-bonc01]

I see, but looks nice anyway

Wis

Yea, I agree, Looks like it would be a ‘kick’ to try and make it go.

As I recall this was a prototype boat from the maker of the Aquator 800(?) another boat with a moving man being used for ballast. That boat came from England and was the subject of a small story in Marine Modeler over a year ago; Doug Lord claimed he bought one and for a while his website suggested he might be the US distributor. In a recent post David Gobel listed the boats he owns and included an Aquator on his list, perhaps that is the boat originally obtained by Doug Lord.

For over ten years now either Robbe or Graupner has had a “laser” like r/c boat availble that also has a little lead filled man on deck that you can rotate around the boat with a servo. In fact, as he hits the sides of the boat his back is hinged so he looks like he is hiking. There has been one in Central Park for quite some time and it is an interesting novelty item, kids are particularly fascinated. I think the boat is still being produced.

The Aquataur A600 is a completely unique boat utilizing a movable ballast system (“crew”) that not only serves as ballast but is also used to right the boat when it capsizes.Capsize is possible because the boat has zero ballast in the water.
The workmanship on the boat is superb and it is a lot of fun to sail.Racing against other A600’s would be a real blast!
The new Musto Skiff will be a great boat based on my experience with the A600…
Movable ballast boats offer new challenges and you have to develop new skills to sail them well;it’s a lot of fun.
From a technical standpoint Pat Clears boats are unique in the realm of the new movable ballast boats since they utilize no underwater ballast at all and are thus capsizeable–but also rightable by radio.Multihulls using a Trapeze Power Ballast System are also capsizeable and NOT rightable by radio-at least so far.
Movable Ballast in a canting keel offers one of the best solutions since the ballast is always underwater so the boat can’t be capsized.Newer systems will feature combinations of on deck and underwater movable ballast…

Doug Lord
–High Technology Sailing/Racing